OT: Pirates Talk: That Skenes guy is okay at teh baseball

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I mean, it's a terrible look ... from an optics point of view. Not that the Pirates have ever given a shit about how they look ...

Reactions: Ryder71

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That sounds like someone who was caught doing something shitty and is now lying about it.
Nutting really has zero benefits of the doubt when it comes to this. It is even a national story on ESPN despite being about chump change in baseball terms because of his rep. Tellez, 4 PA's shy of $200K bonus, cut by Pirates

Not that he cares. Honestly, at this point no one else cares much either. If you already are seen as the villian do you really think that this is the final straw that will blacken his reputation more?

And the scaring UFA signings away argument is silly. That cake was baked long ago as well.

It is what it is.

You have some exciting players to watch. Likely a generational pitcher for a while. Enjoy that.

Nutting is just going to Nutting. Getting upset about it is like yelling at a tornado.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If I am Tellez, I am having a grievance filed on my behalf. He might not get the full $200,000 but I bet he can get some sort of settlement.

I am not a union type guy but this is egregious, petty and unprofessional. It will not go unnoticed around the league.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I am Tellez, I am having a grievance filed on my behalf. He might not get the full $200,000 but I bet he can get some sort of settlement.

I am not a union type guy but this is egregious, petty and unprofessional. It will not go unnoticed around the league.

He has no basis to file that grievance.

The Nutting owned Pirates are a trash franchise, but if Tellez didn't want this possibility to happen, he shouldn't have negotiated it in his deal.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Not surprising, but pretty funny. Nutting has no shame. It's a bad look but Nutting don't care. Skenes and UFA's however might. Like I said it's a bad look.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He has no basis to file that grievance.

The Nutting owned Pirates are a trash franchise, but if Tellez didn't want this possibility to happen, he shouldn't have negotiated it in his deal.
If you mess around with a married woman, then marry her, don't be shocked when she cheats on you.

He may not have expected Nutting to screw him over like that over what to Nutting was walking around money. But was he really all that surprised? If so, that is on him.

Not surprising, but pretty funny. Nutting has no shame. It's a bad look but Nutting don't care. Skenes and UFA's however might. Like I said it's a bad look.
Good call. They screwed over the chance of Skenes resigning with Pittsburgh when he hits free agency. Way to destroy my realistic dreams.

Reactions: Ryder71

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
While I understand why people think this Tellez stunt would have a chilling effect on signing free agents, in order for that to matter, there would have to be a free agent the Pirates are interested in that doesn't have other better (or equivalent) offers around the league - we know they don't sign guys who do, so while a shitty look and a dick move, it's not going to matter.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
They stuck with him for no reason other than they owed him money. The did not care that he was killing us partway through the year. They just cared about the money and not admitting that they f***ed up with yet another FA signing. Now we are supposed to believe they suddenly couldn't handle having Tellez on the team for the last 6 games and just had to get rid of him now, and it had nothing to do with money. What a total joke this organization is. The entire management team needs to be canned immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad