Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yager kinda reminds me of Rust. Don’t mean it in a bad way.
I don't think Yager is NHL ready and not even from a size / strength standpoint. Good prospect, just not there yet.
I like him back in the CHL over the AHL for this reason. Pretty much his entire top end supporting cast will move on and he’ll have to be the “man”.

Reactions: Jacob

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I feel like much like Sprong, people are going to be really disappointed once Yager translates to the NHL. I think he has some upside, but people in here are acting like he is a foundational player. I think if he hits his pure upside he’ll be a top six forward maybe similar to Toffoli or McCann.
I think your hope is he’s an adequate ES 2C that may not elevate linemates but can play with stars and is a weapon on PP1 and can PK.

Similar to a Trocheck maybe- obviously not similar style but usage/career.

Think there’s a good chance he’s a RW or 3C though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I feel like much like Sprong, people are going to be really disappointed once Yager translates to the NHL. I think he has some upside, but people in here are acting like he is a foundational player. I think if he hits his pure upside he’ll be a top six forward maybe similar to Toffoli or McCann.
That's fine though. How great would Jared McCann be to have on this roster right now?

If you BFF Hexf*** didn't trade him for a 7th in one of the biggest ED blunders of 2021, we wouldn't be yearning for Yager to be the impact player we really need at the moment.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
If the pens move up in the draft lottery and keep their pick, whoever they pick is going to suck lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If the pens move up in the draft lottery and keep their pick, whoever they pick is going to suck lol
It's 4OV or bust.

Cayden Lindstrom
Tij Iginla
Berkley Catton

all have the potential to be really, really good forwards in the NHL.

We'd probably end up taking the next Puljujarvi or Pouliot though :laugh:

Tell ya what though, we should be opening up the checkbook to whoever the Dallas Stars scouts are that keep finding these 2nd round gems.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It's 4OV or bust.

Cayden Lindstrom
Tij Iginla
Berkley Catton

all have the potential to be really, really good forwards in the NHL.

We'd probably end up taking the next Puljujarvi or Pouliot though :laugh:

Tell ya what though, we should be opening up the checkbook to whoever the Dallas Stars scouts are that keep finding these 2nd round gems.
if we do get the 4 oa i hope we move up.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
if we do get the 4 oa i hope we move up.
I don't think there's anyone at 2/3 worth moving up for though. I think after Celebrini, there's easily 3 guys that could do #2. Demidov, Lindstrom, Levshunov...
Just wanted to make sure I posted something on page 69 of this thread.

200w.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I like him back in the CHL over the AHL for this reason. Pretty much his entire top end supporting cast will move on and he’ll have to be the “man”.
I kinda don't like that. Moose Jaw looks like they're gonna be terrible, and he'll probably end up being traded at the deadline, which is around the new year.

Yeah I figure if he does go back he will be dealt at the deadline, which is around the halfway mark for the CHL. MJ is losing a lot of talent.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Handful of years on a cost effective contract I’m fine with those comparisons.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yager reminds me of McCann, to use a very narrow scope of Penguins players. He's definitely not a foundational piece but if you use him correctly, could be a valuable supporting cast piece.

Doubt he's gonna be ready to go NHL-wise for a while. We'd all like to see him come in and wow this camp/pre-season, and I guess there's a chance, but as long as he is developed properly I don't really mind how long it takes. /shrug

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
McCann’s more of a low-IQ grip it and rip it guy, Yager reminds me more of Reinhart, but the one from 5 years ago, not the current one.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Emphatically agree here.

The most impactful Pittsburgh Penguins draft picks - who they've held on to - since 2013 when they selected Tristan Jarry and Jake Guentzel have been Dominik Simon and Valtteri Puustinen. And Simon's out of the league.

Their draft picks they've traded away aren't a ton of studs, either. Only Kasperi Kapanen, Daniel Sprong, Sam Lafferty, and Filip Gustavsson have done anything mentionable.

Let's give the 2023 and 2022 draft classes a break since they're still young. So starting with pick 4 in 2013, their next pick after Guentzel, and extending through the end of the 2021 draft, only six of their draft picks have had an impact at the NHL level and none of them above a third/fourth liner or backup goalie level.

Looking at Dallas, in the same span (mid-2013 draft through 2021), they've selected Nick Paul, Denis Gurianov, Roope Hintz, Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger, Jason Robertson, Ty Dellandrea, Thomas Harley, Wyatt Johnston, and Logan Stankoven. They've held on to all but Paul and Gurianov.

There's not even a real comparison to be made between the two franchises.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Emphatically agree here.

The most impactful Pittsburgh Penguins draft picks - who they've held on to - since 2013 when they selected Tristan Jarry and Jake Guentzel have been Dominik Simon and Valtteri Puustinen. And Simon's out of the league.

Their draft picks they've traded away aren't a ton of studs, either. Only Kasperi Kapanen, Daniel Sprong, Sam Lafferty, and Filip Gustavsson have done anything mentionable.

Let's give the 2023 and 2022 draft classes a break since they're still young. So starting with pick 4 in 2013, their next pick after Guentzel, and extending through the end of the 2021 draft, only six of their draft picks have had an impact at the NHL level and none of them above a third/fourth liner or backup goalie level.

Looking at Dallas, in the same span (mid-2013 draft through 2021), they've selected Nick Paul, Denis Gurianov, Roope Hintz, Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger, Jason Robertson, Ty Dellandrea, Thomas Harley, Wyatt Johnston, and Logan Stankoven. They've held on to all but Paul and Gurianov.

That’s what happens when you are a team who misses the playoffs five times in that time period.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Coping my post from the Yager prospect thread, I feel like McCann has been the common comparison thrown towards Yager that I've seen. I think Yager may have a better chance at sticking at C than McCann, but I'm unsure that Yager has the 40 goal upside that McCann has shown.

I'd guess he would fall in "good top-6 winger or good 2C" upside territory. Maybe not a pure top line guy but a 30-30 top-6 guy seems reasonable. He's also a bit safer of a guy because I could see him carving out a career as a 2-way 3rd liner type as well.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Penguins 2022 fifth-round pick Zam Plante scored his third goal of the USHL playoffs in the Fargo Force's 5-2 loss to Sioux City on Thursday in Game 3 of the Western Conference Final.

Plante has three goals and one assist through six playoff games and has been skating on the fourth-line wing as of late. He had 26 goals and 45 assists in 57 regular-season games.

Fargo is down 2-1 in the best-of-five series, putting them on the brink of elimination. This will be Plante's last USHL season before moving to the University of Minnesota Duluth next season.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Emphatically agree here.

It’s a numbers game. They’ve had 75 picks in the time period including a ton of 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounders.

The pens have 57 with few picks in the first 3 rounds. You can’t draft good players if you don’t have draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad