Rumor: Pinto and OTT not talking. Could ask for trade..

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
So your team is losing a first to get pinto
I mean with Pinto in their lineup next year I dont see Habs as a bottom 15 team.

And he fits the Core.

Gallagher - Anderson-Matheson-Savard are all gone by the time Demidov, Reinbacher, Beck , etc ask for their $ so wed be more rhan OK

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean with Pinto in their lineup next year I dont see Habs as a bottom 15 team.

And he fits the Core.

Gallagher - Anderson-Matheson-Savard are all gone by the time Demidov, Reinbacher, Beck , etc ask for their $ so wed be more rhan OK
Good chance they are bottom 15 with pinto

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

And he fits the Core.

Something similar to this is said by like 10 fanbases before every season starts.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The could waive Joseph and JBD and replace them with two mimimum salary players. Could do the same with Anton Forsberg.

Obviously it wouldn’t be ideal, but it would’t be impossible to get out of.
Assuming someone claims them. That’s not gonna be easy to do. I’m not so sure it would be as easy as some fans want to believe. Every team in the league would know their predicament too. So if you’re calling me to dump Joseph, I’m asking for an insane type of sweetener.

If a team has ever been in a position to be the victims of an offer sheet, it might be the Sens right now. They either negotiate a trade or take the 1st and 3rd, or it likely costs them a 1st Round Pick, which would leave them without a 1st Rkunder for the next two years.

I’m looking at their roster right now. Even if they traded Batherson, teams won’t be so willing to give anything up over those 7 days.

Now, I’m not doing it to them if I’m another manager, because the whole karma thing, but they are vulnerable right now. They’re gonna need more than just over $2 million. They only have 18 players signed. You can’t operate with no cap, 4-5 players short.

There’s people who think Pinto is gonna be a special player.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
What would Ottawa want from the Flyers? They are loaded with 1st and 2nd round picks next year. Maybe Ottawa would rather get a player back but the draft picks can still be flipped

Reactions: Blueston

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I see a lot of really misinformed posters on here who are following a lead/headline that turned out to be false.

Pinto didn't ask for a trade. He's said in the past he wants to be here long-term.

This is an agent trying to maximize the dollar value for his client and milk every penny from the Sens.

I don't imagine they will trade Pinto outside of something that makes it hurt. He's not being traded for a failed project or spare parts.

They'll likely sign him closer to training camp honestly.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Something similar to this is said by like 10 fanbases before every season starts.

Salf-Suzuki-Caufield
Anderson-Pinto-Dach
Roy-Newhook-Dvorak/Gallagher
RHP-Evans-Armia/Gallagher

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris

This is really not terrible. And guys like Beck - Kapanen - other rookie could steal a spot there as well from a vet like Dvorak...

Sending a pick around 15-20 and a 3rd for Pinto, to a team in our division so a direct rival.... Very tempting for sure

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Staios literally said they are talking with Pinto and he hasn't asked for a trade.

Perhaps a thread called "Pinto and OTT not talking. Could ask for trade.." should be closed, given this information.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Salf-Suzuki-Caufield
Anderson-Pinto-Dach

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris

This is really not terrible. And guys like Beck - Kapanen - other rookie could steal a spot there as well from a vet like Dvorak...

Sending a pick around 15-20 and a 3rd for Pinto, to a team in our division so a direct rival.... Very tempting for sure
Like I said, this always happens. I’ve seen fanbases (like mine) with far better rosters on paper go into a season confident only to shit the bed. Until I actually see that team get out if the bottom 5 I’m not going to take any prediction that has them as a top 15 team seriously.

That defence is ugly on paper. Hutson still has ways to go defensively, making that bottom 4 basically AHL-tier defensively. That forward core has a huge lack of experience.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
They never had room for him before the suspension, so I'm not sure why you are using it to justify anything. They could have either made room for someone they consider a core piece, or they could do what they did and potentially burn a very important bridge to help out their cap for half a season in a year where they were going nowhere.
Hey did you know they fired the guy who ran that negotiation? No? Cool. Well, they did.

Oh hey, did you also know that they cited his handling of the negotiation as a reason for the firing? No? Hmm, sounds like you havent really been following the situation at all. Thats ok though.

Hey, did you know there are far better RFAs still unsigned, including at least one who went through a far more contentious negotiation? No, not that either?

Huh. Guess I’m wasting my time.

Reactions: SirPaste

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rs offer swap of better picks + Sykora elc for lesser picks + Pinto [rights]
one NYR 1st for one OTT 2nd
plus 2 NYR 2nds for two OTT 3rds

3 instances where Sens move up
Sykora is younger C prospect projects compete for spot next training camp

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Like in most cases, an offer sheet would be inefficient. The value of the cap space wasted overpaying him along with a an unprotected 1st+2nd+3rd or 1st+3rd exceeds Pinto's value. There is too much risk.

It makes more sense to offer Ottawa a trade, but then a team has to offer something good. It can't just be Scott Laughton 1 for 1, take it or leave it. That defeats the point for most fans, because they view offer sheets as a cheat code, a way to get a player for less assets than they are worth, when the reality is a successful offer sheet usually requires an overpayment in assets.

Offer sheets only work in very unique situations. Usually, teams with the cap space to do what Carolina did with Kotkaniemi are budget teams who do not want to overspend like that. Contenders rarely are in a position like Carolina was, where they can pay a player double their market value in cap to secure them via an offer sheet.

Additionally, teams with cap space will be reticent to give up an unprotected 1st. A famous example was Colorado back in 2018. They considered sending an offer sheet to Mark Stone. They owned the Senators 2019 1st Round Pick. Losing Stone would have instantly boosted the value of that asset. Additionally, it would have handcuffed the Senators because if they matched, they would risk losing Stone for nothing since they could not trade him for a year and he only had 1 year of team control remaining. It is likely that the prospect of not being able to protect their 1st stopped Colorado from doing it. They were coming off a playoff appearance, but they also missed in the three previous seasons. Jack Hughes was available at the top of the draft. The lottery rules were extremely volatile. A team could barely miss the playoffs and end up with a top 3 pick. That is why I suspect Colorado backed off.

An offer sheet to Pinto would require a team to view him as more valuable than what the current consensus is. If a team views Pinto as a year or two away from being a prime Ryan O'Reilly type, then yes, go ahead and sign him to a 6.8M offer sheet. With that said, out of the 16 teams who have their 1st+3rd and can do that, a trade still would be more efficient.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess Pinto really wants to make up for the salary lost after he was caught gambling.
41 games for a proxy bet on football. What a criminal!

It's July and his agent is making noise. Don't think it's really in the best interests for his client. But good for him he's an RFA. I'm glad the GM just isn't giving in. As a new GM it would show weakness.

Lots of RFA's haven't signed yet. Maybe we should make a trade rumor thread for them too.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Assuming someone claims them. That’s not gonna be easy to do. I’m not so sure it would be as easy as some fans want to believe. Every team in the league would know their predicament too. So if you’re calling me to dump Joseph, I’m asking for an insane type of sweetener.

If a team has ever been in a position to be the victims of an offer sheet, it might be the Sens right now. They either negotiate a trade or take the 1st and 3rd, or it likely costs them a 1st Round Pick, which would leave them without a 1st Rkunder for the next two years.

I’m looking at their roster right now. Even if they traded Batherson, teams won’t be so willing to give anything up over those 7 days.

Now, I’m not doing it to them if I’m another manager, because the whole karma thing, but they are vulnerable right now. They’re gonna need more than just over $2 million. They only have 18 players signed. You can’t operate with no cap, 4-5 players short.

There’s people who think Pinto is gonna be a special player.
They have 4.4 million in cap space. What are you going on about?....

Norris is probably gonna end up on the LTIR too.

A massive sweetener to take Joseph? Haha are you insane?

Staios literally said they are talking with Pinto and he hasn't asked for a trade.

Perhaps a thread called "Pinto and OTT not talking. Could ask for trade.." should be closed, given this information.
No no it won't satisfy the Montreal and Toronto insecure fanbase pile on.

The amount of assumptions and flat out bad math in this thread is embarrassing.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Salf-Suzuki-Caufield
Anderson-Pinto-Dach

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris

Our team is still very green.
The bad vets dragging that team lower are the older players up front. Which is good for a rebuilding team, but it increase the average age. In truth, our team is probably top5 youngest team in the league still next season.
If they finish higher than bottom 15 it would be a big step forward! Specially if you trade guys like Savard around the deadline.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Like in most cases, an offer sheet would be inefficient. The value of the cap space wasted overpaying him along with a an unprotected 1st+2nd+3rd or 1st+3rd exceeds Pinto's value. There is too much risk.

It makes more sense to offer Ottawa a trade, but then a team has to offer something good. It can't just be Scott Laughton 1 for 1, take it or leave it. That defeats the point for most fans, because they view offer sheets as a cheat code, a way to get a player for less assets than they are worth, when the reality is a successful offer sheet usually requires an overpayment in assets.

Offer sheets only work in very unique situations. Usually, teams with the cap space to do what Carolina did with Kotkaniemi are budget teams who do not want to overspend like that. Contenders rarely are in a position like Carolina was, where they can pay a player double their market value in cap to secure them via an offer sheet.

Additionally, teams with cap space will be reticent to give up an unprotected 1st. A famous example was Colorado back in 2018. They considered sending an offer sheet to Mark Stone. They owned the Senators 2019 1st Round Pick. Losing Stone would have instantly boosted the value of that asset. Additionally, it would have handcuffed the Senators because if they matched, they would risk losing Stone for nothing since they could not trade him for a year and he only had 1 year of team control remaining. It is likely that the prospect of not being able to protect their 1st stopped Colorado from doing it. They were coming off a playoff appearance, but they also missed in the three previous seasons. Jack Hughes was available at the top of the draft. The lottery rules were extremely volatile. A team could barely miss the playoffs and end up with a top 3 pick. That is why I suspect Colorado backed off.

An offer sheet to Pinto would require a team to view him as more valuable than what the current consensus is. If a team views Pinto as a year or two away from being a prime Ryan O'Reilly type, then yes, go ahead and sign him to a 6.8M offer sheet. With that said, out of the 16 teams who have their 1st+3rd and can do that, a trade still would be more efficient.
But, in some situations an offer sheet can facilitate, if not force, a trade. If a team made a 4 year offer to Pinto and OTT matched, he'd be a UFA in 4 years. For a team that's still building (and a player who is not quite "there" yet), OTT might be inclined to talk trade with the other team. Otherwise, they could be looking at getting maybe 2 or 3 years out of Pinto where both he and the team can do some damage.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
One is a legit NHL stud. The other is Arthur Kaliyev. Not remotely close value-wise imo.
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 12.42.09 PM.png

It's not that crazy, Kaliyev's just been jerked around horribly by the Kings organization. This is with Kaliyev being given mostly fourth-line minutes. Pinto has played 80 more minutes on the power play than Kaliyev too, despite being our second-best power play shooter.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 2.37.32 PM.png

Kaliyev could be a stud somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad