Phoenix CVI: It's good to talk these things out

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I dunno.... Glendale saved what..... iif remains the same at current rate $1.5M per year over the next two years? If IA manages to kick butt the next two years (I know... I'm stretching it ;) ), then Glendale gave up even more. Global is now free to compete for non-hockey events that don't have a ticket surcharge stuck to them, which is what they wanted way back in the beginning.

I wouldn't exactly call it a butt whoopin', but since we won't get to see the dirty deposition details we can always cling to our own beliefs. :)

Prior to 38-511 action:
- $15MM AMF per year x 15 years = $225MM

After 38-511 action:
- one year of AMF $6.5, then replaced as arena manager = $6.5MM

You sure it's me clinging to beliefs?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JMO, but I can see LeBlanc offering to accept less AMF since he's about to get ~$33MM in the form of expansion fees. This will more than offset the reduced AMF.... And if they decide to move the team in two years, even better for IA.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm still not there yet that after the 2017 expiration that the moving trucks cross State (or International) lines. I'll have my eyes trained on the developments SE of Glendale over the next 18 months for clues (or finalization) on that.

Never say never, but there is a 98% chance that there will be no downtown option for the Coyotes in two years, and a 99.99999% chance that if they DID have one, it would be so draconian that relocation would be the cheaper option.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Bettman wants to move this team next year he will, if he doesn't need to until 2 years then he can do that too. All signs point towards a relocation....

It appears the team can't leave after one season. They're also potentially indentured servants for Glendale in 16-17.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It would appear that Glendale handed the Coyotes their ass on a silver platter. I guess that's what happens when you have no leverage. But, wait.... TeamTony was never going to renegotiate a new deal.

"There is one major problem. The Coyotes will not renegotiate the deal." - Craig Morgan

Where's Cobra? Was one year at $6.5MM then replaced as arena manager the "bone" that IA threw to Glendale :laugh:

GF

Nov 4, 2012
So a one year lease but city has an option to keep the Clowns in place for another year. :laugh:

The CoG gains exactly what by doing this? They get to lose 6,5m$ or 13m$ depending on what they chose come april 2016.

IA can now sell in a year or two, saving a minimum of one year before opting out. Sure it will cost them some money for the next two years, but the NHL will provide the funds. They'll bank on a relocation in two years top.

Sounds like the NHL won, they shoveled this mess forward another year or two, time enough to find a suitable venue. They also avoided D&D and court hearings.

Sounds to me that Bettman got what he wanted, again. This weasel is a mastermind in deception.

:handclap:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
It appears the team can't leave after one season. They're also potentially indentured servants for Glendale in 16-17.

Ok, so I was wrong earlier. If there is a new arena manager for 16-17, they would have to take the Coyotes as a tenant for one year. I guess they could negotiate rent and anything else then.

habsinottawa

May 9, 2011
"There is one major problem. The Coyotes will not renegotiate the deal." - Craig Morgan

Where's Cobra? Was one year at $6.5MM then replaced as arena manager the "bone" that IA threw to Glendale :laugh:

I totally forgot about that. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Never say never, but there is a 98% chance that there will be no downtown option for the Coyotes in two years, and a 99.99999% chance that if they DID have one, it would be so draconian that relocation would be the cheaper option.

Agreed. I won't lie, your percentages are in line with where I'm at, currently. But if everything in the past 7 years has taught me anything, it is the sum of zero or 100% = absolution ;)

Like I said, the developments regarding the Suns and where they get with the City of Phoenix in the next 18 months will unequivocally foreshadow what's to come, in my opinion. I know you know, but in case its misinterpreted by others, the Suns can't get anything going until 2019 at the earliest. But like it was mentioned a few days back, and invoking Dr. Ian Malcolm

life_finds_a_way_jurassic_park.gif

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The other key provision is that Glendale can replace the Arena Manager anytime after June 30, 2016 upon 90 days written notice.

Here's the quick breakdown:

- 2 Year Lease thru 6/30/17
- $6.5MM AMF per year
- Arena Manager keeps all revenue (no more city surcharges, parking, etc)
- However, Glendale can replace IA with new Arena Manager after 6/30/16
- Tindall gets fired

Council will no doubt approve this tomorrow.

Where did you read that?

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
It would appear that Glendale handed the Coyotes their ass on a silver platter. I guess that's what happens when you have no leverage. But, wait.... TeamTony was never going to renegotiate a new deal.

I see it as the opposite. Yeah, IceArizona lost their cushy original deal, but if I understand the terms correctly, IceArizona is still making out like relative bandits here. They get a little under half of the original AMF for 1 year, get 1 year of stability with the arena situation, giving them/the league 1 year to line up a buyer for relocation and they get to still manage the arena with no real penalty (besides losing the arena management gig for year 2). In that year, Glendale gets nothing monetarily from the Coyotes games as IceArizona gets to keep the revenue. IceArizona gets the short-term stability they leave and they get to bolt and if they really need 2 years to find an owner, wait for Seattle to get its arena lined up for construction, they get that too. I can't see how the AMF opponents vote for this. Trial goes ahead, if they are confident in their case, the lease is over and they lose no more money. They vote on this, they lose $6.5M more and that's it.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Prior to 38-511 action:
- $15MM AMF per year x 15 years = $225MM

After 38-511 action:
- one year of AMF $6.5, then replaced as arena manager = $6.5MM

You sure it's me clinging to beliefs?

No.... but you obscured the fact that out of the $15M per year Glendale paid to IA, they got roughly $7-8M of it back. So if you're looking at what it was actually costing Glendale...

Before:

Net $8.5M (I'll be conservative here) AMF per year x 15 years = $127.5M (with possibility the net figure goes down if IA performs better)

After:

- Two years at $6.5M fixed.... (revenue streams that could lower the amount now gone, but with possibility that Glendale replace IA as AM after one)

Considering that many posters have clung to the belief that the arena could be operated for MUCH less than $6.5M, yeah.... depends on what you want to believe.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So to the casual fan, this would maybe have the right appearance to avoid a lame duck season? To me, I would still avoid full investment in this team if I were a fan in the area.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
No.... but you obscured the fact that out of the $15M per year Glendale paid to IA, they got roughly $7-8M of it back. So if you're looking at what it was actually costing Glendale...

Before:

Net $8.5M (I'll be conservative here) AMF per year x 15 years = $127.5M (with possibility the net figure goes down if IA performs better)

After:

- Two years at $6.5M fixed.... (revenue streams that could lower the amount now gone, but with possibility that Glendale replace IA as AM after one)

Considering that many posters have clung to the belief that the arena could be operated for MUCH less than $6.5M, yeah.... depends on what you want to believe.

I didn't obscure anything. If you see this as a victory for IA, that's cool with me. I'm sticking with my assessment that IA just got curb stomped due to LeBlanc being pretty much the worst CEO ever.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Two years (at best) of "I told you so" and assorted grave-dancing is going to be rough.

You never know. Survive or die is a major motivation to many people and organizations. IA may actually manage to pull it out if they're working without a safety net, fear is a poor motivator for exceptional work, but exceptional things are often accomplished when motivated by fear.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
So to the casual fan, this would maybe have the right appearance to avoid a lame duck season? To me, I would still avoid full investment in this team if I were a fan in the area.

I think that's a very astute observation. I hadn't even thought of it but yes, if you wanted to avoid telegraphing a lame duck year, making it a two year lease would be a savvy way of doing that. I'm not sure that was the city's true intent but it seems beneficial

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
IA probably figured out they could live with 6.5M for 2 years since they will be getting 33M from QC and LV before selling/moving

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where there's a "Bettman" there's a way.

That's cute and all, but it's pretty clear that they can't leave unless the city agrees to mutually terminate early for some reason.

You never know. Survive or die is a major motivation to many people and organizations. IA may actually manage to pull it out if they're working without a safety net, fear is a poor motivator for exceptional work, but exceptional things are often accomplished when motivated by fear.

You are making the assumption that IA gives a **** about Arizona and staying in this market. That was never clear with the original deal and it's even less clear with this deal.

It's not a safe assumption.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
Monica Lindstrom ‏@monicalindstrom 3m3 minutes ago

As part of the settlement btw @arizonacoyotes #Glendale #Tindal is no longer part of the Coyotes @AZSports @Ktar923
0 retweets 0 favorites

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

That's only if survival is the endgame.

Remember the Thrashers? Remember how quickly and smoothly they turned into the Jets? That's the vibe I'm getting from this deal. The NHL met with Ray Bartosek earlier this week and Bill Daly denied it had anything to do with expansion. Not sure how many more dots need to be connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad