Confirmed with Link: Pinto signed two-year, 7.5M deal. $3.75 AAV.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

What we should have done with Pinto

Now it’s going to cost more
It's probably going to cost more in a couple years, but we're in pretty crucial period where we need to win immediately. If we signed him for 5 million we'd be in a really tough spot.

Now Hamonic doesn't need to be an NHL regular and nuke our games.

Reactions: LiseL and swiftwin

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It's probably going to cost more in a couple years, but we're in pretty crucial period where we need to win immediately. If we signed him for 5 million we'd be in a really tough spot.

Now Hamonic doesn't need to be an NHL regular and nuke our games.

I think its always important to lock up your core guys especially if its for a reasonable deal.

Pinto could be our #2 C depending on Norris.
Getting him for 5 would have been terrific

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
At first glance, the deal seems fine because yay, we have cap flexibility.

But in the larger picture, especially after we look at what Lundell (someone's who's better than Pinto) signed for, this deal is frustrating.

Look I love that we're not handing out an 8x8 deal, but we needed a deal similar to what Batherson got (which is probably Dorion's best contract). Pinto is going to cost us more down the road, and if Staios had chilled on some other signings, maybe we'd have a Bath deal for Pinto.

Hoping Pinto continues to progress and makes the case for warranting a big raise.

Reactions: DrEasy and DJB

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Great deal, I like it. Would've preferred a long term contract but this is good as well. Let Pinto prove himself a bit more before earning the big bucks. But why on earth did we just throw away Joseph and a 3rd then? Would've liked to have kept him too.
Yes, exactly your first 2 sentences! Term can be great, but we have to consider that the Sens (Dorion) signed lots of the younger players to long term expensive contracts to lock them in. It looks good when it works but a fair number of those contracts have not aged well. The team is taking a chance that they may end up paying even more if the player is able to prove themselves, but that's the point! At least they'll be paying based on a proven record of contribution, performance. If they do pay more at least that is pay earned rather than pay based on expections, potential or worse, hopes or prayers. The other benefit to bridge is that you have more CAP available in the short term to improve the team. Can't ignore that.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think its always important to lock up your core guys especially if its for a reasonable deal.

I think the details align well for the club with 2 years of RFA following the current bridge. It will cost them more, but it allows them to improve the team a little bit short term, while assessing what they have long term. It could end up with the club having more years out of him too. 6 year deal and he's a UFA after. Maybe we go 2 then 6, 7 or 8 after.

Reactions: LiseL and WallyD

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
This bridge deal is smart. Gives Staios a chance to assess Norris and our other crew to see if anyone is worth trading. Furthermore, we give Pinto two more years to show us he's a break-out second line center.
Consider too that this buys the Sens more time to see what shakes out wrt Norris.

Edit... D'oh... sorry DSF, you obviously did exactly that! lol

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Bridge was the way to go.. he gets that 5M salary in y2... and gets a new deal after that... Its a good bridge and he can cash in if he produces
His QO will be anchored to his last year pay, not AAV, so very smart of him (& agent) to back-load it that way. The team pays the same AAV wise in terms of cap hit, but this counts for them. I guess the team agreeing to BL it was just a bit more sugar.

Yeah but his NHL salary still counts against the cap and I have to believe management expects him to get a few call ups.
Doesn't it only count against cap when he is playing up with the Sens?

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Only when he's called up does it count against the cap
The whole amount? Is his NHL cap hit only for the games he is up with the big boys, is it prorated or must the Sens apply the full annual AAV while he is up? I could see the league forcing them to apply the balance of the season while he is called up because the league has no idea how long the Sens plan to keep him there, but any games he played in AHL is water under the bridge. Also, if he is returned, only the games he played should count against cap. So confusing. Again, I need my secret decoder ring.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The whole amount? Is his NHL cap hit only for the games he is up with the big boys, is it prorated or must the Sens apply the full annual AAV while he is up? I could see the league forcing them to apply the balance of the season while he is called up because the league has no idea how long the Sens plan to keep him there, but any games he played in AHL is water under the bridge. Also, if he is returned, only the games he played should count against cap. So confusing. Again, I need my secret decoder ring.
Cap is calculated daily, so the yearly charge would depend on how many days he is on team, for the year.
While he is on the team,
It’s the full cap hit at that moment.

Reactions: WallyD

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I think it is going to cost them a lot more on the second contract than it would have if they didn't bridge him. They also risk losing him. He has an aggressive agent, and he can use arbitration to bridge his way directly to free agency (which would likely result in a trade ala M. Tkachuk).

With that said, they have so little cap flexibility over the next two years and there is a tremendous amount of pressure to win now with Giroux as a pending UFA, and Tkachuk's NMC coming up. I understand why they went for a bridge contract here. They likely saved around 2M in cap vs a mid-term deal, or 3-4M vs a max-term deal.

Looking at the roster now, even with all the changes and additions, we are lacking in depth. We don't have an NHL bottom pair on D. Our 4th line is questionable. Going mid or max term with Pinto would have meant losing 1-2 other role players.

Reactions: LiseL

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Where would Pinto go in a 2019 re-draft? Shout to @Micklebot @aragorn for bringing this up in another thread.

1. Hughes
  2. Seider
  3. Cozens
  4. Boldy
  5. Caufield
  6. Zegras
  7. Byram
  8. Pinto
  9. Harley
  10. Maccelli
I don't like Caufield & see Pinto as rght up there with Cozens who I think is a decent comparable. Hopefully, he starts next yr the way he played when he came back from suspension & with the Norris situation it's likely he fills one of the two top six centre spots given Norris could be moved to the wing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Where would Pinto go in a 2019 re-draft? Shout to @Micklebot @aragorn for bringing this up in another thread.

1. Hughes
  2. Seider
  3. Cozens
  4. Boldy
  5. Caufield
  6. Zegras
  7. Byram
  8. Pinto
  9. Harley
  10. Maccelli
I think you got it about right, Zegras is a bit tricky, I like Pinto more, and while Byram still has loads of upside, I'm not sure I'd swap them (he did seem to really excel with additional opportunity in buffalo)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I always go for bridge contracts on NHL 24. Then sign Longterm. So I think this means Staois did the smart thing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Reactions: Relapsing

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
$3.6 m of projected cap space so the moves will have be small ones.

1000001173.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His QO will be anchored to his last year pay, not AAV, so very smart of him (& agent) to back-load it that way. The team pays the same AAV wise in terms of cap hit, but this counts for them. I guess the team agreeing to BL it was just a bit more sugar.
The QO maxes out at 120% of the AAV, there was and change in the MoU for contracts signed after 2020.

Yes, he’ll have a $5 m Qualifying Offer when this contract expires.
4.5 I believe, the MoU after Covid changed the rules to cap QO's at 120% of the AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad