GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ Toronto Maple Leafs 7:00pm on CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So you guys expect Babcock to ease Hyman back in as well?

I'm not speaking on their behalf... but Hyman DOES have a different injury... I'm not a physio or anything like that, but maybe it is possible that coaching staff will get different advice from the medical staff regarding each player...?

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
When the Leafs played them last week, mostly of us expected it to be a cake walk of a win and then most were complaining that it took SO to win it. Well since then, they've also won their 2 games and are now 8-5-2, that's almost same as the Leafs record of 9-5-3 so there is no reason to expect a cake walk tonight.

Reactions: On-the-Fly and glue

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Hoping to see the offense come alive in this one. Whether Babs likes it or not, this team is not built for defense, and our hope of winning is by generating a ton of offense in a high-risk high-reward kind of scenario in my opinion. But when the PP isn't clicking, and none of your players are getting into the slot and your xG is low...it is disconcerting. I hope JT can carry the momentum of an OT winner forward into putting in an actual good game, even if he doesn't score, just generating chances at a 55%+ share.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I just developed a new analytics stat.

I do not have a name for it yet, but we just take the number of times a key Maple Leafs player is wiped out on home ice when the other team takes a run at him.

Matthews has been sent to the quiet room. Kerfoot has been sent to the quiet room. Muzzin was scrubbed for a few games because someone took a run at him and gave him a charley horse. Then all the running of Andersen the goalie.

These four incidents, and probably a few I have forgotten, also did not watch all the games, they happened in separate games.

Since the Leafs have played about 8 home games, we can extrapolate that over the course of the season.

Therefore this new analytic stat suggests that out of 40 home games, in 20 of them the opposing team will try to injury to send Leafs to the infirmary and knock Andersen into lala land like that puck up Setito did once.

1 out of every 2 games we will see a Leafs get put out of the game or Andersen get run at.

What will the Leafs do to combat this stat? As the coach Mike Babcock says:- "Who is going to do that?"

:dunce:

Reactions: Duffman955

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
the guy has a twitter account, he must be more knowledgeable than a NHL head coach, what a joke.

Yeah I find it kind of weird how Jeffler is quoted in here. Especially with the way he acted after the Rielly incident last year.

Reactions: rubous

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Was checking the hockey scoreboard at CBS, Tampa beating up on Buffalo will sweep them back to back.

Then I saw that Conner Brown has 12 points for the Ottawa Senators, albeit only 2 goals. But 12 points?

The Ottawa Senators have played 15 games so far, and are 3-3 in their last 6, so slowly they are trying to turn it around to be a competitive team.

Which Leafs have more than 12 points other than Marner, Matthews and Rielly? (I'm assuming they passed that already, not going to check)

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Was checking the hockey scoreboard at CBS, Tampa beating up on Buffalo will sweep them back to back.

Then I saw that Conner Brown has 12 points for the Ottawa Senators, albeit only 2 goals. But 12 points?

The Ottawa Senators have played 15 games so far, and are 3-3 in their last 6, so slowly they are trying to turn it around to be a competitive team.

Which Leafs have more than 12 points other than Marner, Matthews and Rielly? (I'm assuming they passed that already, not going to check)

That's all. Matthews at 19. Marner at 18. Rielly at 15. Then it's Nylander, Mikheyev at 11, Johnsson Kapanen at 10, Tavares and muzzin at 9, then the rest of the team..

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Probably easing him into the lineup after a significant injury and no training camp?

Unless he's still being troubled by that injury giving him 9 minutes is ridiculous

Giving him another 3-5 minutes of friendly usage to help continue building him up and easing the load on Rielly makes sense

I'm no Babcock hater but this is just dumb

Reactions: IPS and JayDog17

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hoping to see the offense come alive in this one. Whether Babs likes it or not, this team is not built for defense, and our hope of winning is by generating a ton of offense in a high-risk high-reward kind of scenario in my opinion. But when the PP isn't clicking, and none of your players are getting into the slot and your xG is low...it is disconcerting. I hope JT can carry the momentum of an OT winner forward into putting in an actual good game, even if he doesn't score, just generating chances at a 55%+ share.
Pretty much. Sure the improved defensive play is nice and all, but intentionally stopping the offense isn't the way to do it. This team is not winning one goal game in the playoffs. There is a way to create offense while being sound defensively.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

In other words, Babcock's response "it's the player's fault, and I am the one who knows everything".

Babcock ruins a lot of players confidence and natural ability to just execute the game.

It's his way or else you get black balled into oblivion.

He is becoming increasingly tiresome and rigid in his ideas.

This has to be draining on the team after so many years " of father knows best"

Just let them play hockey and go with the flow.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Gather round the table boys and girls , stoves on !
We are going to have soup tonight ...
upload_2019-11-9_14-2-49.jpeg

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
When the Leafs played them last week, mostly of us expected it to be a cake walk of a win and then most were complaining that it took SO to win it. Well since then, they've also won their 2 games and are now 8-5-2, that's almost same as the Leafs record of 9-5-3 so there is no reason to expect a cake walk tonight.
Philly is similar to us to start the year in that their best players havent been good enough. Their record is about where you'd expect them though with a rookie goalie and a meh backup. Even with the injuries the Leafs should have a much better record. No excuse for us. We're top 3 in terms of talent.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Hyman played injured on one leg in the playoffs all seven games last season. He won't be eased back in.

And Dermott played the last 1/4 of the season and the playoffs injured as well, so what's the difference?

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
As a fellow Babcock hater, I don’t know what you guys want from Babcock in the Barrie situation? Barrie isn’t getting PP1 time over Rielly. He’s not getting 1st pairing minutes over Rielly. PP2 is as good as it’s gonna get for him. Muzzin should be the perfect partner for Barrie, and with our offensive skilled style of play he should be putting up points 5 on 5.

Barrie has just been flat out terrible on his own so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad