Phillip Broberg

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Because they think they can get a better player than Broberg at the deadline. If they matched any move at the deadline would have to be dollar in dollar out. Not matching they gained the cap flexibility to gain a top 4 right D without moving anyone out and an extra 2nd round pick to get that player.

It’s a move to win now not in 3 years. Losing these guys will sting even harder in 2-3 years.
I have to say that I think a team relying on trade deadline trades to win the cup is an incorrect strategy. And maybe it will win the them the cup. But ironically since you said it's a win now move, it would pay off after this season. I don't think inserting a player into the lineup like that is enough time get the team to function at the high level they need to win the cup.

Reactions: Peasy

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
Broberg wanted out for awhile. The bigger mistake was letting it get to the point of an offersheet in the first place.

The Oilers should have either given him a chance over Kulak or traded him at the deadline/draft.
I think this is pretty bang on. Maybe the Oilers did right in letting him develop, but they did it backwards as he should have started in the AHL and then brought up when his confidence was high (they did vice versa and Broberg thought he was "a NHL defenseman" when he was sent down, if i remember correctly that is what he said).

Broberg has always had the tools and we shall see how his year plays out but he is looking great now. The Oilers left a chance for the 2 to be offer sheeted as they did not take care of their own before signing in free agency. I do think the Oilers are a very good team and one of the elite teams in the NHL but are weaker on the backend and Skinner is playing himself off team Canada. Season is still early though!!!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
It's a long season let's see how Broberg holds up

If Oilers offerred him 2 million for a year I think they would have avoided this offersheet.

Rumors of the offers given to RFAs was really low and forced the players to look elsewhere. Broberg in 5 games though has looked great.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Fools errand. You guys got really lucky with the Ekholm deal, those deals do not come up very often. Leafs got Muzzin similarly and looked for another one for years. Usually they are expiring vet dman, not guys with some term and a few years of high end play left.

Basically you put yourself in a spot where you need to beat other teams for the best available guy (even if he is not great) because it is still better than what you have. That is how you end up making terrible trades we see in NHL history like firsts for 4th liners / bottom pairing dmen
I'd add, Ekholm will be 35 in May......but, as most know, TD deals can patch over gaps.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Congrats to St. Louis if one of those two contracts works out but I would rather the Oilers have options at the deadline then risk paying unproven Broberg and Holloway 6.7 million a season based on what they have done.

To be fair maybe Broberg could have been given more opportunity on the Oilers but whenever he did play previously he never really added anything to the lineup. He was not showing much ability to excel in any particular area, he appeared very average in most aspects of the game. Even the brilliant minds on here claimed for years that it was a bad draft pick and he was a bust, likely the same people now claiming St. Louis is brilliant. He finally showed a spark and some energy in his game during the playoffs, that was actually the first time he made a push and earned more ice time based on his performance. By that point unfortunately for the Oilers it was too late and Broberg and his agent had no incentive to sign a contract extension without waiting first to see what opportunities existed and luckily for him there was a team willing to make a risky contract offer. If it works out it is good for St. Louis but no Cup contender is handing out 6.7 million to guys who played a combined 50 games and had 11 points, that would be moronic. It is also too early to come to any conclusions. Hollloway only has 1 point in 5 games so far, so is that now considered an awful contract? No, It's way to early to judge.

The Oilers in a perfect world need a right shot d-man that is better defensively and maybe a little more physical then what Broberg offers so we will see what they end up acquiring this season. If Broberg had showed a bit more earlier on in the opportunities he did get, the Oilers would have been more aggressive in resigning him in the first place and maybe the Oilers could have handled him differently, same with Holloway. No grudge against those players for taking the offers, but I also don't blame the Oilers for not matching.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Brett Kulak has more goals than Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews right now. The Avs are tied for the worst record in the league. Which is just to say 5 games isn't a big sample size.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This move will cost the Oilers and McDrai a chance at the cup.

How in the f*** do you ship out Codi Ceci to signify a match, make room to fit Broberg, and then still don't match?? Especially when your D corps is already trash as it is.

Inexplicable mismanagement.
They had other priorities like jeff skinner and arvidson and podkolzin 🤣

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I supported Broberg while other Oilers fans wrote him off BUT that contract he signed is gross. Like Kotkaniemi gross.

It's only a two year deal for #4D money. A level he's currently playing well above.

This is all with hindsight, I was on the fence about whether the Oilers should match, but currently it looks like they made the wrong choice.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The blue line that was 1 game away from winning the cup just last year? (Minus Ceci and Broberg)

Are you arguing the Oilers can't improve on that with a trade (or two)?
Do they have cap space and can you find another Ekholm?? They were lucky to get Ekholm at TDL but there is no Ekholm tree to pick another Ekholm for cheap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do they have cap space and can you find another Ekholm?? They were lucky to get Ekholm at TDL but there is no Ekholm tree to pick another Ekholm for cheap.

The whole point of acruing cap space is that they will have 4 million in cap space just from that by the deadline and another 5 million from Kane's LTIR if he's done for the regular season.

They'll have the cap room.

They don't need another Ekholm, that was a slam dunk deal, just need another solid guy. Anyone better than Cody Ceci and they'll have a better blue line going into the previous playoffs.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I guess my point is, that will be the price but the quality of the "top 4 D" will vary each year. It was lucky that one year there was an elite one. Usually there isn't, and you pay that price for a guy who isn't very good because other teams were in and you had to do something in your all in year

Either that or you settle for a depth 3rd pairing type for like a mid round pick. Last year a 3rd got you a Lyubushkin. But does that kind of move is more for depth/insurance than to fix an actual issue.

Maybe someone better becomes available ... but you're going to have a lot of teams interested, and the price on that will be high in picks and prospects, especially if it's a legit top 4 involving retention or a cap dump.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Broberg's xGF% is worse than Darnell Nurse's... let's maybe pump the breaks a bit on the "top 4 defenseman" narrative. He would not have his 1.075 PDO in Edmonton.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Oilers have to plan for two of the best players on earth. Stl put them to a tough choice and Edm chose space for the future because it’s the priority. Well played by Stl but clowning Edm for it doesn’t make sense. It’s a fair choice to save the money, cap space is gold. Not trading Broberg earlier was an obvious choice, you need defense in the playoffs and he played a role in their run.

I feel people bagging on the Oilers are just people who like bagging on the Oilers.

Reactions: Jean Ralphio

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

They will have space to fit in 4.5M at the deadline (9M @ 50%). They will also have an extra 5M if Kane remains on LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad