Pirates To Play Final Game In Rec Rink

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/travisleesports/status/456083371635277824

Colisee's Jim Cain tells @KThompson_WMTW Pirates will play final regular season home game at MHG Center in Saco Sat. Circus is on at Colisee

saco_sports_1.jpg

BTUva1FCQAIdqi8.png:large

There's a circus up in Lewiston on April 19, the date of the scheduled game between St. John's and Portland.

Get your tickets fast! There's only about 250 available!! :help:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Guess that's one way to ensure a sell-out. If both teams show up it's sold out.:laugh:

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
Just ordered my tickets! There is no more fitting end to this season than this - really at this point nothing is a surprise anymore. Last week a press release was sent out to announce the game on April 19th would be played as scheduled (yes, we need press releases to tell us games will happen at the same date and time it says on the ticket), only to have it revised today with the new venue...almost an hour drive away.

It really has gone beyond frustrating to the point of being a comedy show now.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates moving season finale to Saco
By Chris Roy | Updated: April 15, 2014

SACO – The circus is coming to town after all Saturday as the Androscoggin Bank Colisee will host the Kora Shire Circus as scheduled. As a result the Portland Pirates will play their season finale on that day at 7pm at MHG Ice Centre in Saco.

READ MORE>>>>

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The title is a little misleading…. It’s not really just a rec rink. Its part of a larger facility where the Pirates are based called the OA Sports Center. The facility houses MHG Ice Centre, OA Performance Center, which contains full medical facilities for handling sports injuries including surgical, rehabbing and diagnostic medical visits. It has an off-ice indoor training facility w/ indoor field turf, Michael Phelps Swim Center and fully completed out-fitted locker rooms for the Pirates and Junior Pirates. Offices for Octogon are also in the building. The place is really state of the art and one of a kind in the AHL.

It’s easy to throw all sort of blame, make jokes and call the Pirates a joke organization. Some of it is rightly deserved, but to fling mud – not intended at anyone directly – without know all the facts is just ignorance.

The Pirates could play in the Civic Center anyway this season with or without a lease dispute. The building was undergoing a $37M renovation and it wasn’t completed until mid-Feb. Even still the Pirates locker room and stuff pertaining to hockey hasn’t been completed yet and won’t until later this spring so the Pirates were playing this season in Lewiston regardless.

The lawsuit was silly, but it was as much driven by ego on both sides as anything…. That’s why Petro is now in the back of the bus and likely to be gone at some point in the future. The Pirates have a new majority owner w/ deep pockets, new COO who was a former player as well as other changes to the organization which are for the better I feel. That said, Church has only been on the job for what? 2 months?

The on-ice product is PHX’s fault… They need to fix it and I suspect they will this summer. The attendance issue? Who know that Lewiston wasn’t going to show up? For generations here Lewiston has been touted as Maine’s true hockeytown and they’ll show Portland. Well, they showed Portland alright. They should Portland they’ll never get another team every again. It’s one off events and maybe a low level junior hockey team that doesn’t require a gate.

Bottom line is everyone knew when the Pirates had to make a decision back in Sept to play in Lewiston. The Colisee should have know at that time and been working toward to getting a fix that would work for both sides. They didn’t and that’s on them. Not on the Pirates or the Shrine Circus. The Pirates looked at other venues like UMaine’s Alfond Arena, Sid Watson Arena (Bowdoin) in Brunswick as well as several other potential venues, but they decided on MHG because of timing. Also, because St. John’s is in a playoff battle with Bingo for home ice and they didn’t want to mess it because crazy travel. The IceCaps already have several plans in place for how rd 1 will be played and whether they have home ice or not.

So, it’s not they just closed their eyes and said let’s play here. There was a reason why they chose MHG.

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
The title is a little misleading…. It’s not really just a rec rink. Its part of a larger facility where the Pirates are based called the OA Sports Center. The facility houses MHG Ice Centre, OA Performance Center, which contains full medical facilities for handling sports injuries including surgical, rehabbing and diagnostic medical visits. It has an off-ice indoor training facility w/ indoor field turf, Michael Phelps Swim Center and fully completed out-fitted locker rooms for the Pirates and Junior Pirates. Offices for Octogon are also in the building. The place is really state of the art and one of a kind in the AHL.

It’s easy to throw all sort of blame, make jokes and call the Pirates a joke organization. Some of it is rightly deserved, but to fling mud – not intended at anyone directly – without know all the facts is just ignorance.

The Pirates could play in the Civic Center anyway this season with or without a lease dispute. The building was undergoing a $37M renovation and it wasn’t completed until mid-Feb. Even still the Pirates locker room and stuff pertaining to hockey hasn’t been completed yet and won’t until later this spring so the Pirates were playing this season in Lewiston regardless.

The lawsuit was silly, but it was as much driven by ego on both sides as anything…. That’s why Petro is now in the back of the bus and likely to be gone at some point in the future. The Pirates have a new majority owner w/ deep pockets, new COO who was a former player as well as other changes to the organization which are for the better I feel. That said, Church has only been on the job for what? 2 months?

The on-ice product is PHX’s fault… They need to fix it and I suspect they will this summer. The attendance issue? Who know that Lewiston wasn’t going to show up? For generations here Lewiston has been touted as Maine’s true hockeytown and they’ll show Portland. Well, they showed Portland alright. They should Portland they’ll never get another team every again. It’s one off events and maybe a low level junior hockey team that doesn’t require a gate.

Bottom line is everyone knew when the Pirates had to make a decision back in Sept to play in Lewiston. The Colisee should have know at that time and been working toward to getting a fix that would work for both sides. They didn’t and that’s on them. Not on the Pirates or the Shrine Circus. The Pirates looked at other venues like UMaine’s Alfond Arena, Sid Watson Arena (Bowdoin) in Brunswick as well as several other potential venues, but they decided on MHG because of timing. Also, because St. John’s is in a playoff battle with Bingo for home ice and they didn’t want to mess it because crazy travel. The IceCaps already have several plans in place for how rd 1 will be played and whether they have home ice or not.

So, it’s not they just closed their eyes and said let’s play here. There was a reason why they chose MHG.

The Maineiacs attendance was awful so for Cain to pretend they were gonna sell out the Colisee every night was good theater.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
The title is a little misleading…. It’s not really just a rec rink.

I don't know, the rink itself I would consider a rec rink. The rest of the building is really nice, I agree, but I consider all ice surfaces with less than 500 seating "rec rinks," certainly not arenas.

Another thought: Will this game be on AHL Live? Love to see where they put the camera...

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
I don't know, the rink itself I would consider a rec rink. The rest of the building is really nice, I agree, but I consider all ice surfaces with less than 500 seating "rec rinks," certainly not arenas.

Another thought: Will this game be on AHL Live? Love to see where they put the camera...

There's a platform between the two benches that's usually used for broadcasting. It's not great.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011

Just curious about why St.John's had any factor in where the game was played,regardless of where,the Icecaps would fly back to St.John's sunday no matter where they played,as the playoffs prob wont start till Friday,and their 4 pts up on 5th,so if they get a point in Worcester they will be staying in 4th,the fact Pens and Sens play Friday almost assures the Caps 4th,as 1 team has to lose.I mean if it were a preferred location would be Boston as they fly out

Regardless the Icecaps are coming back to St.John's sunday to prepare for the playoffs and then jet out later the week ,cause most likely they be starting on the road in either Bingo or WB,but I guess Saco is 45 min closer to Boston,so it be easier

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The idea was to have St. John's fly into Boston on Wed instead of Thursday and play Portland on Thursday and Worcester on Friday. They told Brad Church that travel plans prevented that. According to Church the IceCaps informed him that they couldn't play Sunday because if they had home ice they wanted to fly back to STJ on Sunday. They also told him they aren't planning on flying back right away if they have to start the playoffs on the road.

Just going by what we've been told.

Last edited:

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
The idea was to have St. John's fly into Boston on Wed instead of Thursday and play Portland on Thursday and Worcester on Friday. They're travel plans prevented that. According to Pirates' COO Brad Church IceCaps informed him that they couldn't play Sunday because if they had home ice they wanted to fly out back to STJ on Sunday. They also told him they aren't planning on flying back right away if they have to start the playoffs on the road.

Just going by what we've told.

that makes sence,as Saco is closer to Worcester and Boston,i just assumed they were coming back to St.John's esp if the playoffs start Friday,seems like a long time on the road

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
The AHL is having tough times lately. You know things like this reflect directly on the league.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they should relocate to Arizona as of next season.

Felt funny to even write that.

But I think they should do that if Arizona is trying to expand their fanbase.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I think they should relocate to Arizona as of next season.

Felt funny to even write that.

But I think they should do that if Arizona is trying to expand their fanbase.
You don't have a clue do you....

1. PHX doesn't own the franchise so they can't relocate.
2. POR is moving into a renovated Civic Center. Signed 5yr lease with 5yr option.
3. There is a buyout on the lease, but its so cost prohibitive that it practically means the team is in POR for five years with or without the Coyotes affiliation.

So... The Coyotes can move, but they need to buy a franchise. Same for Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad