OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What do Philly fans think of Schilling snub?

IMO he should have been in years ago and the reality is with Halladay getting in its a further indictment on writers keeping him out

Do Philly fans still have fond memories of Schilling especially that 93 run?

Him & Walker are probably looking good for next year given this class, next year’s, & their votes this year I’d imagine.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

IMO he should have been in years ago and the reality is with Halladay getting in its a further indictment on writers keeping him out

As awesome as he was as a Phillie, I strongly dislike him as a person.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really take HoF selections in any sport really that serious. I disagree with things but it doesn’t really bother me regardless if I like the player or not. I laugh at how some of these guys take things so serious especially the baseball guys as well as some of the really stupid shit they do (like two people voting for Polanco today) but that is it. I think Schilling should be in & will eventually get in (perhaps next year?) so it is what it is.

When it comes to personal things you can point to a bad person in every HoF & for baseball there’s guys in there that took steroids just as there is with football even though it’s not as much of a taboo thing for that sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotusflower

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
As awesome as he was as a Phillie, I strongly dislike him as a person.

Don't care for his personality or his politics but he was arguably the best (or at least top 2-3) big game pitcher of his generation. I've always viewed him as a borderline HOF candidate but I think his playoff record will eventually put him in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Don't care for his personality or his politics but he was arguably the best (or at least top 2-3) big game pitcher of his generation. I've always viewed him as a borderline HOF candidate but I think his playoff record will eventually put him in.

Yeah he probably deserves to get in soon.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I don't think it is a snub. His regular season play is not HOF worthy in my opinion. He jad a handful of really good seasons sprinkled throughout the 20 years he played. Most of his career though he was good or just ok. Post season he was absolutely lights out so if he gets in that is the reason. Not very many guys I'd rather have out there other needing a win in a playoff game besides him, but if I'm making a rotation of the best pitchers from the early 90s to when he retired he is probably not even in my top 20 (forget about all time).

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I don't think it is a snub. His regular season play is not HOF worthy in my opinion. He jad a handful of really good seasons sprinkled throughout the 20 years he played. Most of his career though he was good or just ok. Post season he was absolutely lights out so if he gets in that is the reason. Not very many guys I'd rather have out there other needing a win in a playoff game besides him, but if I'm making a rotation of the best pitchers from the early 90s to when he retired he is probably not even in my top 20 (forget about all time).

He was excellent with Arizona and Boston.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah no doubt he was a good hitter. I'm not saying he wasn't. I just don't see the HOF numbers. Did a lot of things well but nothing great. Won two batting titles which is impressive but that doesn't get you into the HOF. And he walked a lot. He was consistent, but for me that doesn't get you into the HOF.

I'm only half serious about the Juan Pierre thing, but look at their numbers. Edgar had more HRs and a higher BA/OBP numbers. Juan Pierre had 600+ stolen bases, played well in the field, had almost the same hits in far fewer games. Struck out literally half as much (less actually!). He put the ball in play more. He got zero votes. Now, I honestly don't believe Juan Pierre is a HOFer, but if Edgar is in Pierre is at least in the conversation.

You’re the sum of your parts. There’s no standard by which you have to be overwhelmingly great in one particular area.

No, they’re really not remotely comparable. Juan Pierre was downright putrid at the plate and his defensive coverage was a lot more spotty than you might think. He was excellent for a handful of years (2001-2006ish) and then that guy was completely gone. Yes, he played a generally valuable defensive position until late in his career, but not particularly well outside of the peak. Pierre cracked a .337 or higher wOBA twice. Twice! His best year by fWAR would be Martinez’s 11th best and that’s with the penalty for not playing defense. They’re not even apples and oranges. They’re apples and elephants.

Edgar Martinez is a guy you can comp to Manny Ramirez at the plate from a pure value standpoint and not be completely out of line even if I would take Manny.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He was excellent with Arizona and Boston.
Sure for the most part, but again not HOF worthy. I mean what gets you in the HOF? The HOF is best of all time to ever play the game. Are you going to even rank him in the top 25 from his time starting in Philly to retirement (we'll forget Baltimore since he wasn't putting up any impressive numbers and that should make it easier to wedge him in)? And I am talking about regular season not playoffs.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

schill finished 2nd in cy young 3 times twice to historically good modern season by Randy Johnson, and another to The best pitcher in the game at the time in Santana. He Is about as big of a lock for the hall of fame, and then you factor in he is probably the 2nd greatest postseason pitcher of all time behind Baumgardner and its really a lock. Him testifying at that congressional hearing is what has held him back, and then on top of that all this other nonsense.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Roy Halladay is a HOF with
203-105
67 CG
20 Shutouts
3.38 ERA
2,117 K's
1.178 WHIP
64.3 WAR

While Curt Schilling is not a HOF with
216-146
83 CG
20 Shutouts
3.46 ERA
3,116 K's
1.137 WHIP
79.6 WAR

Schilling was also dominant in playoffs

11-2
2.23 ERA
4 CG
2 Shutouts
120 K's
.968 WHIP

1993 NLCS MVP
2001 WS MVP

Saying Schilling regular season play was not good enough is a bit of a reach. And his playoff domination cant be denied

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
How sick are Philly fans of the Machado/Harper nonsense at this point?

As a White Sox fan this endless saga sucks and I wish they would end this already
I was constantly checking for updates but now I just have literally stopped caring about either. Once they sign I’ll react but it’s just gone on far too long.

Reactions: trostol

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011

As a White Sox fan this endless saga sucks and I wish they would end this already
Neither wants to sign first cause the other will get a better offer. They gonna sign the week training camp opens.

Reactions: Jtown

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I had the flyers Stanley Cup game off. Instead I was watching Doc's perfect game. I was running circles around the couch for the last 9 hours. Had to keep the mojo going somehow.

Driving to hockey practice with Dad during his no hitter against the Reds. He walked Jay Bruce in like the 4th inning and we both jokingly "lost it". JESUS. THERE GOES HIS PERFECT GAME. WHAT A BUM. Ended up as the only baserunner. There really went his perfect game. Watched the final half inning with Dad in the warm room at the rink, only us and the rink owner were left, but he wasn't watching. We were sitting at this little table and dad jumped up and knocked it over after chooch made that sneaky good play.

The day he died I was coming home from a late day at work. Brother texted me. I called bs and he sent the link. I held out hope for a few hours at least, because it originally said "presumed to be". News broke it was confirmed and I cried for a minute or 2.

Wore my Halladay shirt and no scrub top to the pharmacy the next day. It was the first name/number shirt I bought for myself- all the other ones I'd just wait for Christmas or my birthday or get one at a game where my parents would pay.

I loved Doc, man. Really was a role model for me. Well deserved.

Reactions: ajw12

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
203-105
67 CG
20 Shutouts
3.38 ERA
2,117 K's
1.178 WHIP
64.3 WAR

216-146
83 CG
20 Shutouts
3.46 ERA
3,116 K's
1.137 WHIP
79.6 WAR

11-2
2.23 ERA
4 CG
2 Shutouts
120 K's
.968 WHIP

1993 NLCS MVP
2001 WS MVP

Saying Schilling regular season play was not good enough is a bit of a reach. And his playoff domination cant be denied

Check out Halladay's 2001-2011 and Schilling's 1995-2005. Halladay has almost a full season pitched and -2.5K/9 in his 10 year sample relative to Schilling's. Other than that, pretty damn similar results.

Nice comparison, actually.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018

With the NFL playoffs, there's been a lull in MLB buzz. Not sure if the events are correlated.

These contracts aren't very appealing, so I'm not surprised. If Machado and Harper knew what the UFA situation would've looked like this, they'd have signed extensions 2 years ago

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
203-105
67 CG
20 Shutouts
3.38 ERA
2,117 K's
1.178 WHIP
64.3 WAR

216-146
83 CG
20 Shutouts
3.46 ERA
3,116 K's
1.137 WHIP
79.6 WAR

11-2
2.23 ERA
4 CG
2 Shutouts
120 K's
.968 WHIP

1993 NLCS MVP
2001 WS MVP

But if you look at their careers, Halladay was pretty much dominant from the jump. Once he was a regular starter he was basically a shut down threat until his last season when the injuries or illness or whatever it was got to him. Curt Schilling was good most of his career and towards the end he was great for two seasons in AZ and one in Boston. His playoff dominance is not denied, that's why I said if he gets in it will be because of his post season play, not his regular season play. When I look at the HOF it is supposed to be the greatest of all time. I'm sorry but Curt Schilling is not on that list. He was very good. for stretches he was one of the best at the time. But I don't think he was one of the greatest of all time. And yes there are a slew of guys in the HOF with comparable stats or worse stats or who played less or whatever, and there are plenty of guys I wouldn't vote for that are in, but I don't think that we should continually lower the bar to include everyone. If you have to argue a guy's case, he probably shouldn't be there. If Curt Schilling gets in I won't be mad, I just wouldn't vote for him. I see the arguments, I just don't agree with them.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
But if you look at their careers, Halladay was pretty much dominant from the jump. Once he was a regular starter he was basically a shut down threat until his last season when the injuries or illness or whatever it was got to him. Curt Schilling was good most of his career and towards the end he was great for two seasons in AZ and one in Boston. His playoff dominance is not denied, that's why I said if he gets in it will be because of his post season play, not his regular season play. When I look at the HOF it is supposed to be the greatest of all time. I'm sorry but Curt Schilling is not on that list. He was very good. for stretches he was one of the best at the time. But I don't think he was one of the greatest of all time. And yes there are a slew of guys in the HOF with comparable stats or worse stats or who played less or whatever, and there are plenty of guys I wouldn't vote for that are in, but I don't think that we should continually lower the bar to include everyone. If you have to argue a guy's case, he probably shouldn't be there. If Curt Schilling gets in I won't be mad, I just wouldn't vote for him. I see the arguments, I just don't agree with them.

They both had ~10 continuous seasons in which they’re consistently great. Halladay: 2001-2011, Schilling: 1995-2004.

Schilling had a couple more good to great seasons sprinkled in and one of the greatest postseason performances of all time in 2001. The guy was a freak of an innings eater. In 2001, he ended up with over 300 innings pitched including regular and post season play. Followed up in 2002 with 260+.

Schilling absolutely meets the criteria for the HoF

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They both had ~10 continuous seasons in which they’re consistently great. Halladay: 2001-2011, Schilling: 1995-2004.

Schilling had a couple more good to great seasons sprinkled in and one of the greatest postseason performances of all time in 2001. The guy was a freak of an innings eater. In 2001, he ended up with over 300 innings pitched including regular and post season play. Followed up in 2002 with 260+.

Schilling absolutely meets the criteria for the HoF
What stat lines are you looking at to come to that conclusion? Nothing great about 95 or 96. 97 and 98 no question those are definitely two of his best years. 99 also a very good season, but I don't think I would call that great. 2000 was not a great season. 2001 and 2002, yup great. 2003, very good but not HOF numbers. 2004, aside from getting 20+ wins his numbers again are not what I would consider "great." He was a very good pitcher for most of his career and had very high highs for a handful of seasons. But there is nothing you can say to convince me that from 1995-2004 he was consistently great.
Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 9.06.06 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad