Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Holland would stew his prospects in Detroit for much longer. I bet he did not even think about trading Broberg.
I will say this. Holland does look like a minor genius not trading him at or near the deadline when teams were calling about him

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's +8 in the NHL playoffs in 9 games. He's earned a spot in the lineup next season and then some.
No doubt. He's probably better than Ceci at this point. Will be interesting to see what they do with VD. I hope they sign him to a cheap two or three year contract, to be a No.6-7 guy.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No doubt. He's probably better than Ceci at this point. Will be interesting to see what they do with VD. I hope they sign him to a cheap two or three year contract, to be a No.6-7 guy.
I believe VD said he's looking for the most money, and the Oilers are not willing to offer it.
Despite only playing 114 games, he's not some young up-and-coming player. He's 28 and likely on a downward trajectory soon.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I believe VD said he's looking for the most money, and the Oilers are not willing to offer it.
Despite only playing 114 games, he's not some young up-and-coming player. He's 28 and likely on a downward trajectory soon.
That makes sense for him. Possibly his only chance to cash in. He's ultimately replaceable.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
It would have been nice if that pass to Broberg hit the tape when he was flying up the right wing today. I wanted to see what he could do with the puck at that speed. He did a good job to reach back and retrieve the puck, but the play basically ended at that point.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hope we don't take this kid for granted now, that he can be nurse's babysitter playing his offside for a full year. That would be a massive and draining challenge in a first full season for BroBeast.

Broberg able to play on the left with a good RHD making around 1/2 nurse's money could probably be a more solid D pair.

Reactions: Oilhawks

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
He's earned his spot, but unfortunately it will push someone out, and that person is Vinny. I think they could trade Ceci for a mid/late pick and use his 3.25 to sign Vinny and Broberg both at 1.5-2 for next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's earned his spot, but unfortunately it will push someone out, and that person is Vinny. I think they could trade Ceci for a mid/late pick and use his 3.25 to sign Vinny and Broberg both at 1.5-2 for next year.
Broberg is LD. I'm not sure it will affect Vinny. More like Kulak. We don't have Dmen who play well on both sides

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
I will say this. Holland does look like a minor genius not trading him at or near the deadline when teams were calling about him
The Oilers should have been giving him an extended audition in the NHL this year, and should have done so last season as well. It was incredibly lucky that we made it to the WCF and that Broberg got his audition only then. If we had been bumped out Rd 2, Broberg is likely offloaded this offseason for a mid-round pick

I would bet in behind the scenes the Oilers and Holland were ready to trade him if they would have gotten a 2nd round pick and likely only kept him because they werent getting interest.

Ill chalk about the luck with Broberg as a blind squirel finding a nut

Find another good dman for Bouchard so you can pair Broberg w/ Ekholm. That would very positive top 4.

Put Nurse on pair 3 w/ VD or a cheap vet
It would have been awesome to get Tanev. Would have been a great vet partner for Broberg on that 2nd pairing

Reactions: bobbythebrain

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stauffer brought up the possibility that Broberg could play RD. Even moving forward. Not a fan of this idea. Give your 8th overall pick the best chance to succeed on his natural side.

I think the path moving forward for Broberg should be pretty clear. He replaces Kulak cause it’ll save us Cap space in the short term that’s needed. He’ll replace Ekholm in the future as he continues to develop and Ekholms age catches up to him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Stauffer brought up the possibility that Broberg could play RD. Even moving forward. Not a fan of this idea. Give your 8th overall pick the best chance to succeed on his natural side.

I think the path moving forward for Broberg should be pretty clear. He replaces Kulak cause it’ll save us Cap space in the short term that’s needed. He’ll replace Ekholm in the future as he continues to develop and Ekholms age catches up to him.

He did play RD growing up in Sweden, so it's not completely foreign to him at the professional level.
Imo the Oil have until the next TDL to see if any of Broberg, Kulak, or Nurse can play effectively on their offside.

In Broberg's case, while it's not ideal, playing next to Nurse isn't the worst spot for him. Broberg shines far more when he's encouraged to be offensive and create, while the Oil often prefer purely safe on their 3rd pairing.

Broberg does a good job covering for Nurse's worst element (breakouts), and Nurse has shown when someone else is looking after that, he's a far more effective defenceman who can cover for a weaker partner. Plus I love the contrast of styles Ekholm-Bouchard and Nurse-Broberg offer.

I don't see a reason to overthink the top 4 that we saw work in the SCF...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg

Kulak-Ceci is also fine as a 3rd pairing, though ideally, you'd trade Ceci and bring back Vinny or a similarly big defenceman in the 1.5-2.0mil range. (Hakanpää, Bortuzzo)

I also don't think Kemp (or Wanner) is that far off from being able to step into the 3rd pairing role, though I'd want Nurse-Broberg fully insulated by NHL-proven talent to start at least.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He did play RD growing up in Sweden, so it's not completely foreign to him at the professional level.
Imo the Oil have until the next TDL to see if any of Broberg, Kulak, or Nurse can play effectively on their offside.

In Broberg's case, while it's not ideal, playing next to Nurse isn't the worst spot for him. Broberg shines far more when he's encouraged to be offensive and create, while the Oil often prefer purely safe on their 3rd pairing.

Broberg does a good job covering for Nurse's worst element (breakouts), and Nurse has shown when someone else is looking after that, he's a far more effective defenceman who can cover for a weaker partner. Plus I love the contrast of styles Ekholm-Bouchard and Nurse-Broberg offer.

I don't see a reason to overthink the top 4 that we saw work in the SCF...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg

Kulak-Ceci is also fine as a 3rd pairing, though ideally, you'd trade Ceci and bring back Vinny or a similarly big defenceman in the 1.5-2.0mil range. (Hakanpää, Bortuzzo)

I also don't think Kemp (or Wanner) is that far off from being able to step into the 3rd pairing role, though I'd want Nurse-Broberg fully insulated by NHL-proven talent to start at least.
It’s a possibility. You are right he showed he could handle RD in the SCFs and that should not be discounted. But he’s still young and there’s still lots of growth that needs to be managed. Guess we shall see as the season plays out, you are right that if it worked in the playoffs, it should be given a shot in the regular season.

That said, we still need some cap to go out. I’d hate to lose Kulak but it might he needed in general to manage our cap.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Kulak is cheap, and
It’s a possibility. You are right he showed he could handle RD in the SCFs and that should not be discounted. But he’s still young and there’s still lots of growth that needs to be managed. Guess we shall see as the season plays out, you are right that if it worked in the playoffs, it should be given a shot in the regular season.

That said, we still need some cap to go out. I’d hate to lose Kulak but it might he needed in general to manage our cap.
To get rid of Kulak because cap is awful GMing. Kulak is steady, A vet, can skate and settle Down rookies on A 3rd pair. You buy out Campbell, cut off Fogele first. There is 5 millilns unlocked. Then look at the worst D pair of nurse and Ceci of Who to leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad