Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Considering the offense has left a lot of meat on the bone this year, Harper not being Harper, and a struggling bullpen, 24-11 is pretty damn good. Priority number one should be adding a couple bonafide bullpen arms at the deadline (or sooner). They should definitely be in on the best reliever being dangled, and one other good one

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Considering the offense has left a lot of meat on the bone this year, Harper not being Harper, and a struggling bullpen, 24-11 is pretty damn good. Priority number one should be adding a couple bonafide bullpen arms at the deadline (or sooner). They should definitely be in on the best reliever being dangled, and one other good one
I think one stud reliever and one more bench bat does the trick for me.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I mean if the opportunity presents itself Dombrowski shouldn't be shying away from top flight bullpen guy at the right price. But this group doesn't absolutely need that. Just another guy to trust out there. B to B+ level arm is all I ask for. They have the back end, high leverage studs.

They could use another guy to help with those bridge innings. Turnbull and Sanchez should help with that come playoff time when their SP rotation drops down to 3. Even for those 2 or 3 playoff bullpen games having Sanchez and Turnbull in their pockets is pretty key. As long as Turnbull keeps it up of course. I didn't believe in him at all but he's shit me up bigtime. What a clutch signing if he keeps shoving despite his fluid role.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE and Rebels57

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
My work schedule has been so wild I had no idea that we were the best team in the league currently. I've been score watching, so I know they had been winning a bunch, but that was a pleasant surprise.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
They don’t have regulars at SS or RF and you guys want to trade for a reliever for the playoffs in early May?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seranthony has a 5:1 strikeout to walk ratio so he's been a bit unlucky. I think he has a slight case of the yips or something. He is yanking glove side pitches so far off target they are leading to wild pitches. And they seem to happen when he's ahead in a two strike count. It's odd.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Seranthony has a 5:1 strikeout to walk ratio so he's been a bit unlucky. I think he has a slight case of the yips or something. He is yanking glove side pitches so far off target they are leading to wild pitches. And they seem to happen when he's ahead in a two strike count. It's odd.
His barrels are way up for some reason too- his sinker hasn't been very good so far. They either need to call it less (fb slider have resulted in much better results) or check his mechanics. There has to be something going on because his velo is there.

We've also seen this from him before. He tends to be streaky

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Wake up to see Evan Phillips is also on the IL now....that makes 9 of 22 players on the IL with only two IL spots....why is everyone having hamstring issues this year?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His barrels are way up for some reason too- his sinker hasn't been very good so far. They either need to call it less (fb slider have resulted in much better results) or check his mechanics. There has to be something going on because his velo is there.

We've also seen this from him before. He tends to be streaky
Think it may be a SSS issue. He's throwing his sinker less and his four seamer more. He's not getting groundballs. Less sinkers = more flyballs = more HRs. Could be a situational thing though since his sinker he almost exclusively throws to righties. The sinker also hasn't been as good as last year by Stuff+ (both fastballs in fact) The four seamer hasn't been hit hard this year. It's the sinker and slider that have been hit hard. He's given up 3 HRs on his slider even though it grades out better than last year. .737 slugging on the slider with an expected slug of .457.

Average exit velo is still in a good spot and this would be the lowest max EV allowed in a full season for him.

:dunno:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Think it may be a SSS issue. He's throwing his sinker less and his four seamer more. He's not getting groundballs. Less sinkers = more flyballs = more HRs. Could be a situational thing though since his sinker he almost exclusively throws to righties. The sinker also hasn't been as good as last year by Stuff+ (both fastballs in fact) The four seamer hasn't been hit hard this year. It's the sinker and slider that have been hit hard. He's given up 3 HRs on his slider even though it grades out better than last year. .737 slugging on the slider with an expected slug of .457.

Average exit velo is still in a good spot and this would be the lowest max EV allowed in a full season for him.

:dunno:
I noticed his flu ball rate is like 15% more than his career norm or something when I checked last week. I figured it was all pointing to a simple albeit extended rough patch, but the pitching coaches wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't checking in on if he's made a subconscious tweak in his motion. That's what the iPads are for

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I think outside of the very few top end relievers, the nature of the relief pitcher is streaky from year to year. Despite the Phillies bullpen struggles I think they have a decent approach: throwing a lot of shit at the wall and hoping some sticks. They have a lot of strong arms but the volatility of the relief pitcher makes me wary about it he playoffs where most guys aren’t going to pitch in back to back games. One more good arm and I’d feel a lot more comfortable. Not necessarily a top of the line closer but a very good one, is my desire

Reactions: BiggE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad