Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think some of the invites are just seeing them here like the Canes trades and prospects like Broz who has a need for a far closer look see. Yager and Pickering will be in both camps. Also the recent picks especially all the RD picks will be seen in camp for the first time. Lots of things going on here and I am fine with the transition to increase the prospect pool. Dubas focus here is Sid and then seeing how the FA signings and the carryover from last year ala St Ivany continue to develop. But I do credit Dubas for really adding to the prospect pool with trades and picks.

Reactions: The Old Master

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Why can't you people read? :laugh:
1720041117819.png

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Certainly no superstar in the making, but a little different element in our system if he latches on.

I got to the part where they were talking about (moreso implied) how his first video game console was the Xbox. And then I felt quite old and stopped reading.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think some of the invites are just seeing them here like the Canes trades and prospects like Broz who has a need for a far closer look see. Yager and Pickering will be in both camps. Also the recent picks especially all the RD picks will be seen in camp for the first time. Lots of things going on here and I am fine with the transition to increase the prospect pool. Dubas focus here is Sid and then seeing how the FA signings and the carryover from last year ala St Ivany continue to develop. But I do credit Dubas for really adding to the prospect pool with trades and picks.

I will give him half a credit for adding to our prospect pool...while at the same time killing all hope for any of the more advanced prospects to make the team this season.

And if not this season, then next season will be more of the same–if Sullivan.

There HAS to be an easier way to "get younger".

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I will give him half a credit for adding to our prospect pool...while at the same time killing all hope for any of the more advanced prospects to make the team this season.

And if not this season, then next season will be more of the same–if Sullivan.

There HAS to be an easier way to "get younger".
I am not a Sullivan-defender but I really don't think the idea that he doesn't play young players is honest. Even still.

Who's the last good young player to leave the Pens and blossom? Puustinen and POJ played major minutes at times last season and Puustinen is barely useful and POJ sucks out loud 50% of his shifts. I think in the last 6 years the Pens have had an absolute dearth of quality young players, and the ones they got (like Marino) they played right away. DOC plays regularly, Aston-Reese played TOO much as is well know.

Last edited:
Reactions: pengineer

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Our prospect pool is marginally better but we haven’t exactly accumulated a bunch of blue-chippers. Or any, besides maybe Yager.

Ponomarev and Koivunen are basically like 2nd round equivalent prospects. They’ve developed as expected for 2nd round picks but aren’t locks to be NHL players- and even if they do make it they don’t figure to be high impact players.

Same for our 2 2nds in this draft.

We basically have a bunch of scratch-off tickets in the system.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Our prospect pool is marginally better but we haven’t exactly accumulated a bunch of blue-chippers. Or any, besides maybe Yager.

Ponomarev and Koivunen are basically like 2nd round equivalent prospects. They’ve developed as expected for 2nd round picks but aren’t locks to be NHL players- and even if they do make it they don’t figure to be high impact players.

Same for our 2 2nds in this draft.

We basically have a bunch of scratch-off tickets in the system.
Which is what you would expect with a team that has picked in the 1st round three times since 2014, the highest pick being Yager at 14.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Just because you don't pick in the top five does not mean you cannot develop a top-five equivalent talent.

To say the players we have let go have not done anything elsewhere is proving my point that we do not develop young players well. Excluding goaltenders, a player is what he is when he is 26. We seem allergic to trying to develop players at the NHL level before that age. Which is crazy, because historically our championships have been won with youth, and of course the right veterans mixed in.

We had an opportunity this off-season to REALLY give some young forwards some hope that they were coming to camp with a legit shot at making the team. It was thought that Eller could be traded, and that Acciari might either be packaged in a deal or move to the wing, freeing up the center positions to see what our top prospects can do.

So what did we do? Knowing full well that our coach is named Mike Sullivan, and that he LOVES low-talent worker bees, we sign Lizotte (who will probably play WAY too much for his talent level), Beauvillier (an absolutely nothing player for years) and trade for a guy who is not even a Sullivan type (save for his birth certificate) in Hayes.

So now, yeah we might trade Eller as we had hoped. But that is because Hayes and Lizotte have to play instead of Ponomarev, Poulin and especially Yager.

Sorry, but this is not how you develop your prospects. If all you want is a bag full of prospects to use as assets, then fantastic. That is what we seem to be doing.

But good teams need ELCs to win. If not, you are hoping that veteran players will come cheaply to your team. Is Pittsburgh an attractive destination for veterans right now?

July 1 and since tells us no.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Just because you don't pick in the top five does not mean you cannot develop a top-five equivalent talent.

To say the players we have let go have not done anything elsewhere is proving my point that we do not develop young players well. Excluding goaltenders, a player is what he is when he is 26. We seem allergic to trying to develop players at the NHL level before that age. Which is crazy, because historically our championships have been won with youth, and of course the right veterans mixed in.

We had an opportunity this off-season to REALLY give some young forwards some hope that they were coming to camp with a legit shot at making the team. It was thought that Eller could be traded, and that Acciari might either be packaged in a deal or move to the wing, freeing up the center positions to see what our top prospects can do.

So what did we do? Knowing full well that our coach is named Mike Sullivan, and that he LOVES low-talent worker bees, we sign Lizotte (who will probably play WAY too much for his talent level), Beauvillier (an absolutely nothing player for years) and trade for a guy who is not even a Sullivan type (save for his birth certificate) in Hayes.

So now, yeah we might trade Eller as we had hoped. But that is because Hayes and Lizotte have to play instead of Ponomarev, Poulin and especially Yager.

Sorry, but this is not how you develop your prospects. If all you want is a bag full of prospects to use as assets, then fantastic. That is what we seem to be doing.

But good teams need ELCs to win. If not, you are hoping that veteran players will come cheaply to your team. Is Pittsburgh an attractive destination for veterans right now?

July 1 and since tells us no.
All it seems they're doing is doubling down on last off-season's moves but trying to add a bit more scoring in the bottom 6. And adding a few scratch off picks along the way.
They're just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.
Dubas got rid of Smith but tried to add Tarasenko.
Hayes and Beauvillier have normally had higher point per game production than last season's bottom 6 acquisitions. But even that production dried up when their minutes were reduced.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
237 in 327 games for Vegas. Had back to back 60+ and 51pts last season and he's 30. Seems market value just because you don't like him doesn't mean he was over paid or bad. He's been a solid player once he got a chance to play and built up his confidence in his game.

It's what happens for players that need a new change of scenery. For him it was the expansion draft. Sullivan does the opposite for players.

To add - Chandler is also incredible defensively and did a lot of the hard work while producing for the Golden turds. They'll definitely feel the hurt losing him.
The issue with Chandler Stephenson’s contract is the term. The money will be fine for the first half of the contract, but the second half is high risk for a player of his caliber.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad