Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Some time in the ahl with first line minutes and pp time will be good for him. I expect to see him back up later in the year or next year.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Looks like Rutger wasn't as NHL ready as he wanted to believe. Nobody outside the inner circle knows for sure, but if the kid got advice that he should get traded out of The Peg because they wouldn't guarantee him a roster spot, he unfortunately got some very bad advice. Hope the best for him though as he may be in the right spot for him right now.

He's in Pittsburgh now with even less winger depth, so in the long run it's better for him.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I mean, we’ve been led to believe that the whole reason why Rutger demanded a trade was because he thought he was NHL-ready and wanted immediate ice time, but the Winnipeg brass thought otherwise. Going back down to the minors is a normal thing for rookies, but here the context matters. Rutger getting benched/sent down after two shaky games shows there is a second organization that believes he is not ready, and his extortion for NHL ice time is therefore highly questionable. Jets fans have every right to be calling this out.

I just wish they'd do it on their boards since literally nobody else cares

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean, we’ve been led to believe that the whole reason why Rutger demanded a trade was because he thought he was NHL-ready and wanted immediate ice time, but the Winnipeg brass thought otherwise. Going back down to the minors is a normal thing for rookies, but here the context matters. Rutger getting benched/sent down after two shaky games shows there is a second organization that believes he is not ready, and his extortion for NHL ice time is therefore highly questionable. Jets fans have every right to be calling this out.
I don't know how you've concluded Pittsburgh thought he wasn't NHL ready. They quite literally did think he was NHL ready. He started in the NHL. That doesn't mean there won't be ups and downs, including a trip back to the minors. For all we know, it's for two weeks.

And that's assuming that Pittsburgh got it right. Not like he's had a really long stint in the NHL where anything has been proven. He's played like 35 total minutes. I think it's early to conclude anything from that. For all we know, he's 1PPG in the minors, too good for that league, and we're back in the same situation we were where the season began.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
I thought the Winnipeg GM is on record as saying he wasn’t given a reason as to why McGroarty wouldn’t sign?

In any event, he clearly wasn’t promised an NHL spot in Pittsburgh either, yet he was fine with signing there. That should tell you his concerns lie either with the Jets organization itself, or with the city of Winnipeg. I guess that’s a less palatable narrative for Jets fans though.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I thought the Winnipeg GM is on record as saying he wasn’t given a reason as to why McGroarty wouldn’t sign?

In any event, he clearly wasn’t promised an NHL spot in Pittsburgh either, yet he was fine with signing there. That should tell you his concerns lie either with the Jets organization itself, or with the city of Winnipeg. I guess that’s a less palatable narrative for Jets fans though.
Whatever the reasons - and really he’s the only one that knows how he feels - I think any franchise that picks a guy in the first round is investing in the player and thinking they will turn into something special. When the player says “it’s not a good fit” a few years later, it probably stings the fan base and the organization a bit. Coyotes fans felt it with Wheeler, Flyers fans felt it with Gauthier and now Jets fans likely feel it with McGroarty. Maybe they all didn't like the franchise, the city, the ownership, the coach. Who knows.

I’m over it, happy with the trade return and don’t really care what happens with McGroarty, good or bad. I think most Jets fans are in that same headspace.

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Tugger McGroans needs to work on foot speed and getting stronger. Whatever power elements he exploited in college aren’t working against top professionals. He’s average sized/strength at best with heavy feet. He still has terrific potential to improve but he’s not nearly as good as he thinks. The AHL should bring his ego down while he improves these skills. The ball’s in his court and it’s up to him if he gives it a proper tug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad