Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
May have to retain on Matheson while sending him to an intermediate team who also retains on him to be able to trade him...

But the remaining length of that contract is such a difficult hurdle.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Geno has played much better recently.

I still think Geno's shot kinda sucks now though. Which definitely hurts him on the powerplay and makes me question why he plays up top anymore.

Hating Malkin-Zucker is tied into the belief that swapping Zucker and Jake is an obvious move which it isn't.
Why isn't it? Jake-Geno-Rust was munney last year.

Sid to this point has ZERO 5 on 5 goals.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
MacKenzie just said on NHL Tonight that the Pens have been looking for a goalie and even Allvin (as was JR before him) has been trying to pry Fleury out of Vegas , but he’s apparently not available...but Mac did say the first order of business for the new guys is getting another goalie...good...as it should be

Reactions: KIRK

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
MacKenzie just said on NHL Tonight that the Pens have been looking for a goalie and even Allvin (as was JR before him) has been trying to pry Fleury out of Vegas , but he’s apparently not available...but Mac did say the first order of business for the new guys is getting another goalie...good...as it should be

Pry Maf? Jesus Christ

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Mac also said if the team didn’t do well this year, they would be meeting with Sid over the summer to see what he wants to do...stay and be part of a rebuild or not...FWIW

Fordy

May 28, 2008
meeting with sid seems perfunctory. as a maf hater when he left, i mean, who cares it’s worth a shot. i bet he goes on a run

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why isn't it? Jake-Geno-Rust was munney last year.

Sid to this point has ZERO 5 on 5 goals.

It's worth it as a shake things up kinda move, but it's no guarantee of anything.

Rust was also a much better player last year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think the structure in front of the goalie or lack thereof is a bigger issue. Sure our goaltending needs to be better, but I don't think Carey Price would do well if the defense in front of him keeps getting caught out of position all the time.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the structure in front of the goalie or lack thereof is a bigger issue. Sure our goaltending needs to be better, but I don't think Carey Price would do well if the defense in front of him keeps getting caught out of position all the time.

he would do better though than Jarry and CDS...with even average goaltending, we’d have at least two more wins, which would put us solidly in the top four in the division...that’s true even with our defense and PP being as mistake prone as they have been...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I agree with you that the eye test says our defense sucks, but the analytics say our goaltending sucks and it's cheap to pick one up via trade so whatever.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
he would do better though than Jarry and CDS...with even average goaltending, we’d have at least two more wins, which would put us solidly in the top four in the division...that’s true even with our defense and PP being as mistake prone as they have been...
Possibly but what are you giving up to getting such a guy? And we sure as hell know we're not getting a guy anywhere near the caliber of Carey Price.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Why did they not pick him up when they were pushing him out?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Possibly but what are you giving up to getting such a guy? And we sure as hell know we're not getting a guy anywhere near the caliber of Carey Price.

anyone in the bottom six besides Blueger and Tanev, draft pick (obviously not a first) and CDS going the other way...possible goalies include backups on other teams that want to gain some cap space...also waived goalies on taxi squads etc who have vet experience, RFA goalies with arbitration rights who other teams might not want to tender

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Mac also said if the team didn’t do well this year, they would be meeting with Sid over the summer to see what he wants to do...stay and be part of a rebuild or not...FWIW
That sounds about right to me.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Don't want MAF back but who would we even trade to get him? I am sure Hexy would be asking for a pick in return on most of his deals. I guess Fleury would fit our window to win but we should be done with that chapter.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
anyone in the bottom six besides Blueger and Tanev, draft pick (obviously not a first) and CDS going the other way...possible goalies include backups on other teams that want to gain some cap space...also waived goalies on taxi squads etc who have vet experience, RFA goalies with arbitration rights who other teams might not want to tender
You want to trade another draft pick? We only have a 2hd rounder until the 5th round. We need to stop moving picks. That's part of the problem. Let the team sink or swim. If they falter maybe move a piece or two prior to the deadline. Someone like Jake at the deadline nets us a 1st and maybe a high level prospect. Now, if we find our game, shore up our DZONE coverage and start converting on the PP, maybe we take a different approach. But for now lets just see how we do for the next 10-12 games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Um...Things haven't changed. I do believe they were trying back then too.

i don’t know when Fleury became unavailable...it could have been as soon as the September playoffs were over...we also don’t know how soon the Pens were looking for another goalie...my guess is they weren’t until the start of the season and Fleury was likely unavailable then...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Unfortunately Vegas is 8-1 so they probably dont want to do anything right now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Moving out Zucker would result in ZAR or McCann being our 2nd line LW option without injury.

Or are we going to try your grand Rust can play LW plan again?

Zucker has produced at a 30G pace since joining the Pens 30 games ago.

Frankly, I'd rather have Tanev on Malkin's LW than Zucker right now. And if we have the opportunity to add someone who could actually make the PP dynamics work like Palmieri, I'm showing Zucker the door - he should be one of our main trade baits to improve.

Zucker is a better net front guy for the top PP unit than Guentzel is.

If you can't fit someone as good as Zucker into your lineup, that tells me you're making bad lineup decisions more than anything. I also don't know how you can look at the 2nd line's performance and blame anyone but Malkin for how bad it has looked.

That goes without saying - it's why I want Sullivan gone.

But Zucker simply doesn't add much that this team doesn't already have, and maximizing Malkin's impact should be a much higher priority than maximizing Zucker's based on the impact of each to the team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You want to trade another draft pick? We only have a 2hd rounder until the 5th round. We need to stop moving picks. That's part of the problem. Let the team sink or swim. If they falter maybe move a piece or two prior to the deadline. Someone like Jake at the deadline nets us a 1st and maybe a high level prospect. Now, if we find our game, shore up our DZONE coverage and start converting on the PP, maybe we take a different approach. But for now lets just see how we do for the next 10-12 games.

we have picks in 2022...doesn’t have to be this year and I certainly wouldn’t spend a second on a goalie unless it’s someone with a really strong historic success...but if they want to win this year, they have to get a vet goalie and that’s what they say they want to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad