Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The brass seem to really like both of them, so it could happen. I imagine it'd depend on who gets hurt.

They'd probably defer to WBS guys with experience if they needed a bottom 6 type (Lafferty/Angello), but if they lost a scoring winger and needed some pop they might go with one of the junior kids.
they should all be skating together so it should be a good comparison.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can anyone reflect on Angello’s potential and discuss his pros/cons? I wasn’t blown away from what I saw of him.

He didn't seem to do anything particularly well during his call up, though admittedly I didn't see him in WBS. I thought that because of his size and reported skating and physicality that he could be a wrecking ball on the 4th line, but he was a non-factor in that small sample size.

If he does end up making it, I don't expect any more than regular 4th line duty.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can anyone reflect on Angello’s potential and discuss his pros/cons? I wasn’t blown away from what I saw of him.

He will be a fourth line banger that flashes some nice skill, which will probably fool people into thinking he can be more than he is.

Reactions: Rust17

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I saw him do some nice things but I didn't seen him be sufficiently up with play to really impose himself. He can skate, he can play, he can bang, but I'm not sure how well he does the first two in terms of talking about his ceiling.

That's where guys like Rust and Zucker come in (and more controversially, McCann).

If McCann can take that step forwards and consistently be one of those guys, that'd be great.

Wrong place to talk about it but I'm guessing at some point Tanev gets a shot at being one of those guys and I'm looking forwards to seeing how he does. No particular expectations, but it'll be interesting.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If McCann can take that step forwards and consistently be one of those guys, that'd be great.

Wrong place to talk about it but I'm guessing at some point Tanev gets a shot at being one of those guys and I'm looking forwards to seeing how he does. No particular expectations, but it'll be interesting.

With ya there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think there is any chance that they'd put Poulin or Legare in a game, just like there wasn't a chance that Sprong was going to get into a game after he beat up on the QMJHL a few years ago. If either is making the NHL, it will be through forcing their way onto the team next year. I think Poulin is capable of doing that, and with Simon's screwed shoulder, Sheary's pending UFA status and a stagnant cap, I think there's a very real chance that the top line RW spot will be up for grabs next year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think there is any chance that they'd put Poulin or Legare in a game, just like there wasn't a chance that Sprong was going to get into a game after he beat up on the QMJHL a few years ago. If either is making the NHL, it will be through forcing their way onto the team next year. I think Poulin is capable of doing that, and with Simon's screwed shoulder, Sheary's pending UFA status and a stagnant cap, I think there's a very real chance that the top line RW spot will be up for grabs next year.

The whole org wasn't on board with Sprong though. JR liked what he saw, but Sullivan was hesitant to play him from Day One and kept him on a short leash at all times. Legare and Poulin are kinda Pens darlings already.

Plus let's not forget that these are the Pens we're talking about, and we'll see more than our share of health issues these playoffs...on top of what we've already experienced while nobody was even leaving their house.

Much better chance next year though, yeah. Hopefully that #1RW spot will be open.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The whole org wasn't on board with Sprong though. JR liked what he saw, but Sullivan was hesitant to play him from Day One and kept him on a short leash at all times. Legare and Poulin are kinda Pens darlings already.

Plus let's not forget that these are the Pens we're talking about, and we'll see more than our share of health issues these playoffs...on top of what we've already experienced while nobody was even leaving their house.

Much better chance next year though, yeah. Hopefully that #1RW spot will be open.

Sprong played 18 minutes the first game he was up after playing like two games when Sully first took over.

I also think Poulin and Legare have more two way play as you indicated.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong played 18 minutes the first game he was up after playing like two games when Sully first took over.

I also think Poulin and Legare have more two way play as you indicated.

18 minutes in a single game being considered a fair amount of rope is...interesting.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He will be a fourth line banger that flashes some nice skill, which will probably fool people into thinking he can be more than he is.

The question will be if Sullivan is one of those people a la Scott Wilson And ZAR the top 6 winger attempts.

I don’t think them being darlings will matter much. The Pens might have enough injuries to force their hand but otherwise they’re not throwing two teenagers with no pro experience into the playoffs.

People really need to stop trying to will the team into rushing either of them. It’s been that way since training camp.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The question will be if Sullivan is one of those people a la Scott Wilson And ZAR the top 6 winger attempts.

It's easier to name wingers who've been here since Sully has got here who haven't had top 6 looks than those who have, but most of them have come when we've been suffering injuries and when Sully's been trying to spread the wealth which means using expensive wingers to bolster the third line. As such it's hard to know just how much Sully believes in them as options...

... and they were still full time NHLers here at a point where Angello still isn't getting a regular game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I don’t think them being darlings will matter much. The Pens might have enough injuries to force their hand but otherwise they’re not throwing two teenagers with no pro experience into the playoffs.

People really need to stop trying to will the team into rushing either of them. It’s been that way since training camp.

Angello could probably hang on a top six line as a third wheel and not look out of place in a pinch.

However, just like with other guys who have come through and fooled people early on, it would become apparent he’s a bottom sixer the longer he stayed in that role.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Angello could probably hang on a top six line as a third wheel and not look out of place in a pinch.

However, just like with other guys who have come through and fooled people early on, it would become apparent he’s a bottom sixer the longer he stayed in that role.

Like Lafferty. Or do you see Lafferty as having a bit higher upside?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm not trying to rush anyone. But if we go down a couple top 6 wingers - hardly an unimaginable circumstance for this team - and are having trouble scoring, it probably makes more sense to try Poulin over Rodrigues or something. With only Guentzel out we were already compelled to put a 40 year old Marleau in the top 6.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lafferty gives me really similar vibes to Rodrigues IMO, a versatile bottom-6 player that can play any position and has stretches that suggest he has a higher upside, but he never reaches that upside and is out of the NHL by 30.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Like Lafferty. Or do you see Lafferty as having a bit higher upside?

Lafferty has more upside, but his issue has always been finishing ability. If Laff could finish he would be a legit top six guy.

Keep in mind that both guys are natural centers forced out to wing.

They deserve props for their versatility, but they are much better as pivots.

I think Laff would be a good, long term third pivot, but if he doesn’t get that chance, who knows how long he will hang around playing wing.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Lafferty gives me really similar vibes to Rodrigues IMO, a versatile bottom-6 player that can play any position and has stretches that suggest he has a higher upside, but he never reaches that upside and is out of the NHL by 30.

Can see that but I’d say Lafferty is the better athlete though imo. Bigger faster stronger.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Hockey Canada announced their development camp roster for the WJHC. Poulin was included, but Legare was not. The camp will be done virtually, not quite sure what that entails however.

buch7717

Jun 22, 2020
Hello everyone as a Lethbridge hurricanes fan can anybody tell me how former captain Jordy Bellerive did this season for Your farm club

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel like P.O. Joseph could cure a lot of problems if he plays next year.

Loved what I saw from him in training camp. He's decisive under pressure. Has a great f***ing first pass. Wish he was available to us this season and playoffs. Would feel a lot better with him on the 3rd pairing. But I guess I understand the need to get him an AHL season.

However, if he gets shut down again next training camp, that will be a mistake. Pens need him.

Reactions: Dominance and KapG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It seems like Legare doesn't get a whole lot of attention for the amount of goals he produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad