Value of: Pierre-Olivier Joseph

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why would we move him? WTF is with EVERY Penguins fan being desperate to move our first rounders and best prospects? STOP! :laugh:

This is the part where I point out that the OP is not a Pens fan, and not one Pens fan in this thread has supported trading POJ.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Perhaps you're not understanding the post or misread the prefix.
This is to seen his trade value. He seems to be a disappointment as a 1st round pick so far.

Its somewhat dumb to even bring up trade value on this player. Why is he a disappointment? Only one of Colorado's draft picks in 2014 has been in the NHL, the fifth round pick. Maybe we should list Conner Bleackley as a disappointment since he was drafted the same slot in the first round as POJ three years prior.

POJ just got to Pittsburgh in the Kessel deal. Very well could be on the roster next year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Has he filled out any with WBS? That’s going to be his biggest thing to take the next step.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Has he filled out any with WBS? That’s going to be his biggest thing to take the next step.

Not hugely - put on 10 lbs, got mono and lost it, put some back on - but he has got more powerful. Biggest increase in leg strength down in WBS this season. Only camp scrimmages but strength hasn't looked like an issue for him this week.

That's a rather ironic statement.

POJ without professional experience was traded, like a bunch of prospects are.

POJ with a season of pro experience in which he was getting 26 minutes a night in the AHL at the end of it is a different kettle of fish, and guys in his situation are traded less frequently (until they prove they don't actually have NHL potential).

Reactions: Mosby

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not hugely - put on 10 lbs, got mono and lost it, put some back on - but he has got more powerful. Biggest increase in leg strength down in WBS this season. Only camp scrimmages but strength hasn't looked like an issue for him this week.

POJ without professional experience was traded, like a bunch of prospects are.

POJ with a season of pro experience in which he was getting 26 minutes a night in the AHL at the end of it is a different kettle of fish, and guys in his situation are traded less frequently (until they prove they don't actually have NHL potential).
Not doubting you (well I kinda am) but what is your source for AHL time on ice. 26 minutes a night? As an average? Yeah I'm going to need some kind of evidence of that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not doubting you (well I kinda am) but what is your source for AHL time on ice. 26 minutes a night? As an average? Yeah I'm going to need some kind of evidence of that.

Direct quote from his coach as relayed by a beat writer -

“He’s outstanding. He had a setback early in the season with Mono(nucleosis), but he played 27 minutes a game. All tough situations,” Vellucci’s praise began. “He got better and better, every day. I’m very impressed.”

So turns out I misremembered and it's actually 27. I dunno if that was his average all season, or just the end, but 27 minutes a night is what Vellucci told Kingerski.

Also said in a Q&A with another beat writer that he thought POJ could have played sheltered NHL minutes after Christmas and would do well if called up next year (Yohe at the Athletic's pretty sure the plan is POJ makes his NHL debut next season). Made big strides towards being NHL ready this season, even if his ceiling once there may or may not be that high.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Direct quote from his coach as relayed by a beat writer -

“He’s outstanding. He had a setback early in the season with Mono(nucleosis), but he played 27 minutes a game. All tough situations,” Vellucci’s praise began. “He got better and better, every day. I’m very impressed.”

So turns out I misremembered and it's actually 27. I dunno if that was his average all season, or just the end, but 27 minutes a night is what Vellucci told Kingerski.

Also said in a Q&A with another beat writer that he thought POJ could have played sheltered NHL minutes after Christmas and would do well if called up next year (Yohe at the Athletic's pretty sure the plan is POJ makes his NHL debut next season). Made big strides towards being NHL ready this season, even if his ceiling once there may or may not be that high.
I wouldn't be surprised if he does see some NHL action next year. I still am extremely skeptical that he averaged 26 or 27 minutes a night in the AHL, no matter what the coach said. Perhaps he meant that there were a game or 2 where he did. Not a single NHL D averaged 27 minutes a night and only 1 avg 26. Given that Warsofsky is a veteran and had double POJ's pts, I think it's fair to assume he had more ice time and I can't imagine a team that had 2 guys close to 30 minutes.

None of that takes away from his upside or progress as a prospect but I really really doubt he was getting "26 minutes a night" (as in most nights). As I said, the coach was probably saying there were a couple nights he did. Without AHL TOI stats it's impossible to know.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if he does see some NHL action next year. I still am extremely skeptical that he averaged 26 or 27 minutes a night in the AHL, no matter what the coach said. Perhaps he meant that there were a game or 2 where he did. Not a single NHL D averaged 27 minutes a night and only 1 avg 26. Given that Warsofsky is a veteran and had double POJ's pts, I think it's fair to assume he had more ice time and I can't imagine a team that had 2 guys close to 30 minutes.

None of that takes away from his upside or progress as a prospect but I really really doubt he was getting "26 minutes a night" (as in most nights). As I said, the coach was probably saying there were a couple nights he did. Without AHL TOI stats it's impossible to know.

I understand the skepticism and wouldn't mind seeing clarification from Vellucci myself. That said, even getting there some nights is big and given that POJ was more all situations and listed as first pairing over Warsofsky, I can believe he was getting more ToI.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Shouldn't this be in the prospect forum? I don't see teams having any specific interest in POJ.... A B level prospect.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Now a restricted free agent. As a former first-round pick what type of contract can he expect and where does he fit with the Penguins in 2024-25?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad