Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins sign Justin Schultz (1 yr, $1.4M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
How much did you expect a bottom pair defenseman to get?

Well he has his defensive liabilities for sure and agree that he's only a 3rd pairing guy but he has some things that usually drive a players number up. He's right handed, a good skater, and has more offensive upside than most 3rd pairing guys. So I did expect someone to overpay for him.

Good signing for the Pens and he has to be hoping that he has a full good year and puts up decent numbers so that he can sign a long term deal then. I guess we will see.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So what is the point of counting LTIR cap in the offseason when it literally means nothing in the regular season? Just seems unnecessary to have those conditions.

In this case it really doesn't matter since teams can go over the cap by 5% in the off-season, which is just about the percentage of Dupuis' cap hit against the cap.

I think the system exists to prevent teams from abusing the LTIR system, but don't quote me on that. Remember that LTIR space isn't just extra cap space, it has to be used to exist. It is in the Pens' best interest to go over the cap by as close to possible as Dupuis' cap hit, as that's the only way they get all of the cap hit 'back'.

There's a reason Jason Botteril makes the big bucks to handle the salary cap and I don't, this **** is complicated :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It will really be a great place for Justin to hopefully rediscover his game. Between the team in front of him, Gonchar and Martin, and his linemates, I expect him to redevelop in a similar fashion of Niskanen and Cole did.

Very happy.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Good deal for both sides. Schultz gets a full year with the pens to really prove his worth and continue his progression. He was steady in his role as a #6/7 dman for Pittsburgh, and showed flashes of real skill and smarts. Interested to see how he develops this season.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
So what is the point of counting LTIR cap in the offseason when it literally means nothing in the regular season? Just seems unnecessary to have those conditions.

Well the vast majority of LTIRed players are not permanently retired, but yeah, as long as the team is either right at the cap including the permanently finished player, or over the cap by the injured player's exact salary, it has very little impact.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I think the Oilers just kept trying to make him something he wasn't, and his confidence slowly eroded and hit the lowest of the lows last year. For sure, any fan hates to see guys making millions and giving up, but it became an impossible situation for him here. We needed him to play lots of minutes and he had to be out there against good players. He simply was not capable of handing that responsibility and no matter how hard he tried he was going to fail. Pretty crappy situation to be in.

I really don't think they did though. They wanted him to be a guy who put up points and he didn't even do that. If he was at least hitting the score sheet a lot of his defensive adventures would have easily been over looked but his offensive game disappeared despite getting all the offensive opportunities a guy could want. I still say he was lazy. Firing so many coaches can promote that in a player, give them the mindset that "well I don't have to change, it's the coaches who are wrong"

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Had he went to be a proper team with proper development his earnings would have been a lot higher. Schultz made the wrong choice to choose the Oilers when they were literally at the bottom in terms of defensive development.

Somewhat like karma when you screw over the team that drafted you for more money.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
YES! Finally. Good for the player and good for the team.

Pens didnt have much space to work with but this is making the most of it. Now the team has flexibility, and if Letang/Daley/Maatta stay healthy, good depth with the remaining four guys. Hoping Schultz can continue his revival last year, and Dumo/Pouliot become every day guys.

Great signing. I have a feeling we'll continue to see him recover/ improve as a player.

As a Devils fan, I can only hope this trend continues with all former Oilers.

With your guy there is nothing to improve. He's already brilliant and you guys dont have to do anything. Its amazing that of the "original four" top Oiler forwards (RHN, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov) you guys snagged the one that was the most productive and had best filled out his potential in EDM.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Dude is awesome, if we had gotten him earlier or gave him a greater role on the team, he would've been our 2nd best dman after Letang!

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
How much is Dan Girardi making these days? Players get overpaid all the time, especially in free agency.

Hey, dont forget about Staal. Those two are owed a combined $50.5M over the next six years!

If Scultz continues to recover his form, I'm sure he gets paid pretty handsomely next summer. Wonder if the Rangers will be handing him a six year deal too.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fanager says the Pens are over the cap by 2.2 mill. Who are the Pens gonna move? Fleury?

Hence the blizzard of Kunitz threads. Pens are in the same spot BOS was in a couple of years ago when they did the Boychuk deal. Hagelin might have to be moved, but will he get much interest?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hence the blizzard of Kunitz threads. Pens are in the same spot BOS was in a couple of years ago when they did the Boychuk deal. Hagelin might have to be moved, but will he get much interest?

Dupuis LTIR leaves ~$1.4 million available. The only way I see Hagelin leaving Pittsburgh in the next year is if he ends up being taken in the expansion draft. He's built for that system.

Pens fans have been trying to trade Kunitz for years, regardless of his cap hit :laugh:

vid387

Jun 23, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

No one is moving Hagelin. We are not in cap trouble. Still 2 million to spend this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cullen deserves more than 800-1M /yr. deal, especially since he is probably only looking at a single year term.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Hagelin doesn't have to be moved, and if he did there would definitely be interest.

People are not deducting Dupuis' cap hit. Once you take that out the Pens are under the cap with a full team signed, and even if they add Cullen on a team-friendly deal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It doesn't mean nothing in the regular season. No matter how much finagling the Penguins do I'm confident in predicting they won't be able to replace 100% of Dupuis' cap hit via LTIR. 80% or 90% might be doable with the right roster moves, but 100% is next to impossible to pull off.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Cullen deserves more than 800-1M /yr. deal, especially since he is probably only looking at a single year term.

The Pens could give him the same deal they just gave Schultz.

He made $900k last year, too, so it's not like he'll be taking a major paycut regardless if he chooses Pittsburgh or Minnesota. He'll get a slight raise one way or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad