GWT: PL catch-up to MW 35 & 36

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is from the guy that does all the VAR analysis for ESPN

If you look at the side view though, he's not actually obstructing "vision of the ball" as Alisson can see over his head and the ball is well in the air.

upload_2021-5-16_17-30-52.png

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you look at the side view though, he's not actually obstructing "vision of the ball" as Alisson can see over his head and the ball is well in the air.

View attachment 434649
Which is why I wouldn’t have had a problem on if the goal stood. That being said more forensics is not a good thing either. That’s how I feel about VAR that’s how I feel about this. Allardyce put that player there to obstruct. Put a close call in the hands of the refs. If roles were reversed, people would be crying about the opposite.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I have to admit I was absolutely raging before he scored. Was probably in such a bad mood I would defend anything even if it was wrong.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So the refs are going to have to identify if the player is tall enough to have obstructed now too?

Yeesh, that's just a slippery slope.
If they are going to use VAR to determine whether the player is actually interfering with the goalkeeper, it's reasonable that they take the actual line of sight to the ball into consideration.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If they are going to use VAR to determine whether the player is actually interfering with the goalkeeper, it's reasonable that they take the actual line of sight to the ball into consideration.
I respectfully don’t agree. It’s not reasonable when you can just throw your shortest player up there and get off on that technicality.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The criteria should be if he is blocked from getting to the ball or not. Not blocked by the player. And in this case he wasn't going to get the ball even though he was blocked by the player. The goal should have stood but they have to make some adjustments to allow that.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The criteria should be if he is blocked from getting to the ball or not. Not blocked by the player. And in this case he wasn't going to get the ball even though he was blocked by the player. The goal should have stood but they have to make some adjustments to allow that.
Ideally this would be the rule, I agree with that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Alisson has a goal and an assist in the PL in the last 14 months.

Origi, Minamino, and Shaqiri do not. Oxlade-Chamberlain is level at 1+1.

I can't think of a better way to sum up our lack of offensive depth.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is much better than what is currently written

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as that offside call, I think it was bullshit but I couldn't give less of a f***.

Officiating cost us 5 points this year without blinking.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think this would be fair, yeah.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I respectfully don’t agree. It’s not reasonable when you can just throw your shortest player up there and get off on that technicality.
I'd be fine with that; if they're not obstructing why would it matter? If they do interfere then it's offside.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As far as that offside call, I think it was bullshit but I couldn't give less of a f***.

Officiating cost us 5 points this year without blinking.

The hits to our GD were worse than the points in some ways, considering that our season may now come down to GD. And there were tons of them. But now, in the end, I'm pretty sure that two more wins will save the season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The hits to our GD were worse than the points in some ways, considering that our season may now come down to GD. And there were tons of them. But now, in the end, I'm pretty sure that two more wins will save the season.
I think Liverpool have deserved to lose a lot, if not all, of the games that they have lost. They’ve gotten killed on those draws this year.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In a perfect world sure, but then, do you consider a player could jump, crouch, higher shoes, etc. I have visions of lines drawn from someone’s head in my mind that would be another travesty.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
In a perfect world sure, but then, do you consider a player could jump, crouch, higher shoes, etc. I have visions of lines drawn from someone’s head in my mind that would be another travesty.
Exactly this. VAR needs less tools, not more.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
When you realize that Gareth Bale has 9 goals and 2 assists in 883 minutes for Spurs this season. I haven't been following them closely this year is there a reason he hasn't played more? Was he injured?

It took a while for him to get his fitness level up, and then I think he more or less didn't really fit in with Jose's worldview.

Reactions: YNWA14

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't know what exactly the controversy is. This goal gets disallowed 10 out of 10 times and it's been that way forever. VAR has seen many disasters this year. This isn't one of them. Also eff Sam Allardyce.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Never before has a goal been disallowed for screening the goalie on a pass.
And I've watched football for 35 + years with and without VAR.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00