Value of: Physical dman to Anaheim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That’s funny because every single insider said Chiarot is at least getting a first back at the trade deadline. It’s not borderline at all. He is getting one (unless he gets seriously injured) The real question is from who does Montreal gets it from
No insider can say that. Every insider might say that Montreal thinks they can get a first, but if they are guaranteeing a 1st for Chiarot, they are grasping at straws and looking for clicks. There would need to be a lot of things happen for Chairot to be one of the 3 or 4 players out there moved for a 1st this deadline. Remember, the most 1st round picks we have seen dealt in a single year of recent is 5. Is Chairot one of the 5 (or less) guys out there who is going to get a 1st this year? Is he going to go for a 1st instead of guys who could be moved if their teams falter (and no extension is agreed to) like Malkin, Giroux, Kessel, Letang, Pavelski, Giordano, Radulov, Forsberg, Hertl, Leddy, Ristolainen, Domi, Carter, Lindholm, Strome, Getzlaf, Klingberg, Manson, Rakell, Tierney, Rust, Fabbri, Korpisalo...I mean, there are an awful lot of guys out there who could be available. Guaranteeing a 1st is ridiculous until a deal is done. Could he have gotten a 1st last year when the trade market was smaller, and David Savard was basically the only top 4 defenseman available? Possibly. Will he this year? I'm not so certain. Keep in mind that this isn't a full list, as some teams have guys who are still looking in on the playoffs as of right now (with others listed sitting in the playoffs but may fall out). It just gives examples of the types of expiring contracts that are still out there.

Let's look at the teams who are probably in the position to trade a 1st this year.
Carolina - rumored to be looking at nearly everyone, but they probably don't need Chairot and would be looking at someone more dynamic.
Edmonton - still rumored to be looking for a depth D, but also for a #1 goalie and top six RW, so I can't see the 1st being used on a d-man.
Calgary - Sutter isn't one to screw around with chemistry with major acquisitions at the deadline. I'm not sure what Calgary adds going into the playoffs. Won't be in net, but if its a D, I would expect it could be someone with more offense to their game than Chairot. I don't think Treliving gives a 1st for a shut down D.
Minnesota - Guerin seems shrewd with his picks. I don't think he trades for an expiring contract this year.
Toronto - Would Dubas pull the trigger on a move for Chairot? Probably not with Reilly, Muzzin and Sandin on the left side. Not the biggest hole for the Leafs to fill.
Washington - Maybe, but kind of doubles up with the role Orlov fills.
Florida - Pretty solid D core already, I can't see them spending a 1st for a depth guy.
Tampa Bay - Chairot plays the wrong side for Tampa.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That’s funny because every single insider said Chiarot is at least getting a first back at the trade deadline. It’s not borderline at all. He is getting one (unless he gets seriously injured) The real question is from who does Montreal gets it from
This is a case of hearing what you want to hear. 1 insider Elliott Freidman, mentioned on the Jeff Marek show that Montreal could get a first for Chiarot. Several media outlets including The Hockey News, The Hockey Writers and NHL Trade Rumor wrote follow up articles where they reference the comment by Elliott Freidman. In fact most of those articles mention that a 1st would be the absolute best, but his value ranged from a 3rd round pick at the low end to a 1st from a contender. At no point was it "Every single insider" and at no point was it "at least a first".

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Jared Tinordi for a couple long shots, like Lopina and Bowen

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk... Lindholm/Benoit/Manson all play pretty physical... the issue really only exist when the mahura/shatt pairing exists.

Sure if we can find a hakanapaa/Fluery type move im all for it... but i dont exactly want to trade anyting of substance to "fix" that problem.

Oct 18, 2011
This...what happened to him? Getting older and not willing to play the same way that got him his current contract? Or body has taken a beating over the years and he no longer wants to be "the guy" to do that role all the time?
He has played pretty good this year but we need more than him back there. Teams are too easily able to set up guys right in front of our goalies

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Great, it won't be from a team like anaheim, it would be from a cup contender like I just said. Last year Tampa paid a first for savard because they had weak RHD depth, and he was the only option available at the deadline. This year, which cup contenders really need a LHD? Edmonton is the only one I can think of, but are they willing to give up a first? We'll see, because they could just wait for injuries to settle and grab a depth dmen for a lower pick rather than pay a first for Chiarot to sit behind Nurse and possibly Keith when the team is healthy.

Never said Montreal would fetch Anaheim’s first but that Chiarot will 100% fetch a first somewhere.

No insider can say that. Every insider might say that Montreal thinks they can get a first, but if they are guaranteeing a 1st for Chiarot, they are grasping at straws and looking for clicks. There would need to be a lot of things happen for Chairot to be one of the 3 or 4 players out there moved for a 1st this deadline. Remember, the most 1st round picks we have seen dealt in a single year of recent is 5. Is Chairot one of the 5 (or less) guys out there who is going to get a 1st this year? Is he going to go for a 1st instead of guys who could be moved if their teams falter (and no extension is agreed to) like Malkin, Giroux, Kessel, Letang, Pavelski, Giordano, Radulov, Forsberg, Hertl, Leddy, Ristolainen, Domi, Carter, Lindholm, Strome, Getzlaf, Klingberg, Manson, Rakell, Tierney, Rust, Fabbri, Korpisalo...I mean, there are an awful lot of guys out there who could be available. Guaranteeing a 1st is ridiculous until a deal is done. Could he have gotten a 1st last year when the trade market was smaller, and David Savard was basically the only top 4 defenseman available? Possibly. Will he this year? I'm not so certain. Keep in mind that this isn't a full list, as some teams have guys who are still looking in on the playoffs as of right now (with others listed sitting in the playoffs but may fall out). It just gives examples of the types of expiring contracts that are still out there.

Let's look at the teams who are probably in the position to trade a 1st this year.
Carolina - rumored to be looking at nearly everyone, but they probably don't need Chairot and would be looking at someone more dynamic.
Edmonton - still rumored to be looking for a depth D, but also for a #1 goalie and top six RW, so I can't see the 1st being used on a d-man.
Calgary - Sutter isn't one to screw around with chemistry with major acquisitions at the deadline. I'm not sure what Calgary adds going into the playoffs. Won't be in net, but if its a D, I would expect it could be someone with more offense to their game than Chairot. I don't think Treliving gives a 1st for a shut down D.
Minnesota - Guerin seems shrewd with his picks. I don't think he trades for an expiring contract this year.
Toronto - Would Dubas pull the trigger on a move for Chairot? Probably not with Reilly, Muzzin and Sandin on the left side. Not the biggest hole for the Leafs to fill.
Washington - Maybe, but kind of doubles up with the role Orlov fills.
Florida - Pretty solid D core already, I can't see them spending a 1st for a depth guy.
Tampa Bay - Chairot plays the wrong side for Tampa.

sure man.

Lebrun says that many contenders have #Habs Chiarot very high on their trade board. “He’s a guy who can absolutely fetch a 1st round pick.”

Insider Trading: Chiarot drawing interest from contenders

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I was glancing at teams that might sell and projecting that our new GM might not be able to keep Hampus but still want to keep contending to get some playoff experience. If we do trade Hampus for prospects, I really only see Connor Murphy or Romanov as decent plays. Connor brings some similarities to Hampus in terms of size/skating, more gritt, but less offensive production and I think he could be had for a small return like 3rd round pick. I’d rather have Romanov though as a longer term play and cheaper option. He hasn’t produced offensively yet but he’s like a Russian version of McAvoy defensively. He would cost more though… like Steel/Tracey + 2nd rounder.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Getting a top contender's 1st for Chiarot would be doing well, you aren't getting Anaheim's even with the strong start they've had.
i'm not sold on them being a top contender. i'm actually thinking there one team who could falter back

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Lmao what? Anaheim is still far from a guarenteed playoff team and can't be trading firsts. If you want a first for Chiarot it would be to an absolute cup contender. Even then it's borderline whether he's worth it or not.
ok you don't like the offer . will try again

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
A physical defenseman wont cut it if all he is good at is being physical. I don't think Ducks should be buyers because this team ain't guaranteed to be a playoff team.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Nathan Beaulieu for a 3rd in 2022 or 2023. He’ll hit, block shots and fight when needed.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Never said Montreal would fetch Anaheim’s first but that Chiarot will 100% fetch a first somewhere.

sure man.

Lebrun says that many contenders have #Habs Chiarot very high on their trade board. “He’s a guy who can absolutely fetch a 1st round pick.”

Insider Trading: Chiarot drawing interest from contenders
Ok. You believe Lebrun. I think he's wrong. I think it will he hilarious to see all the backpedaling and excuses when he goes for a 3rd and a depth prospect.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Team really struggles with guys in front of the net I think it's an area where they could improve without giving up a ton of assets for just curious who could be available
Tbh lately it seems like a coaching change with this net won't stuff.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ok. You believe Lebrun. I think he's wrong. I think it will he hilarious to see all the backpedaling and excuses when he goes for a 3rd and a depth prospect.

Lol! So Lebrun is wrong, Dreger is wrong, Friedman is wrong, Lavoie is wrong but you sir, are right. You know these are the guys that actually talk to GMs ok a daily basis right…?

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think the real need is to have someone to makeup for Shatternik's defensive deficiences/risk taking. NYR and TML, who did you guys pair with him, and more importantly, what type of defenseman works best with him?

We are assuming it's someone physical, but I actually think we need some who is mobile and can handle 2 on 1 situations well since Shatternik will take chances and leave his partner in awkward situations. I also think we need someone smart around the net since Shatternik's brain farts, usually leaves his partner in a bad situation there. You'll need someone who can clear the net and handle tight plays around there.

My point just clearing it isn't enough which is why Benoit and Mahura haven't worked out so far.

I do feel Shatternik's positives outweigh his negatives. He has made some keys plays leading to 5 on 5 and PP goals and shoot out goals. He has been a difference maker in a positive way more than a negative way, at leas this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad