Phoenix XLV: You can't YANDLE the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
.While I understand the Coase thereom, I do not understand how it could work here? I thought CoG has no ability to deal with this team between buyers like PKP?

Probably completely impractical.

I don't know how PKP could pay Glendale to go away without poisoning the well.

If he could, it would be to his advantage to do so.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
CoG should sit down the QC crew and offer to publicly pull the plug on the Coyotes in exchange for $25M, which would probably be quite a bit less than what QC would then save on the purchase price of a suddenly must-be-moved team.

Huh. You ever hear tell of this "Coase Theorem" thats got Mork all in a tither Jethro?.... Doesnt strike me that Gary & Bill would be welcoming a PKP or anyone else from anywhere else after an act like that. Love to see it though. I may have some work for Mork in the near future in Hamilton. Like the way that boy thinks...

RandR

May 15, 2011
Until the gig is finally up, we can continue to expect Beasley, Nealy, Bettman, Daly, etc. to remind us on a regular basis that they are all doing everything they can to keep the team in Phoenix.

And then when the gig is up, we can expect Beasley, Nealy, Bettman, Daly, etc. to remind us that they all did everything they could to keep the team in Phoenix.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Until the gig is finally up, we can continue to expect Beasley, Nealy, Bettman, Daly, etc. to remind us on a regular basis that they are all doing everything they can to keep the team in Phoenix.

And then when the gig is up, we can expect Beasley, Nealy, Bettman, Daly, etc. to remind us that they all did everything they could to keep the team in Phoenix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slldMEPvUqA

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What's the drop-dead date on the NHL saying "bye bye" and/or Glendale having to deposit another token into the slot machine?

Well, based on the last couple of years, Glendale has had to pledge the $25 million before the end of May. I suppose that might be the time frame again this year, since if they need to enact a "plan B" for relocation they couldn't start that process much later.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
For those keeping score at home I have been updating the Roman Numerals Opus post to keep track of all the Phoenix uThreads:

Even with all those, I'm surprised how quick this thread filled. If we somehow manage 70 posts by tomorrow (we've been averaging ~72 posts/day) - then this thread would have lasted TWO WEEKS :sarcasm:

Damn, I've got to think of another pithy intro.

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
For those keeping score at home I have been updating the Roman Numerals Opus post to keep track of all the Phoenix uThreads:

Even with all those, I'm surprised how quick this thread filled. If we somehow manage 70 posts by tomorrow (we've been averaging ~72 posts/day) - then this thread would have lasted TWO WEEKS :sarcasm:

I vote for, "No More Mr. Nobody."

Or, in the player play-on-words theme,

"The Golden Brule (The NHL has the gold and makes the Brules)."

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
C&P-ing a couple of posts from the Phoenix board ownership thread:

The Coyotes have not lacked for intense and loyal fans. Tickets for the playoffs, which start on Thursday, are all but sold out.

The season-ticket renewal pace -- for a team, mind you, that may not be here next season -- already has surpassed 82 percent. The team has, however, lacked support from the region's businesses, which haven't bought up luxury boxes like they have for the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Cardinals.

According to Nealy, the Coyotes' ratio of individual season-ticket holders to business-owned box seats is almost the inverse of what teams in other cities enjoy.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...coyotes-merit-more-support.html#ixzz1reUmv2xo

Should have been on the front page, not the opinion page.

Lisa Halverstadt
Glendale has called for a special closed-door session at 5 p.m. tomorrow so council members can get an update on Phoenix Coyotes negotiations.

Coyotes-related vote has not been scheduled at the regular council meeting that will follow at 7 p.m. Any vote would need to be posted at least 24 hours in advance.

Do you consider the last-minute meeting a good or bad sign for Glendale?

Here’s where you can view agendas for upcoming Glendale council meetings. This includes regular meetings, workshops and executive sessions.

http://glendaleaz.com/clerk/agendasandminutes/

To add to the article (via her twitter account):
@LisaHalverstadt:#Glendale City Manager Ed Beasley: #Coyotes deal or deals likely to go public very soon.

@LisaHalverstadt: Beasley also confirmed that ex-San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison was in town yesterday working on #Coyotes deal.

@LisaHalverstadt: He said a second mystery group is talking to #Glendale about a deal too. #Coyotes

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

I admire your determination and thoroughness. I thought LS would have thrown you off the scent by now.

99 bottles of beer on the wall.....

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
@JTreliving twitter:

I want to be clear that I am not currently involved in any plan to buy the Coyotes and I do not have any information about their future.

Nothing much to add, but that should dispell the wacky rumour that he's part of the second mystery group. Or is he?! :amazed:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

@JTreliving twitter:

Nothing much to add, but that should dispell the wacky rumour that he's part of the second mystery group. Or is he?! :amazed:

As I wrote in the Phoenix Forum...

The one reason I doubt Jim Treliving will buy the Coyotes and keep them in AZ...

There are a lot of Boston Pizza's in Quebec. Far more that in AZ. Saving the Coyotes would be a public relation's nightmare and hurt sales in La Belle Province. I doubt he is willing to burn that bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is one! Bob McCown has confirmed to a radio of Quebec that the deadline is April 15, 2012. His source : Bill Daly himself!

http://rms.radiox.com/player/radiox3/default.aspx?extraitid=98853&spc=CHOI

At the 15h59 min mark

Deadline for what?

The COG mayor and council haven't even considered an MOU or lease proposal as yet, and certainly couldn't approve anything by April 15.

I suppose that there could be a deadline to commit to an "arena management fee" for the 2012-13 season.

It will be interesting to see if anything emerges from the Glendale city council's Executive Session that was scheduled for today.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I was trying to keep my posts limited to our board. Didnt want to bum the other side out;)

No probs, bud. We all like to see what's on your mind.

Jamison AND the "mystery buyer" both in town? Woot woot! Will they drop by City Hall like Mr. Hulsizer did?

Incognito for Mr. M, of course!

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The flies in the ointment are twofold: first, the remote possibility that there really is a purchaser prepared to keep the team in Glendale at a price the NHL will accept (which I completely discount, but others with equally valid opinions may choose to accept); and second, the very real likelihood that if the NHL catches PKP dealing with Glendale in this way all deals will be off the Prince will find himself with a newly built arena but no NHL team (until Jim Balsillie gets one first, which effectively means never).
Doing stuff behind the league's back is obviously a no-no. A better idea... PKP approaches Gary Bettman (or visa versa) with the following deal... PKP pays the NHL $170 million, and Glendale $50 million, in return for Glendale agreeing not to sue the NHL. The benefits...
  • politicos in Glendale can claim they didn't lose any money on the "arena management" deal
  • GWI has one less item to sue over
  • the NHL mitigates their bad PR
  • the NHL avoids a potential lawsuit from COG
  • PKP has a hockey team

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I don't think so.

In this century, there is so much info, stories, news, that this NHL bad reputation will not last very long and you will find plenty of cities ready to go for a franchise tomorrow morning.

A potential lawsuit? Based on what? On the fact the league did not find a buyer despite putting megabucks in the franchise's operation in Glendale?

Unless things I am not aware of, there is no lawsuit possible against the NHL.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Doing stuff behind the league's back is obviously a no-no. A better idea... PKP approaches Gary Bettman (or visa versa) with the following deal... PKP pays the NHL $170 million, and Glendale $50 million, in return for Glendale agreeing not to sue the NHL. The benefits...
  • politicos in Glendale can claim they didn't lose any money on the "arena management" deal
  • GWI has one less item to sue over
  • the NHL mitigates their bad PR
  • the NHL avoids a potential lawsuit from COG
  • PKP has a hockey team

You're right on that PKP could not collaborate with COG without getting a game misconduct or more from the NHL.

I just can't picture the NHL letting go of any money either. I don't think they care who sues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad