Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Dumping McCann for Carter was one of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen made. This board owes me an apology SENATOR!
not even close. all the years of not moving on from sully are far above that' then giving him an extension. then trading for rod schutt, thinking they were getting steve schutt would be next.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
not even close. all the years of not moving on from sully are far above that' then giving him an extension. then trading for rod schutt, thinking they were getting steve schutt would be next.

To quote Carl from The Simpsons, "that never, uh, happened".

it's just some idiocy that Penguin-hater Greg Millen, who claimed to have "been there" with GM Baz Bastien at the exact moment the trade was made, has been spreading over the years. Schutt was traded to the Capitals shortly before the deal with the Penguins, but that deal (for Pierre Bouchard) was nullified by the commissioner. So Schutt went to Pittsburgh.

The article regarding that trade which appears in the 10/19/1978 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says "The Pens defend the deal by pointing out that Schutt was a first-round choice with Montreal, the 13th player taken overall in the 1976 amateur draft."

That still doesn't make it a great trade, which Pens fans at the time (like myself) were not thrilled about, since it involved parting with yet another #1 pick to get some guy that nobody had ever heard of.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Look, Pens did what they thought was the right thing to do to be all in with 2 generational players. No one can fault them for that. Now executing that was suspect but winning 3 cups 4 cup finals is still pretty good. Now I do agree they became somewhat dysfunctional later under GMJR, Hextall and Sullivan. I do think all are best served with a clean slate and trade Sullivan to say Seattle if the Carolina coach stays in Carolina. Dubas plan to rebuild the system while still being a contender is not the best way to go. But it can be done if Dubas is smart about who he adds and who they draft.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
The Yager/McCann comp is really lazy imo. Yager is already a much better playmaker than McCann. Also, has higher hockey iq on top of more game breaking ability. It’s okay to be excited about a prospect instead of setting horribly low expectations all the time.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The year before Yager shifted to try and show he could be more well rounded he was projected to be a top-5 pick. So there's definitely talent there. I don't know if this organization's the one to be able to get the most out of him and help him reach his absolute ceiling, and I don't think he's a guy you build around, but he's the best prospect this team's had (on paper, minus Jake's meteoric rise out of nowhere) since Staal imo.

I'm excited about him, but I don't really care how long it takes for him to make his mark in the NHL if he ever does. Doesn't matter as long as he's developed properly.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
To quote Carl from The Simpsons, "that never, uh, happened".

it's just some idiocy that Penguin-hater Greg Millen, who claimed to have "been there" with GM Baz Bastien at the exact moment the trade was made, has been spreading over the years. Schutt was traded to the Capitals shortly before the deal with the Penguins, but that deal (for Pierre Bouchard) was nullified by the commissioner. So Schutt went to Pittsburgh.
if it wasn't done by mistake, it's even worse. :laugh:

Reactions: Victor Z

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Yager/McCann comp is really lazy imo. Yager is already a much better playmaker than McCann. Also, has higher hockey iq on top of more game breaking ability. It’s okay to be excited about a prospect instead of setting horribly low expectations all the time.
A player who's scored 40 goals and 70 points is a horribly low expectation?

Look out McDavid!

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
A player who's scored 40 goals and 70 points is a horribly low expectation?

Look out McDavid!
The point is they don’t play similar games at all. Yager is already more advanced in a few areas compared to McCann. The comp that makes the most sense is Mackinnon lite just by play style. Not saying he’s going to be nearly as good as Mack but he has potential to be FAR superior than the McCann.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The point is they don’t play similar games at all. Yager is already more advanced in a few areas compared to McCann. The comp that makes the most sense is Mackinnon lite just by play style. Not saying he’s going to be nearly as good as Mack but he has potential to be FAR superior than the McCann.
as far as yager is concerned he wants to be the next Ron Frances. he wants to 1. play on the pp, 2, play on the pk, 3. have the coach put him out to take the faceoff in our zone with less than 60 sec, to go with a one goal lead. ect.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Noticing Yager takes a ton of faceoffs. More than anyone else on either team in the Saskatoon series. Tends to win more than he loses.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I feel like much like Sprong, people are going to be really disappointed once Yager translates to the NHL. I think he has some upside, but people in here are acting like he is a foundational player. I think if he hits his pure upside he’ll be a top six forward maybe similar to Toffoli or McCann.
He’s nothing like Toffoli

Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
He’s nothing like Toffoli
Exactly. People just compare him to random players that have good shots and dismiss everything else that he brings as a player. Like i said, Mack lite is the play style, and he won’t reach that level but his potential is much higher than us Pens fans give him credit for. We haven’t had a prospect of his level in the system since Staal, and I wish more Pens fans would be more optimistic rather than thinking everyone of our prospects are middle six energy players.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Exactly. People just compare him to random players that have good shots and dismiss everything else that he brings as a player. Like i said, Mack lite is the play style, and he won’t reach that level but his potential is much higher than us Pens fans give him credit for. We haven’t had a prospect of his level in the system since Staal, and I wish more Pens fans would be more optimistic rather than thinking everyone of our prospects are middle six energy players.
He’s closer in style annd production to another Brayden who played for Moose Jaw than McCann or especially Toffoli. And no I’m not saying he’s going to be Point but if we’re making comparisons- that’s closer.

Reactions: Kasperi kapanen

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
He’s closer in style annd production to another Brayden who played for Moose Jaw than McCann or especially Toffoli. And no I’m not saying he’s going to be Point but if we’re making comparisons- that’s closer.
If he can work on his explosiveness regarding his skating, then I could absolutely see it. Better shot but less creativity. I really think we hit on this pick.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Yager can get stronger with the greatest personal trainer of all time aka Sid

Get him to spend the summer with Sid, give him the 9 game look or whatever it is and then evaluate. Hard to each the NHL level or any career level without ideal mentorship and chances. He's got a great opportunity, let him have access to it

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yager can get stronger with the greatest personal trainer of all time aka Sid

Get him to spend the summer with Sid, give him the 9 game look or whatever it is and then evaluate. Hard to each the NHL level or any career level without ideal mentorship and chances. He's got a great opportunity, let him have access to it
I’m sure Sid can help him a lot but if he wanted to get stronger a strength and conditioning coach would probably be best. Would have been good for him to go into a NCAA program but I’m sure if he wants to he can find the right resource and get bigger. Could probably put on 6-8 lbs of muscle over the summer.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think he is better than what was projected. One thing I look at is his ability to put the puck where he intended it to go. Quick release and hard heavy shot mean zip if you have no real control on where it is going. Watch him and he knows where to put the puck on his shot. With added strength and size, he can be a good number 2 center in time. One player not mentioned much is the LW from Russia who had the neck injury. He had a nice bounce back year. He has good size and I think can be a top 6 LW in a couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad