Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Guy is gonna do well at Dunder Mifflin.

In all seriousness tho, its not a suprise he needs AHL time to adjust to pro hockey. Thats not a bad thing and is quite common with 1st round prospects, Yager will also udoubtedly need AHL time for development time for pro hockey, and is a good, quality return in the trade. Both forwards have terrific ceilings. At the end of the day, he didnt want to be here in Winnipeg, be it NHL or AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Truthfully, I don't blame a 20 year for old not wanting to spend most of their 20s in Winnipeg. It's freezing cold, it's a very small city, with no real downtown, the roads are riddled with potholes and there isn't alot to do. Might not be a good idea for Winnipeg to draft college players.
It's really a matter of lifestyle and life stage. If young players are looking for a vibrant nightlife then a few cities stand out from Winnipeg and a lot of others. Winnipeg is cold, but realistically they spend half of a winter (maybe 3 months) and are playing every other night. Lots of players with young families like Winnipeg because it's an easy and warm community to navigate with good schools, and plentiful job and other options for partners when players are on the road.

I think there is a real "American" angle, though. Some Americans and their families really don't take to Canada. It's more different from the US than many think, especially considering the political divisions. Also, families and partners need to cross a border to visit and watch games, and not all players' families are keen on that.

From the Jets' perspective I think that being a less attractive market for players that want bright lights and nightlife can actually be a bonus in terms of developing a team culture. Players like Kane and Dubois had different priorities, and I'm not sure they would strengthen a team culture anywhere.

I doubt that's an issue with McGroarty. My guess is that he just realized that he wanted to play in the US rather than a Canadian prairie city. That's okay, but if so it would have been better if he had been more upfront about that during pre-draft interviews, etc. The problem is that before the draft all of the prospects pretend that they are all about the team and sacrifice etc., even if they have strong feelings about the type of city and life they prefer.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Needs work on his skating big time, heavy feet, short strides, doesn't pick his feet up.

He never took power skating growing up. Common thing to see, can be fixed in a couple years, but ya.

Reactions: hn777

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Truthfully, I don't blame a 20 year for old not wanting to spend most of their 20s in Winnipeg. It's freezing cold, it's a very small city, with no real downtown, the roads are riddled with potholes and there isn't alot to do. Might not be a good idea for Winnipeg to draft college players.
He’s gonna love Scranton!

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
Yeah, a lot of people in their early 20s really assess a city’s pothole situation when determining where to live…🤡

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I'd get the shit slinging from Jets fans if they ended up getting trash for McGroarty, but Yager himself is a great prospect too. It's about as even of a swap of prospects as you can get and it was Winnipeg negotiating from a position of disadvantage. It was a great job by them.

Nobody negotiating with Kyle Dubas is at a disadvantage.

Reactions: Boreal and luiginb

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah, a lot of people in their early 20s really assess a city’s pothole situation when determining where to live…🤡
The city looks kinda rundown I think is the point. The heavy lifting is it's the smallest and most isolated city in the NHL and has I would say the single worst weather in the NHL. Nice summers but more than half the guys aren't gonna be there anyways

Reactions: CDJ

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
The city looks kinda rundown I think is the point. The heavy lifting is it's the smallest and most isolated city in the NHL and has I would say the single worst weather in the NHL. Nice summers but more than half the guys aren't gonna be there anyways
What does size of the city or relative isolation have to do with anything? You think guys are going on road trips during their off days? And yeah there are definitely cities with better nightlife than Wpg but I think most organizations would prefer this wasn’t a selling point to their young prospects.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Doesn't want to be in Winnipeg because of potholes....... don't forget there are no parks either.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
What does size of the city or relative isolation have to do with anything? You think guys are going on road trips during their off days? And yeah there are definitely cities with better nightlife than Wpg but I think most organizations would prefer this wasn’t a selling point to their young prospects.
I think today's athlete, with the little downtime they have between games and all the travel, aren't thinking about where they can go party with the little free time they have. It's pretty clear that if you want to develop into an NHL player, most of your time is dedicated to games, travel, practice, working out and rest. He didn't like Jets team management telling him that there is no guarantee he burns a year off his ELC by playing in the NHL this year. I can guarantee you Pittsburgh assured him he would play above the minimum 10 games to burn the first year of ELC.

Once summer comes along you go wherever you want to live.

Hellebuyck, Connor and Scheifele all recently signed long term contracts to stay in Winnipeg, yeah it's not New York city but who cares when you're fully dedicated to a hockey career and your teammates.

Kid is just selfish and not thinking long term about his career, only worried about burning the first year of his ELC. Good to see he's now realizing that it's not a walk in the park to flourish in the NHL.

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Wasn’t the whole issue about him wanting to be in the NHL and jets wouldn’t guarantee that to him?
All official statements from GMs and agent say “we don’t know why”, but our reporters were quite confident that it was a usage issue. We even got the rumors that Rutger dictated usage to any potential trade destination. I refuse to believe this was baseless. Great leadership 🙄 Either way, enjoy the minors Rutger. Looks like it suits him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have heard the Jets owner does all he can to make up for Winnipeg being a lack of a destination city for players.

Things like exquisite family lounge at the arena, travel perks, top notch amenities, etc.

It makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad