Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

djw99

Feb 18, 2006
Topper is the same idiot manager he was last year when he pitched Kimbrel in the 6th against Arizona.

Doing it again should get him fired tonight
he's had 3 chances to get this team over the hump. he hasn't been able to do it. time to move on. this team is supposedly too good to fail like this.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
They should just have the Phillies send 9 batters to the plate consecutively so this ends faster. No need for the Mets to bat

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
he's had 3 chances to get this team over the hump. he hasn't been able to do it. time to move on. this team is supposedly too good to fail like this.
They faced a historically great Houston team. Last year bringing in Kimbrel probably should have cost him his job. This year up until that inning he was fine but that was a firebable offense.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The bullpen has sucked this whole series. I just don’t know how you sit there & watch Hoffman implode like that with no urgency. Maybe the end result is the same anyway given the performance out of the bullpen. But how do you not even try to cut that one off at the head? Hoffman could not throw a strike there & was all over the place.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The bullpen has sucked this whole series. I just don’t know how you sit there & watch Hoffman implode like that with no urgency. Maybe the end result is the same anyway given the performance out of the bullpen. But how do you not even try to cut that one off at the head? Hoffman could not throw a strike there & was all over the place.
He leaves pitchers in way too long. How many times has he allowed someone to get 2 or 3 on with 0 or 1 outs in a late inning only to then bring in someone when the stakes are unreasonably high. Of course the entire bullpen mentally collapsed when they're constantly being mismanaged like that. They know help isn't coming and if it does, it'll be too late.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rob managing like this is a Sunday afternoon game against Pittsburgh. :laugh:
Not quite. He brought in two guys he considers closers in the 5th and 6th inning. It was high-leverage time, and he went to his two best guys. Now, deciding that Hoffman was one of those guys, is the debate, and one that all of us know who wins that one. Estevez, that's tough. In principle, I can forgive that. Obviously it sucks to give up the grand slam, but it's not a situation he should've been seeing. Hoffman should've been out after the leadoff hitter gets on base.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not quite. He brought in two guys he considers closers in the 5th and 6th inning. It was high-leverage time, and he went to his two best guys. Now, deciding that Hoffman was one of those guys, is the debate, and one that all of us know who wins that one. Estevez, that's tough. In principle, I can forgive that. Obviously it sucks to give up the grand slam, but it's not a situation he should've been seeing. Hoffman should've been out after the leadoff hitter gets on base.
f*** off with the high leverage shit. Doesn't f***ing matter when it means that the opponent then gets to rake against lesser pitchers the 8th and 9th innings, which has been happening every game.

And combine that with Topper leaving Hoffman in until he's deep up shit creek only to burn Estevez in a situation that never should have gotten to that point. It's just complete mismanagement from our head guy. Absolutely set them up for failure, just like last year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don’t have issue with using either one there. That’s not my criticism. My issue is why Hoffman didn’t get a quicker hook there.

He just sat there & watched Hoffman implode with no urgency like this is some pointless regular season game & not a do or die game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
f*** off with the high leverage shit. Doesn't f***ing matter when it means that the opponent then gets to rake against lesser pitchers the 8th and 9th innings, which has been happening every game.

And combine that with Topper leaving Hoffman in until he's deep up shit creek only to burn Estevez in a situation that never should have gotten to that point. It's just complete mismanagement from our head guy. Absolutely set them up for failure, just like last year.
Well leaving Hoffman in, is the fatal decision. It's the second day in a row he waited until the bases were loaded to react. Ranger got out of it - more than once - but you want to dance with the devil, can't be too shocked to get burned. You wanna pray and hope it can happen again, no, god is telling you to pull the god damn pitcher this time.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The lineup has been bad, it is the fact that he did nothing with Hoffman until the bases were loaded. Could tell he didn't have it.
This.

A manager should never let the situation spiral like this. Take Hoffman out before it gets bad. It's an elimination game for christsakes. There is no tomorrow. There is no letting him worth through it. If he doesn't have it, pull him immediately.

But no, Good Vibes Rob gotta let him juice the bases before getting off his fat ass. And hey, by allowing that to happen, we then have to burn the closer.

Genius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad