Value of: Philippe Myers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I can't tell if Philly is great at ruining defensemen or is great at making defensemen look better than they are. I remember how high Flyer's fans were on Myers.

Feel like all Myers, Gostibehere, and Sanheim looked like they'd develop into top 4 roles sooner than later, but then they all just stagnated, regressed, or developed slower than anticipated. Add on Morin and Hagg... and that's a lot of draft capital and potential that really hasn't panned out.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't tell if Philly is great at ruining defensemen or is great at making defensemen look better than they are. I remember how high Flyer's fans were on Myers.

Feel like all Myers, Gostibehere, and Sanheim looked like they'd develop into top 4 roles sooner than later, but then they all just stagnated, regressed, or developed slower than anticipated. Add on Morin and Hagg... and that's a lot of draft capital and potential that really hasn't panned out.

Myers was very good in his first full season (19-20) and pretty bad in his second (20-21) after Niskanen retired and he was asked to take on a bigger role. I still think there's potential there. Keep in mind he was Undrafted, so no draft capital there.

Sanheim is one of the Flyers top dmen currently.

Ghost, a 3rd round pick mind you, had some great years here (especially 15-16 and 17-18) but knee injuries and morons behind the bench altered his career as a Flyer.

Morin is a bust due to a million injuries.

Hagg just always sucked.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I still don't think we know if Myers is "out of favor" or if he just has an injury. Something is broken on his face. He has been wearing a cage all year since the start of camp. Preds may just feel that there's no real need to rush him back wearing a cage if they've got Benning playing ok as the alternative 3rd pair option. Let Myers heal up, then see what he's got. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
After like 5 games? Way to push the panic button lol
Luckily no one in Nashville is panicked. He's essentially battling Benning for a spot and he hasn't played that bad. Plus the team kind of got themselves in gear so Hynes is choosing to leave things alone for now.

Plus as tight lipped as our management is and the guys covering the team stink so bad he could be injured and we would never know it.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont

I'm a Flyers fan and I'm also trying to figure this out.

Ghost - I think the Flyers broke him by expecting him to be defensively responsible lol. Just let the guy be a 50+pt D and anchor him with a boring stay at home D. He should be a top 4 D.

Morin - he broke himself, literally and unfortunately

Hagg - Flyers did a good job propping up his perception or at least Hakstol did

Sanheim - was expected to be a "first class" 2nd pairing D or a complimentary 1st pairing D, not really
there yet. I think the Flyers coaching/development are responsible.

Provorov - I think he's where he should be, hype had him as a clear #1. I'm not saying he's going to be Hedman, but compare their first 5yrs in the league and Provo is on par. Still room to improve and be that #1.

Myers - still TBD but below expectations, I don't think the Flyers broke him. Also not a draftee so hype should have been subdued, it was not.

Next up: Cam York and undrafted Zamula

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Luckily no one in Nashville is panicked. He's essentially battling Benning for a spot and he hasn't played that bad. Plus the team kind of got themselves in gear so Hynes is choosing to leave things alone for now.

Plus as tight lipped as our management is and the guys covering the team stink so bad he could be injured and we would never know it.
Yeah, I think him and Glass both came to us as some unfinished products that needed a bit of molding and we just happened to hit a winning streak with Myers out of the lineup, so Hynes hasn't messed with a working formula. I don't sense any impatience or "fallen out of favor" from Nashville's perspective with either of these guys. With Fabbro and Carrier playing as well as they have on the D side, and players like Novak and Tomasino plugging in on the forward side, we can afford to be patient while Myers and Glass adjust and work on some of the holes in their games.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
He's the 'all the tools, no toolbox' cliche. Looked promising at one point in the NHL but he's just got no hockey sense.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

We're great at ruining D and have awful development in general. Ghost was far better than a top 4 D at one point, he was one of the best point producers in the league at the position at one point. Sanheim is a top 4 D (or has been in recent years) by ES play. Obviously, lack of special teams production but I don't think that's a requirement just to be a top 4 D.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm a Flyers fan and I'm also trying to figure this out.

Ghost - I think the Flyers broke him by expecting him to be defensively responsible lol. Just let the guy be a 50+pt D and anchor him with a boring stay at home D. He should be a top 4 D.

Morin - he broke himself, literally and unfortunately

Hagg - Flyers did a good job propping up his perception or at least Hakstol did

Sanheim - was expected to be a "first class" 2nd pairing D or a complimentary 1st pairing D, not really
there yet. I think the Flyers coaching/development are responsible.

Provorov - I think he's where he should be, hype had him as a clear #1. I'm not saying he's going to be Hedman, but compare their first 5yrs in the league and Provo is on par. Still room to improve and be that #1.

Myers - still TBD but below expectations, I don't think the Flyers broke him. Also not a draftee so hype should have been subdued, it was not.

Next up: Cam York and undrafted Zamula
Pretty ridiculous evaluation of Provorov

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Philly Myers has only played in 3 games with the Preds, atleast give the guy more of a look before pulling the plug.

Something I’ve noticed with Myers in Nashville in the games he has played in, Phil was giving more defensive responsibilities like never before in Philadelphia and Myers seemed to crumble under the pressure especially in the defensive zone.

Philadelphia used him evenly in all zones but Nashville has used him more in the defensive zone, kinda as a stay at home d-man but Myers didn’t seem to respond.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah, I think him and Glass both came to us as some unfinished products that needed a bit of molding and we just happened to hit a winning streak with Myers out of the lineup, so Hynes hasn't messed with a working formula. I don't sense any impatience or "fallen out of favor" from Nashville's perspective with either of these guys. With Fabbro and Carrier playing as well as they have on the D side, and players like Novak and Tomasino plugging in on the forward side, we can afford to be patient while Myers and Glass adjust and work on some of the holes in their games.

Bingo. Myers will get back in, but Hynes isn't changing anything with us winning games. Zero reason to move him or panic.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Think this is way too early but LA should be interested if this is actually a thing.

Lizotte + Maata

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Draft capital? Myers was literally undrafted. Ghost was a undrafted once and went in the third round as an overager. Hagg was a second rounder. Morin was a first rounder crippled by nothing but repeated injury. Only Sanheim really had any 'draft capital' that hasn't panned out, but he's still turned into a second pairing guy who's played 250 NHL games at 25 years old. Add on Provorov and that's really not bad...

Reactions: Curufinwe

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Guessing Myers' broken nose or whatever heals up, he breathes a little easier and doesn't have to play with a cage anymore, and at some point this year the Preds lose a few games in a row... then Myers will go back in the lineup and this whole thread is basically reset? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad