Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins re-sign G Casey DeSmith (2 years, $1.8M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
That's pretty cheap....Im thinking he could have gotten a starting nod somewhere for more $$$ and possible another year. Enjoys being a 25 gm/yr backup?
Really? I mean I feel he has been alright in his role with the Pens but I boggle at the idea of him as a starter anywhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins fans have an irrational dislike of him I feel like. He's a reliable backup/1B that's not making a ton of money. I'm a bit uneasy due to his injury issues in the last 2 years, he's been unavailable in each of the last 2 playoffs due to injuries when they really needed him. But with that being said, the money is so cheap that it's hard to complain.

If the Penguins had more money available, I'd prefer for them to go after a better option, but an upgrade on DeSmith is a luxury item that they just didn't have the money for.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He’s an excellent backup, who can probably handle 30-35 games, when healthy. I trust that the Penguins medical staff feel like his injuries the last 2 years were more of a coincidence than a pattern or something chronic. If can stay healthy, this is a great signing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When he's hot, he's hot. When he's cold, he's cold.

I think he's capable of shouldering more of a workload than most backups if need be. This also let the Penguins plethora of good goalie prospects mature in the lower leagues until the cream rises to the top.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
When he's hot, he's hot. When he's cold, he's cold.

I think he's capable of shouldering more of a workload than most backups if need be. This also let the Penguins plethora of good goalie prospects mature in the lower leagues until the cream rises to the top.
I mean, this is every freaking goaltender in the NHL. The Pens got a reliable goaltender for cheap who can offer more if called upon. This is how you allocate $$$ for a goalie: low AAV, short term.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
Really? I mean I feel he has been alright in his role with the Pens but I boggle at the idea of him as a starter anywhere.
Jarry 2.57 GA .915% in 151 starts
DeSmith 2.67 GA .915% in 82 starts

Ya.......a few teams probably would have given him a good look. WORST case would have been he signs to be a 1B and gets at least 30-35 starts and probably would have gotten $2.25 - 2.5m for 2-3 yrs in FA.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
So the plan is just to run with him and Jarry next year, again.

I know the grass isnt always greener, and that a vet option like Holtby or Fleury coming in would be alot more expensive. But I cant help but feel a little underwhelmed when goaltending has been the primary undoing of the Pens postseason, two years straight, and the plan is just "run with the same tandem again."

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
CDS is our goalie version of the Defenses Chad Ruhwedel. Both keep resigning cheap, are serviceable, but have no great qualities.

I expected this..can we please figure out Letang and Malkin now Mr. Hextall?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Pros—0.916 sv% over 96 games and 4 seasons ranging from 0.912-0.921.

Cons—core muscle surgeries each of the last two years.

This is fine since the Pens are up against the cap. But, no storybook return of MAF.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Desmith is certainly one of the best backups in the league when he's playing well, but I'd hoped he would move on. Had my heart set on Fleury returning, guess that's not in the cards any longer.

Reactions: Giskard

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Penguins fans have an irrational dislike of him I feel like. He's a reliable backup/1B that's not making a ton of money. I'm a bit uneasy due to his injury issues in the last 2 years, he's been unavailable in each of the last 2 playoffs due to injuries when they really needed him. But with that being said, the money is so cheap that it's hard to complain.

If the Penguins had more money available, I'd prefer for them to go after a better option, but an upgrade on DeSmith is a luxury item that they just didn't have the money for.

It’s an open question how many better options at goal are even available for more money.

The Athletic had DeSmith 5th on their UFA goalie list and it gets worse real fast after him.

The wreckage after him are Holtby, Comrie, Wedgewood, Greiss and Jones (in that order). You know it’s a dire UFA goalie class when Scott Wedgewood is the 8th best one.

All five are under “Tier 3: Useful Depth”.

The second Tier is “Strong Support Players” with Fleury, Husso and Campbell (again, in that order).

The first Tier is “Top End Talent” with Kuemper.

While this can be supplemented with traded goalies, I’m skeptical that many will end up being moved since only a few teams have an excess supply (San Jose? Ottawa?). I guess Georgiev might get shipped out but then the Rangers are shopping for cheap good backup in a brutal UFA market.

Maybe someone steps up to get Gibson but I assume Anaheim has no interest in retaining salary for 5 years.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
That's a good deal. A lot of teams need goalies I figured he would have hit FA and made over 2 easily.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad