Phoenix Coyotes 2013 draft preview

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

For the first time in four seasons, the Phoenix Coyotes missed the playoffs. After having their most successful postseason in franchise history, the Coyotes struggled to string wins together until it was too late. With a slew of young defensemen looking to make the jump to the next level, the Coyotes are in a position where a good forward can fall right into their laps at the 12th pick.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Would've liked a little more info on Rick Knickle's drafting tendencies, since this will only be his 2nd draft with him, and I'm not super clear on his philosophy.

I hadn't really thought about our poor luck with high draft NCAA players. If you count Connor Murphy, that really is bad luck. We should probably steer clear in the 1st round from those types.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Tendencies aren't worth much. With such a small sample size and so many other mitigating factors contributing to each pick, it's hard to clean any relevant data from even a ten-year draft history. Short of actual quotes along the lines of "I don't draft goalies in the first round" or "I won't draft Russian players after the second round," I wouldn't put much stock in them, and even then, you have to be wary of smokescreens and gamesmanship.

As far as which league to draft from, it's a player-by-player case, but the Wheeler and Turris cases are both unique. With Wheeler, he exploited a loophole with which we're all now very familiar. Turris was just rushed. Had he spent an extra year or two at Wisconsin, he could have been much readier for bigger minutes, and he never would have had his little fit in the first place. That said, there aren't a ton of NCAA-bound guys projected for the first round and certainly none in the Coyotes' range, so this may be a moot point barring a big trade down.

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
Would've liked a little more info on Rick Knickle's drafting tendencies, since this will only be his 2nd draft with him, and I'm not super clear on his philosophy.

I hadn't really thought about our poor luck with high draft NCAA players. If you count Connor Murphy, that really is bad luck. We should probably steer clear in the 1st round from those types.

there is a series on the yotes homepage of vest talking to knickle about the draft. it was ok but he did say that he evals over long periods of time, since every player has good and bad games. he also asks them to tell him who they think they are and works on getting them to recognize what roles they will be best suited for and how to develop into a NHLer.
http://video.coyotes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=579&id=261027&lang=en&navid=DL|PHX|home

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I wish they wouldnt do videos for what are the most interesting topics. They have a boring "Coyotes to pick 12th" article when it's what Vest says that is the most interesting. Just seems like laziness - easier to make a video than write an article.

Nice article for HF - however for completeness, should probably have put on what draft picks the Coyotes actually have? I know it's widely available elsewhere but HF is my first stop for draft information and was expecting to see that there, rather than a list of top 10 prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad