Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's probably better off going back to Russia. It's gonna be a 3-goalie rotation as it is in WB/S.

CHL is an option but he'd be taking up both an import slot and an overager slot and I doubt anyone would go for that.

But being here in the summer is cool, shows a willingness to come over and also suggests Yaroslavl isn't keeping him chained up anywhere.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's probably better off going back to Russia. It's gonna be a 3-goalie rotation as it is in WB/S.

CHL is an option but he'd be taking up both an import slot and an overager slot and I doubt anyone would go for that.

But being here in the summer is cool, shows a willingness to come over and also suggests Yaroslavl isn't keeping him chained up anywhere.

They must be all out of radiators.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
When you only play your draft picks outside of Puustinen 9 NHL games since 2017, that's probably part of the issue.
To be fair, of the picks they made since 2017, most of the ones who deserved to get NHL games ended up getting traded before they would have gotten a chance to do so with the Pens, and ended up getting those games elsewhere (see: Gustavsson and Addisson).

If you think about general timeframes for prospects who aren't top ten picks, though, it's not unreasonable that we haven't seen many players from 2017 onwards.

Picks from Juniors (outside the very top ones) generally spend 2 years in Juniors after being picked, then another 1-2 years in the AHL. College-bound picks generally spend 2-4 years in college, then 1-2 years in the AHL. This is assuming they make it at all, of course.
So you're looking at 3-4 years minimum since getting picked before they make it. Basically, anyone picked from 2021 onward shouldn't have been expected to play any NHL games yet.

That leaves 2017 through 2020.
2017 was an absolute disaster of the draft. Their first two picks were reaches, the first of whom ultimately had to retire from hockey early due to concussions, so neither were ever signed. Drozg and Olund were at least intriguing, but neither of them could manage to cut it in the AHL. Nobody from that year deserved NHL games.

2018 only had four picks. The first two have gotten NHL games. Just not with the Pens, as they were both traded before getting that opportunity. The other two didn't make it, but given that we're talking about 5th and 6th round picks, that's not a big surprise.

2019 is the biggest one where we can start saying that prospects should have gotten more NHL games by now. There are some extenuating circumstances with Poulin, but it could be argued that Puustinen should have gotten more games than he has. Legare never showed enough at the AHL level, and couldn't even get NHL games from a terrible Canadiens club. The other two were never signed.

2020 is the last one to consider. Last season was Blomqvist's first in the AHL, so it's hard to get worked up about him not getting into any NHL games just yet. Hopefully he's the number three goaltender this coming season. Clang was traded. Yoder hasn't signed (and may never). Neither Svejkovsky nor Ansons have shown they should get NHL games.

We can add in undrafted free agents from the same time period, though they should generally be closer to being ready, since they've already finished their junior or college careers.

2017 gave us DeSmith and Aston-Reese. 2018 gave us Riikola. 2020 gave us O'Connor and Zohorna.

The drafting and/or development hasn't been good, frankly. At least in the relevant timeframe. There really haven't been that many players that deserved a chance that didn't get one.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The issue with Chandler Stephenson’s contract is the term. The money will be fine for the first half of the contract, but the second half is high risk for a player of his caliber.
Same age and years as Guentzel. Thing about Chandler is he's a fantastic 2way player that when his scoring tapers off he'll be good in that regard. A risk in say a Jake is he is absolutely awful defensively and if his scoring drops, that's an ugly deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Same age and years as Guentzel. Thing about Chandler is he's a fantastic 2way player that when his scoring tapers off he'll be good in that regard. A risk in say a Jake is he is absolutely awful defensively and if his scoring drops, that's an ugly deal.

Stephenson's game completely eroded last year.

He became a fantastic 2way player when he joined Mark Stone.

It's seeming that his ascent was a lot to do with Mark Stone.

Maybe he had an injury we didn't know about. He was someone I thought we could target as a cheap Jake replacement. But, not sure he's going to age well. Jake will

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Stephenson's game completely eroded last year.

He became a fantastic 2way player when he joined Mark Stone.

It's seeming that his ascent was a lot to do with Mark Stone.

Maybe he had an injury we didn't know about. He was someone I thought we could target as a cheap Jake replacement. But, not sure he's going to age well. Jake will
Must be weird to erode at 51pts in 75 games on a team that had a lot of issues but he wasn't one of them. His both 60+ seasons were with Stone missing a ton of time. He's been one of those players in Vegas that when he's missed time, they've suffered. Weird take by blokes about his game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Must be weird to erode at 51pts in 75 games on a team that had a lot of issues but he wasn't one of them. His both 60+ seasons were with Stone missing a ton of time. He's been one of those players in Vegas that when he's missed time, they've suffered. Weird take by blokes about his game.

His underlying metrics from Corey's AllThreeZones paint the reason why.

He was one of the best 5v5 players in the league a few years ago. He's slowly declined over the last few year.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Unlike Murashov, whose contract expired in 2023-24, I believe Ilyin's contract ends after 2024-25. So, I suspect if he has a strong season in the KHL, he might be an option late next season...assuming we stink and will be selling off assets for picks/prospects.

Assuming Ilyin has another great season I wonder if he gets scooped up by one of the big beasts of the KHL. Ideally would be great to get him signed to his ELC and get him to WBS for his 25-26 season.

Reactions: Andy99

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

His underlying metrics from Corey's AllThreeZones paint the reason why.

He was one of the best 5v5 players in the league a few years ago. He's slowly declined over the last few year.
Seems like I’ve been out of touch on Stephenson. His performance really took a dive last year, looking at his WOWY and replacement level stats.

1720263679670.png

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guentzel's as smart and consistent as wingers come. I'd throw my lot in with him over a guy the same age who cracked 60 points twice any time.

Reactions: Gurglesons

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I really wanted Stephenson but the AAV was simply a joke. Dubas still has some work to do but for the most part, the roster is set. Now the shift to the adding young assets for the eventual transition to the next gen Pens is now picking up steam.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nice to see him out there…I don’t get The purpose of this drill…shows nothing about the goalie or the shooter lol

Reactions: Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad