Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Braves are losing at least. id have taken an 2-4 roadtrip in Boston and Baltimore last week. Bad game by Wheeler though.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Idk man...theres just something different about the 9th inning. There shouldnt be but there is. Even if you face the bottem of the order...a walk and a bloop hit and then you are stuck facing the top of the order with 2 runners on. Certain guys just handle those bigger spots better than others...hence why they get paid ridiculous money.

Id just feel a lot better adding a guy that can just close out games with no drama. Alvarado and Siranthony are too meldown prone and hoffman/kirkring both havent really been tested in that role.
There isn't anything different about the 9th inning. It's just like any other inning in a close game

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Their offense has gone ice cold again. They pretty much get little to nothing out of their OF offensively. Marsh is the only above average OFer they have both offensively & defensively. Castellanos is just an albatross that I have no faith in really correcting anything as time goes on.

It comes more apparent when injuries take place & other guys aren’t hitting as well as they can either.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im really not sure how Nick gets to start every single game. In reality he should be a platoon player. Especially if they are going to continue to run Rojas out there everyday, their outfield offense is nonexistent.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Im really not sure how Nick gets to start every single game. In reality he should be a platoon player. Especially if they are going to continue to run Rojas out there everyday, their outfield offense is nonexistent.

When you factor in the money owed to him on top the fact they don’t really have much to begin with with their OF even beyond him. Marsh is the only above average starting OF they have this year. Rojas as well as Castellanos are two of the worst starting OF in the league this year. Then you have Dahl, Merrifield, & Pache who will probably get exposed if they haven’t already with more opportunities. Although one of those three could be going when they activate Turner tomorrow.

They pretty desperately need another quality OFer to where they don’t have to rely on Rojas & Castellanos at the same time.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
When you factor in the money owed to him on top the fact they don’t really have much to begin with with their OF even beyond him. Marsh is the only above average starting OF they have this year. Rojas as well as Castellanos are two of the worst starting OF in the league this year. Then you have Dahl, Merrifield, & Pache who will probably get exposed if they haven’t already with more opportunities. Although one of those three could be going when they activate Turner tomorrow.
I think Rojas is getting sent down and they will platoon Pache/Marsh in CF and Sosa could be tried in left field. They'll probably never do it this year but Bryce going into the outfield again to make rook for Sosa might work as well.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Rojas is getting sent down and they will platoon Pache/Marsh in CF and Sosa could be tried in left field. They'll probably never do it this year but Bryce going into the outfield again to make rook for Sosa might work as well.
Bryce is done in the outfield. Sosa isn’t going to LF either, they’ll trade for an outfielder. Also, they need another catcher.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Bryce is done in the outfield. Sosa isn’t going to LF either, they’ll trade for an outfielder. Also, they need another catcher.
If Whit is going to get more playing time than Sosa when Trea is back Rob needs to be fired into the sun. They will probably trade for an outfielder though Nick still shouldnt be playing every game. A few positives today was that the Braves lost and Seranthony looked great.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Whit is going to get more playing time than Sosa when Trea is back Rob needs to be fired into the sun. They will probably trade for an outfielder though Nick still shouldnt be playing every game. A few positives today was that the Braves lost and Seranthony looked great.
Sosa is not an outfielder, and while he should, and I think will, get more AB’s, Whit plays both, he will just lose his infield AB’s. He will need to be replaced if he can’t start hitting, he isn’t here to be a defensive replacement. I don’t think Dombrowski is gonna mess around when it comes to the roles of the bench. They’re too far into it. Stubbs needs to be an adequate catcher, not the clubhouse DJ.

Outfielder
Catcher
Possible closer
Another LH reliever

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Sosa is not an outfielder, and while he should, and I think will, get more AB’s, Whit plays both, he will just lose his infield AB’s. He will need to be replaced if he can’t start hitting, he isn’t here to be a defensive replacement. I don’t think Dombrowski is gonna mess around when it comes to the roles of the bench. They’re too far into it. Stubbs needs to be an adequate catcher, not the clubhouse DJ.

Outfielder
Catcher
Possible closer
Another LH reliever
Whit is not a major league baseball player anymore. I agree with you about Stubbs. For me the priority should be this from DD's point of view:

Outfielder
Reliever dont care about lefty or righty just someone to bump Sosa down. Seranthony appears to be back, and if he is that's 5 high quality arms they have.
backup catcher.

This team is very good. Despite being 10-10 in their last 20 games they have gained two games on the Braves. I wrote this last Sunday and Ill write it again, I think the division is over barring catastrophic injuries.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whit is not a major league baseball player anymore. I agree with you about Stubbs. For me the priority should be this from DD's point of view:

Outfielder
Reliever dont care about lefty or righty just someone to bump Sosa down. Seranthony appears to be back, and if he is that's 5 high quality arms they have.
backup catcher.

This team is very good. Despite being 10-10 in their last 20 games they have gained two games on the Braves. I wrote this last Sunday and Ill write it again, I think the division is over barring catastrophic injuries.
If the Phillies lose the division at this point, they ain't going to the World Series.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think trading for a big time bat for the OF like Robert or Tucker, on top of adding 1 more nasty reliever is the only way this team is winning a World Series. Not beating LA, NY, and probably Cleveland and Baltimore as they are presently constructed.

• Haha
Reactions: FatTugboatFlahr

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think trading for a big time bat for the OF like Robert or Tucker, on top of adding 1 more nasty reliever is the only way this team is winning a World Series. Not beating LA, NY, and probably Cleveland and Baltimore as they are presently constructed.
The Dodgers dont have adequate starting pitching again imo. Especially is Yamamoto is out now.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Three of us from this message board could provide more outfield value than what they have gotten this year. Marsh being back is a big deal, the rest of them are awful players.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
When do they do the standing O for casty
If a trade happens and he's pulled out of the game and it gets around to people on their phones? Would be the biggest ovation mid-game at the bank since Osama Bin Laden was killed lol

Realistically only team trading would be if they're sending back a bigger contract they don't want and view Casty as saved money... but I dunno that there are anyone out there on those type of deals who would actually offer anything.

White Sox got Benitiendi with 3/$49.2m left after this season. Castellanos has 2/$40m after this season... but Benitiendi is even more worthless than Castellanos.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Very tough weekend for the Dodgers. Yamamoto is out for a atleast a few weeks with a rotator cuff injury and Mookie has a broken wrist. Ouch.

• Wow
Reactions: Flybynite

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
GQONPkRWQAA2RHa

Braves’ beat writer folds in ten minutes. :laugh:

Reactions: Danko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad