Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Mets still refusing to take the kill when it's presented to them on a platter. If the Phillies really wanna lose this one, they're gonna hafta do it for themselves.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Fair. But that's a far cry from the difference of winning this series and losing. They have 3 hits.
True, buts it do or die. It's the lack of urgency he and this team show. Granted, this game like game 1 is more on the bats to me. They wasted a Wheeler start against a Mets bullpen game. Inexcusable.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We have a lot of good pitchers that routinely get put in absolutely shitty situations

And no, I'm not forgetting about a lineup that has never been coached to have patience at the plate and work a count. At this point the at bats are unforgivable. It's not about changing up their fundamentals, it's about being ok with taking a couple pitches just to see what a pitcher is working with and trying to maybe foul some shit off and draw a walk when the situation calls for it. We make life so easy for opposing pitchers, and it's inexcusable at this point.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t have issue with using either one there. That’s not my criticism. My issue is why Hoffman didn’t get a quicker hook there.

He just sat there & watched Hoffman implode with no urgency like this is some pointless regular season game & not a do or die game.
Conceptually, I am fine with those two being the first two out of the bullpen. The problem was failing to react properly to the situation, and your bats aren't going enough to bail you out.

The bullpen pitching poorly, they were still one of the best bullpens in baseball all year. How are you supposed to know that all of them start giving up runs at the same time? That's why you have to react quickly, you don't have a tomorrow.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Conceptually, I am fine with those two being the first two out of the bullpen. The problem was failing to react properly to the situation, and your bats aren't going enough to bail you out.

The bullpen pitching poorly, they were still one of the best bullpens in baseball all year. How are you supposed to know that all of them start giving up runs at the same time? That's why you have to react quickly, you don't have a tomorrow.
The bullpen is giving up runs because he's absolutely killed their confidence by consistently hanging them out to dry by being too slow to react, and destroying the confidence of anyone coming in by handing them absolutely terrible situations where one mistake puts up multiple runs against.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I fully admit it might not have even mattered with the way the bullpen has pitched but at least give me the attempt & go down swinging. The Mets didn’t really have to work hard there, they let Hoffman beat himself up with his inability to command his pitches.

I’m not even a big blame the manager guy because I don’t really think it matters that much but Thompson is gonna get some heat for that & rightfully so.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
1 run 4 hits

Not even mad about the grand slam. 1 run was never going to be enough. Bullpen sucked in these playoffs but the offense is culprit #1 for me. 4 hits and 1 run isn’t enough in an elimination game.

Ranger got through some jams. Proud of him. Probably the only player who can hold his head high today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad