Tribute Pierre Dorion appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Surprised no one created a thread for one of the longest tenured GMs in recent times.

He has seen the organization go through the ups and the downs. He has been in the shadows of well respected men in this organization in the past. Gaining knowledge and sharpening his toolbox for when he became the eventual GM and as some would see it, the face of the organization.

He had some good moments, bad moments and outright legendary meme moments. He made us angry, happy, sad and in some cases fall in love. He is an array of adjectives. He was a penetrable barrier that poorly protected us from Melnyk.

He is not what we want to remember from the past but rather something we want to forget and sweep under the rug.

He is Pierre Dorion.

Best of luck in your future endeavours big guy.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I’ll quote myself from the firing thread…

Dorion was a great head of amateur scouting, as Andlauer made a point of acknowledging. Andlauer didn't say much about Dorion's GM tenure. But it's got to be recognized that Dorion was running with next to no support. Now, he might be to blame for that a bit himself, but mostly that's the limitation of the org he worked for. Being over-extended and having to do it all yourself will lead to lack of oversight, mistakes, bad judgment.

Pour one out for Dorion. He was in over his head with no swim buddies. And probably sufferend from Dunning-Kruger effect as he was promoted into the void of Sens upper management. If I were a POHO or owner of another team, I'd look at Dorion as a candidate for a scouting or AGM role.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I’ll quote myself from the firing thread…

Dorion was a great head of amateur scouting, as Andlauer made a point of acknowledging. Andlauer didn't say much about Dorion's GM tenure. But it's got to be recognized that Dorion was running with next to no support. Now, he might be to blame for that a bit himself, but mostly that's the limitation of the org he worked for. Being over-extended and having to do it all yourself will lead to lack of oversight, mistakes, bad judgment.

Pour one out for Dorion. He was in over his head with no swim buddies. And probably sufferend from Dunning-Kruger effect as he was promoted into the void of Sens upper management. If I were a POHO or owner of another team, I'd look at Dorion as a candidate for a scouting or AGM role.

True. Great scout.

I wonder if all those "for future considerations" will land him a job somewhere.

The one thing I am happy about now, is we will only have to listen to the haters talk about DJ and Chabot for the next little while.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
well-bye.gif

The contracts with the young core are great, but the 1st rounder is going to leave a sour taste for a long time.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Started off as a very good scout, was evidently at the right place at the right time and in way over his head as a GM but kudos for being the invincible cockroach that never died after 8 years and credit where it's due, his re-signings were pretty on point. Everything else except for a couple of good trades, complete dumpster fire...

I'm kind of gonna miss his maximum cringey pressers and interviews, and his vomit inducing "flirting" with the media... Time to level up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alex1234

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What's crazy is that Andlauer and co were willing to give Pierre a totally undeserving "fair" shake but Pierre torpedoed not only his chance to prove himself but his entire NHL career.

Reactions: Alex1234

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What's crazy is that Andlauer and co were willing to give Pierre a totally undeserving "fair" shake but Pierre torpedoed not only his chance to prove himself but his entire NHL career.

I don't think it was a fair shake. I think it was strategic. It was too late in the off-season to clean house. Dorion made all the moves in the summer and created a cap mess. It gave them a fall guy for if they had to make an unpopular trade related to Pinto (either trading Pinto, or losing a 1st to clear cap). Rather than let Staios or the new GM make that trade and take the blame for it, leave it up to Pierre to be the fall guy.

Also, it seems like Andlauer knew about the Dadonov thing early on, but may have not received the complete info about the possible punishment. If he knew about the Dadonov thing, even if he thought the punishment the Senators would receive would be minimal, it might have been a scenario where he knew he could wait a month and he would have ammo to fire Dorion with cause. Dorion technically resigned, but the big distinction is that firing Dorion in September means paying him for almost a year, firing him a month or so later means not paying him and getting a scapegoat. Scapegoat being a poorly chosen word, more that he could make the person responsible for the situations that led to the firing (Pinto, Dadonov) take the fall, rather than set up whoever is going to be the face of the management group to do it.

Reactions: Agent Zub

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I'll just leave this here:

It's amazing. They got Tkachuk signed with no signing bonuses. No front-loaded money. The consolations they gave him were one less UFA year, a higher AAV than what was market-value at the time, and a NMC.

The Tkachuk contract was Tkachuk relenting and wanting to play. His family was doing the full court press, even his brother was on the radio diverting the heat to him and their dad. Tkachuk ended up signing what was a super soft deal considering how important buyout protection is for star players under 26.

I assume Melnyk was mad about paying 8.2M for a 45 point player or whatever. Basically, the average Twitter take at the time.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Copied and updated from another thread, but more suitable for here. Purely looking at Dorion's legacy in hindsight; in no particular order:

Names that trigger: Ziba, Condon, Duchene/Turris/Byram, Hoffman, Goalie debacles: Gustavsson/Talbot/Murray, Stepan, Stone trade, Duclair, defensive disasters: Gudbransson/Reilly/Hainsey/J. Brown/Del Zotto, Colin White, Mann Brothers, DeBrincat, Burrows, Oduya, Dadonov, Zaitsev, 1st round draft disasters: Tyler Boucher/Lassi/JBD/L. Brown, no room for Pinto under the cap

Happy dance: Zub, drafting Tkachuk, drafting Sanderson, Karlsson's returns (Norris/Pinto/1st/DeMelo/etc.), Greig, Stutzle's contract, C. Brown, Giroux, drafting Batherson and Formenton

No credit nor blame: Formenton situation, Pinto gambling situation, shoulder injuries, goalie injuries, San Jose pick wins the lottery, Stutzle drafter 3rd OA

TBD: Korpisalo/Sogaard/Merilainen, Jarventie vs Peterka, Chychrun

...and plenty more I forget...

Last edited:
Reactions: Flamingo

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
There’s not going to be a lot i opportunities for PD to find work again in the NHL, his agent has his work cutout for himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra63

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
There’s not going to be a lot i opportunities for PD to find work again in the NHL, his agent had his work cutout for himself.
What would be hilarious is if Vegas shook Dorion from the Senators’ tree by pressuring Bettman to follow through with a stiff penalty…. as a way to put him in a position to want to accept their offer of being their head of amateur scouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad