OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Pitchers And Catchers Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Oh don't worry, the Astros were actually the victims here! Those poor guys.

A lot of them grew up in the "everyone was doing steroids" generation. In addition, the intersection of tech and baseball produces some ethical grey areas. So on a certain level I sympathize with them...

Still, they need to grow the f*** up and accept responsibility.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
A lot of them grew up in the "everyone was doing steroids" generation. In addition, the intersection of tech and baseball produces some ethical grey areas. So on a certain level I sympathize with them...

Still, they need to grow the f*ck up and accept responsibility.

There is no comparison between steroids and what they did.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
As I get older I become more and more convinced that we should actually mandate steroid use internationally to see what the upper limits really are.
Imagine thinking steroids actually made the difference most people actually think it made

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Oh don't worry, the Astros were actually the victims here! Those poor guys.

One time my friend convinced me to swing baseball bats at this pine tree in his yard to hit the pinecones off. In doing so we essentially wrecked a lot of tree limbs. He's a few years older than me. We both got in trouble. Tree is still there by the way, 20 years later, with many holes

Also, anyone trying to save the Astros' face should just save their f***ing breath

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I want these guys cranking it when they make contact and being able to run the bases in 9 seconds.

giphy.gif

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Imagine thinking steroids actually made the difference most people actually think it made
didn't we actually see this when maguire/bonds/sosa all miraculously became huge and starting swatting 70+ dingers a season?

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018

This is a straw man.

I only argue that the logic of excusing illicit behavior by pointing to rampant negligence of the rules has been in baseball for a while.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
didn't we actually see this when maguire/bonds/sosa all miraculously became huge and starting swatting 70+ dingers a season?
Imagine thinking those guys weren't capable of that type of power in the first place

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Imagine thinking those guys weren't capable of that type of power in the first place
I guess what you're trying to say is that these guys could have hit 65, 70 homers without 'roids but didn't want to? That position is about as solid as an old piece of jello.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018

Bonds was a superstar and HOFer before steroids. Post, he was a baseball god.

It's pretty obvious that athletes who used benefited. I think the Astros and all others who're stealing signs benefited more. Bonds couldn't win a WS by himself.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They weren't. A leap from the 40s and low 50s up to 70 is incredibly huge.
Bonds hit one season of 70+ HR. Every other season he was 35-45 in his prime, coming into the league hitting 15-25. Not awfully outrageous just for one season. Carlos Ruiz doubled his offensive output for one season too.

I'm not denying that these guys did steroids. I just don't think it's an offense punishable by death like this whole Astros thing, nor do I see any of those steroid users as villains. They were all great hitters, steroids didn't make them great. I'm sure it boosted their power to some magnitude that is impossible to quantify, but it turned no one from mediocre to great like some people think. (not you, I'm sure)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bonds hit one season of 70+ HR. Every other season he was 35-45 in his prime, coming into the league hitting 15-25. Not awfully outrageous just for one season. Carlos Ruiz doubled his offensive output for one season too.

I'm not denying that these guys did steroids. I just don't think it's an offense punishable by death like this whole Astros thing, nor do I see any of those steroid users as villains. They were all great hitters, steroids didn't make them great. I'm sure it boosted their power to some magnitude that is impossible to quantify, but it turned no one from mediocre to great like some people think. (not you, I'm sure)

Jumping to 70 HR when you're on the wrong side of your prime and just happen to be guzzling steroids is typically an indication that you've benefited from using steroids. If he had that power independent of the roids it would have been displayed before.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yes. Hitting 73 HRs at age 37 and playing home games at one of the worst HR parks in the league is completely normal lol.

Reactions: SnS

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For reference: before the Golden Age of Roids, the last time someone had hit 60+ home runs was 1961. Prior to that it was done once by Babe Ruth in 1927. So, twice in a over a century of pro baseball.

Then all of a sudden from 1998-2001 three guys made it happen 6 times. They happened to be on pumpfluids, and those streaks happened to be outliers for their own careers. As well as being a huge anomaly in all of baseball history to boot.

Stanton's 59 HRs recently is quite a jump in production for him, too, but it at least occurred smack in the middle of his physical prime instead of his mid 30s.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As I get older I become more and more convinced that we should actually mandate steroid use internationally to see what the upper limits really are.

Like I’m not going to lie as a baseball fan that McGwire/Sosa home run chase in 1998 was entertaining as f***. Baseball could honestly use more national relevance like that these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad