OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2019 Offseason #FireSZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Probably because they’re the better team & were treating him like a top option instead of all these other teams like the Phils seeing him as a backup option to the top guys.

The Braves don’t really get into big name FA’s these days.
Still hurts. :(

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
So borderline Cy Young season? Lower the expectations a bit.

I am really curious to see how they fill out the rotation. Do they add a lefty? Spencer Howard should be up at least by midseason.

Gonna add another bat or two with Cesar, Franco, and maybe Segura going out.
If Segura goes it'll be because Didi comes in. Hopefully he goes for pitching

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
FanGraphs had him at ~4/75 lol.

Well if they are already in bed with the QO free agents, Donaldson on a short term deal could be an option. I’m not sure where they are with the luxury tax off the top of my head.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
That’s the popular thinking. There was talk about moving SS off of short just after the season though. That trade ain’t looking great a year later.
It's not, no. But if the can flip for competent pitching, I'll give it a pass

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The Wheeler contract is a nice upside investment. There's risk as well.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I like Wheeler. Tools are there so I can see this being a good deal. He has some of the best fancy pitches is baseball

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wheeler has great stuff, two solid seasons after TJ surgery, but he's never quite put it all together.
Throws 97, touches 100, with his 4 seamer, 2 seamer, hard slider, hard curve, changeup.
The raw material for an ace is there.

So there's the typical downside with a FA pitcher, but also more upside than you get with most top FAs who are getting top dollar because they're at their peak and getting paid for that peak. Wheeler's been a 3.5-4 WAR pitcher the last two years, so he's worth $20-25M just off that (though durability issues in the past probably resulted in a discount).

The wildcards are Eflin, Howard and Seabold.
Eflin had one awful month last season, otherwise pitched like a solid middle of the rotation guy. Hopefully, the new pitching coach won't mess with him the way the old one did.
Howard has great stuff, touches 100 with 4 pitches.
Seabold doesn't throw as hard but has great command and actually out pitched Howard in the Arizona Fall League.

And of course, Arrieta without bone spurs should have one decent year in him before he rides off into the sunset, and certainly will be motivated in a contract year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad