OT: Philadelphia Eagles: Super Bowl LIII Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Agholor is slated to be the 23rd highest paid WR, he definitely has high cap casualty potential.

As for the Bell/Brown rumors, I don't see how it's possible to get one of them unless they get rid Peters+Agholor+Bennett, and maybe more. Eagles associated with either seems like clickbait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotusflower

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As for the Bell/Brown rumors, I don't see how it's possible to get one of them unless they get rid Peters+Agholor+Bennett, and maybe more. Eagles associated with either seems like clickbait.

Exactly. Long is the only other place you can really save significantly.

That gets you a bit over 40 under, minus Sudfeld (RFA), maybe a vet QB, and the minor numbers yet to come in like Lovato, minus your draft class. Then you have zero DL depth and need moderately-priced replacements elsewhere while going into Wentz extension territory. Does not seem very Howie-like to me.

I could even see Sudfeld getting an outside offer depending on the tender.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
When Kelly went to the 49ers I said he'd be lucky to win 7 more games in his NFL career. I was too optimistic about him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m skeptical if Chip is even a good college coach anymore at this point. I expected UCLA to be awful this year along with pretty much everybody else but the recruiting was god awful & a lack of effort played a part in it.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I thought he lost his right to this stuff anyway due to him getting injured doing forbidden stuff
Yea I did too. That’s why he agreed to the restructure. He got 2 million guaranteed last year and that was the last of it.

Spotrac has us at 18 in cap while over the cap has us at 4. I honestly have no idea who or what to believe anymore. Just whatever howie does I will believe we have the room/plan to make that move.

Reactions: Jtown

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
My guess is that move Bennett for a pick and go heavy on D in the draft. If they sign anyone in free agency for defense I would expect it to be a depth guy at DT. On offense, especially if they are moving Agholor, I think they may look to sign a WR in free agency and maybe make a trade for an RB. I also expect a running back to be taken at some point in the draft, probably in the middle rounds. Finally, I think they keep Peters for one more year, with big V as the backup at least to start. This gives Mailata another year to learn the posititon and if Peters goes down, perhaps the big Aussie could step in during the season.

In the end, it will all come down to Carson Wentz. If he stays healthy and plays the way he's capable of, they will probably be a playoff team. If he gets injured or struggles, they won't.

In other news, I hope the rumors about Foles signing with Jax are true. First, I'd hate to see him the NFC, especially the NFC East and Secondly, I live right outside of Jacksonville so the Jags are my AFC team and I love Nick Foles!

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I'm starting to think that if Christian Wilkins is still on the board at pick 25, you can pencil him in as the Eagles' guy. If he's not... i mean, i know you go with best available, and you can make a legitimate case for a guy like Josh Jacobs if that's the scenario. Yes, i know, "you don't take RBs in the 1st round, they have two 2nd rounders, etc." and those are all legitimate points, but the amount of interest they showed in RBs at the combine really stands out.

If they're deadset on defense in round 1, there should be plenty of capable edge rushers still on the board, but as far as defensive tackles are concerned... how would you guys feel about taking a chance on Jeffery Simmons? I get that he's more of a cowboys-type pick, but the talent is there and you'd give Cox a hell of a wingman.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
looks like alshon and malcolm may be candidates to restructure too. I wonder what howie has in mind.
The rumors of Bell are crazy but if he keeps clearing it’s not impossible.

I can see them a player like Bell a 5 year deal but most of the money is in the first three years. Then either cut him or rework a new deal if he is still at a high level.

Only thing that makes me not believe that is how little value howie and company have put into the running back position lately.

Reactions: kelmitchell

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I can't see Howie giving a RB big money. You can find good backs to use in a committee late in the draft or in undrafted free agents. That was the approach the team has had going back to Banner and Reid. They just got lucky because they were able to find franchise backs in the third (Westbrook) and second (McCoy) rounds. But before that they got to an NFC championship game with Duce, Westbrook and Buckhalter splitting duties.

You pay your QBs, your pass rushers, your offensive tackles and your cornerbacks. (It's kind of amazing that the Eagles have had just two starting LTs since 1998.) And occasionally, a stud in the middle of the field like a Dawkins or Cox.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I can't see Howie giving a RB big money. You can find good backs to use in a committee late in the draft or in undrafted free agents. That was the approach the team has had going back to Banner and Reid. They just got lucky because they were able to find franchise backs in the third (Westbrook) and second (McCoy) rounds. But before that they got to an NFC championship game with Duce, Westbrook and Buckhalter splitting duties.

You pay your QBs, your pass rushers, your offensive tackles and your cornerbacks. (It's kind of amazing that the Eagles have had just two starting LTs since 1998.) And occasionally, a stud in the middle of the field like a Dawkins or Cox.
And wide receivers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Depending on your scheme, I would strongly argue in favor of paying Safeties or SS/LBs who can cover in space too, but I would limit the latter to the types who can potentially pick up a slot running a deep cross on Four Verts out of Cover 3. Those guys are worth their weight in gold and there just aren't many of them.

(Yes, this is a Roquan take.)

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't feel like there are that many great coverage linebackers anymore. Not that I really watch the NFL these days. Certainly not many who can play man. Remember Seth Joyner? He had sick skills. New England always favored linebackers who could cover, not sure what they do these days.

I suppose most teams just play nickel/dime over 50% of snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark