Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess my question is do Petts and Marino still produce at those rates when asked to fill in for Letang.

I also have seen the story written a million times where a young player looks good as a freshman playing an elevated role and then is complete shit the next year as video becomes regularly available of him.

I'd leave Pettersson on the second pairing with Ristolainen. Dumo-Marino to take the brunt.

Fwiw, 3 points in 160 odd minutes with Tanger, 8 in 375 minutes with Pettersson, 6 in 147 with Dumo. Whether he'd maintain that Dumo pace, who can say, but it does at least look he hasn't flatlined when pushed up yet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd leave Pettersson on the second pairing with Ristolainen. Dumo-Marino to take the brunt.

Fwiw, 3 points in 160 odd minutes with Tanger, 8 in 375 minutes with Pettersson, 6 in 147 with Dumo. Whether he'd maintain that Dumo pace, who can say, but it does at least look he hasn't flatlined when pushed up yet.

I think Parayko is a good comparison to Marino and St. Louis basically did a similar thing in moving Shattenkirk out when they found him and Parayko greatly suffered the next two years.

And we certainly saw him flat line in the playoffs.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I f***ing love the gift from god that is Marino, but if he ends up being a Parayko caliber defenseman

d91.gif

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I have no idea who the Blues have in the system for goalies but couldn't CDS for Jake Allen as the principals work for both teams. Blues get a backup who isn't all that expensive/has some NHL experience AND $3.1M in cap space. We get a NHL vet with alot of experience and only has a single year left on contract.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Parayko is a good comparison to Marino and St. Louis basically did a similar thing in moving Shattenkirk out when they found him and Parayko greatly suffered the next two years.

And we certainly saw him flat line in the playoffs.

Four games of nonsense. Couldn't care less what we saw from guys there by now - that's not how players will look in a well-motivated well-directed unit, and if we're not going to have one of them then this is all bollocks anyway.

But, that said, I wouldn't be that surprised if he did struggle with that, even if my confidence in him is sky high. Although a fall to current/2nd year Parayko offensive standards at 5v5 isn't the end of the world if Ristolainen is taking advantage of being the attacking guy.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
high risk wasn’t the reason we lost this series...we couldn’t handle the Habs checking, defensive structure and speed, most everyone and not just those two...neither of those guys were making high risk turnovers...you really should watch the games before you comment

cool thanks for the lesson. Here’s where I say what about the other playoff series? The last two years.

I’ve seen enough. In Letang there’s high risk but little to no offense for the risk.

maybe you should watch the games before overrating players

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Four games of nonsense. Couldn't care less what we saw from guys there by now - that's not how players will look in a well-motivated well-directed unit, and if we're not going to have one of them then this is all bollocks anyway.

But, that said, I wouldn't be that surprised if he did struggle with that, even if my confidence in him is sky high. Although a fall to current/2nd year Parayko offensive standards at 5v5 isn't the end of the world if Ristolainen is taking advantage of being the attacking guy.

I think you're running into a season next year where you're hoping everyone hits a peak instead of valley then.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you're running into a season next year where you're hoping everyone hits a peak instead of valley then.

Eh. This works with a little offensive regression from Marino, and it's not assuming any growth on Pettersson's part (which would ease things a lot). Can't have valley, but plateaus will do.

The only guy who has to peak is Ristolainen which of course is risky business.

But then, as I'm sure you're aware, there's pretty much no plan to move Letang and replace him that doesn't involve the incoming offensive dman having to peak. We lose the move in terms of talent (barring an insane peak/robbery) and that's that. The reason to do it stems from desire for a mental shake-up, desire not to just lose Letang for nothing but memories should we stick the course, and the half-suspicion that this team's ability to continue doing well without Letang is real and that we can move him and add to the team in other places and still be okay with a half-decent replacement.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well, that's that. I think winning the Lafreniere sweepstakes was the one shot we had to kickstart the mini-rebuild needed to chase another Cup before the era of the big 3 ended. Without Lafreniere, I think there's too much to do to realistically have another shot.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Well, that's that. I think winning the Lafreniere sweepstakes was the one shot we had to kickstart the mini-rebuild needed to chase another Cup before the era of the big 3 ended. Without Lafreniere, I think there's too much to do to realistically have another shot.

Too much to do? Really?

1) we need a top 6 RW
a) we may have one in house already
2) we could upgrade at 3C
3) we need to make a decision on our goalie
4) we need a 3rd pairing RHD
5) we’d *like* to get rid of/bury JJ

That’s the extent of the work we need to do in my opinion. Every couple years there’s a “doom and gloom” mentality around here, and it’s always super dramatic and a waste of energy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk, I feel like staying the course and only nibbling at small depth players won't make a difference in the long run :dunno:

You need to get rid of JJ, bring in a top-6 RWer, completely restructure the 3rd line, revamp the 3rd pair, address the goalie situation and address the powerplay. Murray needs to be moved, McCann and Hornqvist should be moved and Letang should be considered a trade candidate.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Idk, I feel like staying the course and only nibbling at small depth players won't make a difference in the long run :dunno:

You need to get rid of JJ, bring in a top-6 RWer, completely restructure the 3rd line, revamp the 3rd pair, address the goalie situation and address the powerplay. Murray needs to be moved, McCann and Hornqvist should be moved and Letang should be considered a trade candidate.

Fire Sullivan. Get a coach that'll play Riikola.

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - X
Riikola - Marino.

Solves that issue.

Reactions: ownal

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Too much to do? Really?

1) we need a top 6 RW
a) we may have one in house already
2) we could upgrade at 3C
3) we need to make a decision on our goalie
4) we need a 3rd pairing RHD
5) we’d *like* to get rid of/bury JJ

That’s the extent of the work we need to do in my opinion. Every couple years there’s a “doom and gloom” mentality around here, and it’s always super dramatic and a waste of energy.
We need a top-6 RW, and don't get it twisted, we don't have the option in-house. I like Poulin, but he's never even stepped foot in the AHL yet.
We need a significant 3C to establish an identity around and build a legit 3rd line. Enough of this vanilla, bland, Bjugs/McCann shit. Nobody in house even comes close to what we need there.
We're trading Murray.
We need a blueliner with offensive upside. As we all saw, Letang's the only guy really bringing anything offensively right now, and when his production dries up--the blueline's a barren wasteland. Marino's a gem, but his strength and value to the blueline is in his all-around game. We need more offensive potential. That's going to be expensive.
We absolutely need to get rid of JJ. It's not a conversation, it's not a discussion. There is no sheltering him. There is no insulating him. He absolutely cannot be on this team if we're serious about making progress toward righting the ship.

This team's been trending down, steadily, for the past 3 years. Due mainly to the GM's directionless nonsense, and a coach who has completely lost the plot when it comes to player usage--in addition to potentially having lost the attention/ear of the room.

It's not realistic to do the kind of things we need to do in order to right the ship and make another strong run at the Cup before Geno and Letang's deals are up in 2 years. Even if we scorched earth the front office and coaching staff, and the new guys are singularly focused on one last run and go to work making it happen, you're looking at a solid calendar year of moves, both additions as well as subtractions, before we're in a spot to contend again. That's assuming the moves we make work out, which, as the Bonino situation has shown, isn't always the case. We're three years and a ton of significant assets into trying to simply replace the 3C role.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We need a top-6 RW, and don't get it twisted, we don't have the option in-house. I like Poulin, but he's never even stepped foot in the AHL yet.
We need a significant 3C to establish an identity around and build a legit 3rd line. Enough of this vanilla, bland, Bjugs/McCann shit. Nobody in house even comes close to what we need there.
We're trading Murray.
We need a blueliner with offensive upside. As we all saw, Letang's the only guy really bringing anything offensively right now, and when his production dries up--the blueline's a barren wasteland. Marino's a gem, but his strength and value to the blueline is in his all-around game. We need more offensive potential. That's going to be expensive.
We absolutely need to get rid of JJ. It's not a conversation, it's not a discussion. There is no sheltering him. There is no insulating him. He absolutely cannot be on this team if we're serious about making progress toward righting the ship.

This team's been trending down, steadily, for the past 3 years. Due mainly to the GM's directionless nonsense, and a coach who has completely lost the plot when it comes to player usage--in addition to potentially having lost the attention/ear of the room.

It's not realistic to do the kind of things we need to do in order to right the ship and make another strong run at the Cup before Geno and Letang's deals are up in 2 years. Even if we scorched earth the front office and coaching staff, and the new guys are singularly focused on one last run and go to work making it happen, you're looking at a solid calendar year of moves, both additions as well as subtractions, before we're in a spot to contend again. That's assuming the moves we make work out, which, as the Bonino situation has shown, isn't always the case. We're three years and a ton of significant assets into trying to simply replace the 3C role.

Same argument was made in 15–16.

Reactions: That1Kid and Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Team needs to 3C that fits, a bit of a mix up at wing (not much), and a replacement level bottom pairing. And maybe a new coach. All possible, but not easy.

Reactions: That1Kid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad