Pick one - One #1 Overall Pick or 2 Presidents Trophy in the next 5 years?

Pick one - One #1 Overall Pick or 2 Presidents Trophy in the next 5 years?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So a genie comes to you and say you can pick between one of two things:

1. Your team will win a #1 overall draft pick, in the next 5 years (which year - this is random - it could mean McDavid or could mean Yakupov equivalent, or somewhere in between). This also doesn't necessarily mean you suck and tank, maybe you trade for a pick and get lucky.

2. Your team will win the president's trophy twice in the next 5 years. Again - random occurrence which 2 years. President Trophy doesn't guarantee a cup - but usually it means you're a strong contender, the rest being up to you.

Which option do you pick, and why?

Try and post what team you're choosing for, and your reasoning too if possible if that makes a difference

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd rather roll the dice for No 1 Pick. Sure you get a Yakupov type, or a lower end #1 like Hughes, but worth it in the chance you get a McDavid, Matthews type.

Prez Trophy is nice but kind of a curse at the same time.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Since a presidents trophy doesn't equal a cup (As we've seen in recent years), a guaranteed 1st overall instead makes more sense.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
If you win the prez that means you are already the contender you hope a No 1 pick leads to.

If you land the No. 1 it means you are going to need lots more to be a true contender.

Also have any No. 1 picks this decade become true contenders outside of the Avs?

Oilers, Sabres, Leafs, Devils, Panthers, etc are all either trash or have glaring holes they need to fix before they are a true contender

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
President's trophy comfortably imo, since the lockout 3 teams have won 2 presidents trophy's in the span of 5 years:

Detroit in 06 and 08 - they won the cup in 08
Vancouver in 11 and 12- they lost in game 7 of the final in 11
Washington in 16 and 17 - they won the cup in 18

Each case the teams were very well built and made it to within a game of winning the whole thing. 2 Presidents in 5 years mean you're a top tier contender

Reactions: Midnight Judges

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If you win the prez that means you are already the contender you hope a No 1 pick leads to.

If you land the No. 1 it means you are going to need lots more to be a true contender.

Also have any No. 1 picks this decade become true contenders outside of the Avs?

Oilers, Sabres, Leafs, Devils, Panthers, etc are all either trash or have glaring holes they need to fix before they are a true contender

The idea is to vote based on your team, more than in a vacuum. Shouldn't Tampa vote option 1?

I figure you guys are so good right now - you're likely going to win president trophies - or at least be a top contenders 2+ times in the next 5 years. Does a guarantee 2 president's trophies do anything at all for you?

With a first overall pick - at least you're probably guaranteed long-term future success as your core ages with a younger superstar to build around.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Depends on team situation. I don't think the current Canucks have a Stanley Cup in them, so would take the 1st overall pick.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Yakupov is more of an anomaly as 1st overall than anything.

McDavid is the gold standard but still plenty of legit superstars taken 1st in the last decade (MacKinnon, Matthews, Hall) and even mid level guys had players selected in the vicinity who are 1st overall talents (Ekblad-Draisaitl, RNH-Huberdeau).

I'd take the 1st and so would most GMs I imagine.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This is stupid. I mean, a Presidents' Trophy is success. Success, real success. That's what you want. Pole position heading into the playoffs.

When you have the #1 pick you only hope to one day get success. Exactly the kind of success the Presidents' Trophy represents. Contendership. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out and your top pick either flames out (Yakupov) / plateaus early (RNH) or reaches success long after you've let him go (Hall).

Winning the Presidents' Trophy means your team has made it into the big boys sand box. A #1 is nice but does not guarantee it.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
The idea is to vote based on your team, more than in a vacuum. Shouldn't Tampa vote option 1?

I figure you guys are so good right now - you're likely going to win president trophies - or at least be a top contenders 2+ times in the next 5 years. Does a guarantee 2 president's trophies do anything at all for you?

With a first overall pick - at least you're probably guaranteed long-term future success as your core ages with a younger superstar to build around.
I can't really decide until this offseason is over. If we lose lot of guys, then no. 1. Otherwise, prez trophies for sure

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
President's trophy means your team is cup contenders over the span of 5 years...1st overall means your team is the worst and near it. Only on HF would this be an actual question.

Literally was about to post the same thing. Winning a president’s trophy means you’re pretty damn close to a cup. Winning a first overall means you’re about 5 years from even thinking about one regardless of what this site would lead you to believe.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The #1 overall pick. You can be the 2015 Rangers who were pretty good but not super likely to win the cup despite winning the Presidents' trophy due to a lack of top end talent. A #1 overall pick is more likely to be top end talent.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If the pens win two presidents trophies over the next five years then they're certainly strong contenders over that time and I like their chances of winning another cup.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Crosby, 1st overall, 0 presidents trophies. 3 cups.

:dunno:
Crosby is a generational player.

No 1st overall since 2008 has a Cup or a Presidents' Trophy.

Question comes down to if you want a guaranteed good player, or a (double) guaranteed good team.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If Oilers win 2 presidents trophies in the next 5 years it means we finally got our shit together and built a team around McDrai. I’ll take that over another lottery ticket anyday.

Reactions: OmniSens

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
President's Trophy because it means we're consistently good enough to compete for Cups

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
My team already has three former first overall picks (two are under 30). Now f***ing win something!

The PT isn't the Cup, but I'd take one over a first overall pick and would gladly take two over a first overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad