Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Lappy: Hi, P.K.
P.K.: 25 minute soliloquy.
Lappy: How you doing, P.K.?
P.K.: 45 minute monologue.
Tender: You see Pricer?
P.K.: 30 minute memoir.
Lappy: Well, it was great talking to you.
P.K.: one hour salutations.

I am glad we still have people who are filled with positive energy and want to share their experience to who ever wants to listen to them.

I sure do enjoyed this interview and i am glad Subban opened up so much and the guys let him speak without interrupting him.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Subban was a good player but could never live up to that contract. Was best suited to being a 1B or #2 type of D-Man. Being the highest paid D-Man in the NHL for several years was ridiculous. Glad he had that Cinderella run in Nashville. Career was pretty much over after that run and maybe the following season. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Subban was a good player but could never live up to that contract. Was best suited to being a 1B or #2 type of D-Man. Being the highest paid D-Man in the NHL for several years was ridiculous. Glad he had that Cinderella run in Nashville. Career was pretty much over after that run and maybe the following season. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may...

Completely ridiculous comment. He was top 30 D for most of his career and would've been #1 on many teams.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah Bergevin really messed up low balling him and bridging him. Pk was ready to sign a Pacioretty type of deal long term with a cap hit of about 5M.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah Bergevin really messed up low balling him and bridging him. Pk was ready to sign a Pacioretty type of deal long term with a cap hit of about 5M.
Worst, he could've signed him for 12x7 or 12x7.5 when Bargainbin came in. There was already talk that they'd cap contract lenght and CBA was going to expire a few months after Bergy's hiring. This was the last chance to sign really long term. He could've done both PK and Price this way. They might've cost us 15m per for 12 years. Both contracts would've ended this year and both of them would've ended on LTIR.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Completely ridiculous comment. He was top 30 D for most of his career and would've been #1 on many teams.
Well there aren't 30 #1 D-Men in the league, so we're probably saying the same thing. He wasn't a true #1 but he was very good playing with Markov or in a top 4 with Roman Josi.

Either way, the contract was horrible, and the NHL is tough for overpaid players. Look at Gallagher now. Everyone hates him on the site, but if he had a responsible contract he'd be a hero still.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Worst, he could've signed him for 12x7 or 12x7.5 when Bargainbin came in. There was already talk that they'd cap contract lenght and CBA was going to expire a few months after Bergy's hiring. This was the last chance to sign really long term. He could've done both PK and Price this way. They might've cost us 15m per for 12 years. Both contracts would've ended this year and both of them would've ended on LTIR.
I'd rather have Price and Subban at 15 millions on LTIR for a few years ending now than have gallagher at 6.5 in the lineup as a bottom 6 player for a few years ending in 3 years.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well there aren't 30 #1 D-Men in the league, so we're probably saying the same thing.

False narrative. How much spin does one need to avoid admitting something?

Forget Top 30, as I was using that solely to represent the position. Subban was well into the top 15-20 for most of his career and would've been number one on many teams. The fact a handful of dmen were better does not make him anything less than a #1D.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Those bad contracts are all on MB though not on the players. He lowballed players. He lowballed Patch, Gallagher, Subban, Price, .... Patch and Gallagher agreed to mid term deal. Subban did not he signed a bridge deal instead. Subban got paid first but they all ended up getting paid too much in the end after coming out of deals they more than certainly thought was unfair. I think Patch even fired his agent at some point. I'm all for team friendly deal but at some point a GM must be realistic and offer something the player will be at least comfortable with and wont go ballistic once it ends.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bring back #triplelowfive

I feel like Marty would support it
You know what always killed me about the triple low 5?

How PK was the only one who got heat for it, despite it being him and Carey.

And how now that sort of thing is celebrated around the league (thinking of Swayman/Ullmark).

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
False narrative. How much spin does one need to avoid admitting something?

Forget Top 30, as I was using that solely to represent the position. Subban was well into the top 15-20 for most of his career and would've been number one on many teams. The fact a handful of dmen were better does not make him anything less than a #1D.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I didn't like Subban as a #1. No spin. No narrative. My opinion. He was a great player though. I preferred Markov and Josi to Subban, but he was a solid D-Man, and IMO a victim of a terrible contract.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore

And how now that sort of thing is celebrated around the league (thinking of Swayman/Ullmark).
Cuz he was black bro. I mean let's face the facts here. Think of how many people couldn't stand the fact that a black hockey player (better than most white homies) would DARE draw attention to himself (selfish prick!). PK will forever live rent free in my head and we can only hope we ever see someone else like him don the shirt with as much love and passion as he had.

Reactions: BLONG7 and 417

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I posted about this in the former Habs Thread but I found it interesting that PeeKay wanted Cam Ward the year Price got injured to try and push for the playoffs.

He also mentioned how him, Pacioretty and Price used to get all the pressure from management but they wouldn't add any pieces to the team when they needed help.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
The Bergevin experiment was a complete and utter disaster our failure. He was a purple turd rolled in sprinkles. Cherry was right, when crushers become rushers they end up as ushers. Corporation style.

Reactions: Bombshell11

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Cuz he was black bro. I mean let's face the facts here. Think of how many people couldn't stand the fact that a black hockey player (better than most white homies) would DARE draw attention to himself (selfish prick!). PK will forever live rent free in my head and we can only hope we ever see someone else like him don the shirt with as much love and passion as he had.
Hey...I've said it before, but then I was accused of playing "the race card".

I know very well thats why it was.

So agreed 100%

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Two Words:
Michelle Therrien

MT hated PK style of play, you know, exciting and fun to watch since it involved playing a riskier game ( all top producing players tend to be at the top of the giveaway list ) and he wanted as risk free ( north-south, chip out, dump in ) play as possible. I mean the man couldnt stomach Eller because Eller was such a wild and crazy guy he sometimes tried to stick handle in the neutral zone.

And Price was The Guy.

MSL would have been perfect for PK because MSL wants players to use their heads. Its not do whatever you want but a player needs to know if he is a 4th line guy who should dump and chase and say Sydney Crosby who should have the green light to choose if he should dump it in or try to carry it up ice. And Im sure the triple low 5 would have been fine with Marty.

EDIT: Just saw the posts on race being the factor. Too bad if that was the case and it certainly could have been. I do think what I say above is correct though.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I posted about this in the former Habs Thread but I found it interesting that PeeKay wanted Cam Ward the year Price got injured to try and push for the playoffs.

He also mentioned how him, Pacioretty and Price used to get all the pressure from management but they wouldn't add any pieces to the team when they needed help.
It was clear as day that Bozovin had no clue how to build a team and to cover up his incompetence, he used Pacioretty as a scapegoat

To this day I am convinced he used his friends in the French media to plant negative stories about him and the MB cheerleaders lapped it all up.

A 40 goal scorer who was also great person effectively run out of town by an egocentric buffoon

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

What is more interesting is the stats during that playoffs push when Price was injured. Price was injured november 25th and at that time the CH was 1st in the league with 36 points. A whooping 11 points in front of the last place giving access to the playoffs.

It took a long while for the CH to fall off a playoffs spot giving the huge lead they had. January 31st the team was 20th in the league and was still only 3 points away from a playoffs spot despite the GM doing nothing and the team having the worst duo of goalies in the history of the franchise.

During that period between november 25th and january 31st the best scorer of the team was Subban with 17 points -6 followed by Patch with 14 points -15 and Galchenyuk with 13 points -15 (all in 27 games). I remember there was clearly a fued between Subban and some guys in the team for their apparent lack of effort to make the playoffs. Galchenyuk with 13 points in 27 gamers was still used almost a minute less than DD who had 7 points in 27 games.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Let's not forget, the coach was...................a giant tool. Therrien was such a jerk during both stints with the habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad