Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I know it’s old news but have to think Hallander will end up trade bait since he’s not coming over. Just can’t imagine he makes the roster.

It’s a shame- I’m a huge fan of his but tbh his personal development is probably best served in Sweden given all that happened this year. Just a waste of a season. And his own developmental window is starting to hit a point where it doesn’t quite align with the orgs.

You figure w/ SHL thru ‘20-21.. earliest is NHL in 2021 fall but at least a small AHL stint is almost a given, if not a full year in Wilkes-Barre.

So I’m not sure if he gets moved or not but does seem like there’s some writing on the wall there.

I don't get your logic and I do not agree.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know it’s old news but have to think Hallander will end up trade bait since he’s not coming over. Just can’t imagine he makes the roster.

It’s a shame- I’m a huge fan of his but tbh his personal development is probably best served in Sweden given all that happened this year. Just a waste of a season. And his own developmental window is starting to hit a point where it doesn’t quite align with the orgs.

You figure w/ SHL thru ‘20-21.. earliest is NHL in 2021 fall but at least a small AHL stint is almost a given, if not a full year in Wilkes-Barre.

So I’m not sure if he gets moved or not but does seem like there’s some writing on the wall there.

While agreeing with a fair amount, I think you're overlooking that Rutherford seems pretty loath to trade away good prospects unless he's run out of options. I think he's only traded three so far - Kapanen, Gustavsson, Addison - and those were for big fish. A tight cap and impending expansion draft doesn't make this ideal big fishing weather.

Also, the three guys I named, the latter two were traded at about peak prospect value (can't remember with Kapanen) which is emphatically not Hallander thanks to that broken leg. So Rutherford can't really go after the big fish with him and doesn't seem interested in using prospects for what he can get with current players, free agency, and late picks. Rightly so imo.

From that perspective, as a safe-ish prospect with a high-ish ceiling who has low-ish value, he's probably the safest prospect in the org, maybe along with POJ.

The real guys at risk are Poulin and Legare because, if Rutherford wants a big fish, one of those will have to go barring some explosions. I know the org publicly loves them, but they were pretty high on Addison too publicly. Besides - their developmental windows aren't really any different to Hallander at this point anyway.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Well, there’s the fact that this is the shitty Hockey News, but they’re redrafting the 2019 draft based on how the prospects are doing today vs their peers and Poulin fell from being drafted 21 to being drafted 24...so I guess he didn’t have that good of a season relatively speaking....

Redoing the 2019 NHL draft: How would it unfold today? - TheHockeyNews
The Caps certainly get a steal with McMichael. The question is when are they going to trade him for Martin Erat?

The guys a lot of us here wanted at the draft (Kaliyev, Hoglander, Brink etc.) all have great years.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Also any news regarding Puustinen?

"Puustinen's development curve points upward. He made his league debut in the 2018-19 season and accounted for 13 points in 47 games. The score balance tripled during the second season as 53 games resulted in 39 points.

The worthy 20-year-old is already maintaining a high standard and is aroused in Pittsburgh."

Dessa finländare kan få ett NHL-kontrakt i sommar – Lehtonen, Lammikko och Puljujärvi de tyngsta namnen

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Penguins top prospect list from Yohe. The Athletic got rid of the ability to read articles for free on their app, so I can't give a rundown of the list.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin
Legare
POJ
O'Connor
Hallander
Bjorkqvist
Bellerive
Puustinen
Drozg
Miletec

Somebody please email this list to every NCAA UFA dman of note.

That's fairly similar to what I would have made my list. I'm a little surprised Legare is above POJ and O'Connor looks interesting if he's on par with Hallander. Bellerive is also an interesting name to keep an eye on, not because he has this massive upside but because I think he may be in a similar position as Lafferty. Was this just Yohe's opinion or did he get insight from the team as well?

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's fairly similar to what I would have made my list. I'm a little surprised Legare is above POJ and O'Connor looks interesting if he's on par with Hallander. Bellerive is also an interesting name to keep an eye on, not because he has this massive upside but because I think he may be in a similar position as Lafferty. Was this just Yohe's opinion or did he get insight from the team as well?

He says from talks with Rutherford and other personnel, and what he's seen at development camps. Maybe a bit of video. Particularly clear Bjorkqvist is where he is because the org loves him. Ditto, to an extent, Legare (who did also look really near to NHL ready last dev camp).

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Anyone know where I can find "advanced" college hockey stats? I found the website while reading a Jack Dugan article but can't seem to find it again. Drew O'Connor was high on one of the stats the site had and I was going to look at UFA College Defense. From what I recall, Maniscalco was right in the middle of the fancy stats.

Edit: found it Blog

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Reading it back, gotta say, real excited to see what O'Connor ends up as. He ticks so many boxes.

Yohe states that he has never seen O’Connor play. He also foresees POJ replacing JJ eventually.

I think his comments were more the organization hopes POJ replaces JJ eventually.

Yeah, that's my reading. And given POJ is expected to make his debut next season, I think it looks like this is JJ's last season. Probably also spells the end of Riikola too.

Lotta big boys on that list.

Yeah. Puustinen's the only guy who's really small on it; Bellerive is short but strong, POJ and Drozg lanky but with height and reach... part of it is the smaller prospects not playing out or getting traded, but it's definitely a chonky lot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Reading it back, gotta say, real excited to see what O'Connor ends up as. He ticks so many boxes.

Yeah. Size, hockey IQ, goal scoring, skating...the scouting report sounds pretty damn good.

Between O'Connor, Poulin, Hallander, and Legare, we've got a good shot at a couple developing into solid complementary wingers.

Yeah, that's my reading. And given POJ is expected to make his debut next season, I think it looks like this is JJ's last season. Probably also spells the end of Riikola too.

Let's hope.

Reactions: Peat

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Reactions: WayneSid9987

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't get your logic and I do not agree.

basically my logic is that his staying in Sweden will delay his expected NHL arrival time by a year and therefore make Rutherford more open to moving him in a trade.

Obviously things don’t always work so linearly, but I believed a reason they took him was at the time he seemed on a path to be in NA pro by at least 20-21, if not earlier.

But I also think @Peat made good counterarguments.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Exclusive: Coach Raves About Joseph, ‘Could Play (in the NHL) Next Year’

Snippet from an interview with Vellucci about PO Joseph. Looks like he's on the right path.

Kingerski says he's a speed demon and projects to be a better offensive LD than Dumoulin and Pettersson...both of which seem a tad optimistic. Scouting reports say he's a good skater but is he that exceptional?

I do know he has good mechanics(his stride). Get him stronger and it can help him alot. I dunno about speed demon tho...
He does have offensive instincts. Can get his shot on goal, joins the rush.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I do know he has good mechanics(his stride). Get him stronger and it can help him alot. I dunno about speed demon tho...
He does have offensive instincts. Can get his shot on goal, joins the rush.

Everything I've heard makes me think he's in the Dumoulin/Pettersson mold, in the sense that he's a tall, mobile-for-his-size defensive defenseman who can put up 20-30 points a year if things break right.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Everything I've heard makes me think he's in the Dumoulin/Pettersson mold, in the sense that he's a tall, mobile-for-his-size defensive defenseman who can put up 20-30 points a year if things break right.

Thats the hope. This team just really needs another Dumo to breakthrough here. 2 potentials atm in MP and PO-J.
Hopefully both break through.
I like PO alot and think he'll be a good NHL'er, be it top 4 or bottom 4.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Thats the hope. This team just really needs another Dumo to breakthrough here. 2 potentials atm in MP and PO-J.
Hopefully both break through.
I like PO alot and think he'll be a good NHL'er, be it top 4 or bottom 4.

I didn't really watch the AHL this season. Did you see him a lot?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I never understood why we've never heard more hype with POJ. If he was a Penguins 1st rounder in 2017, people would be penciling him into the top-4 as a Pettersson replacement in the near future and treating him like another Maatta/Morrow prospect. Instead, it seems like he was overshadowed in the Kessel deal and never got the hype he should have.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If POJ is a great top 4 for us, that would be a great return for a declined Kessel.

POJ, Zucker

for

Kessel, 1st, Addison, 4th, Birks, Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad