Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): THIS IS BRAZIL (Start Of 2024 Regular Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm starting to think Ryan Poles may not be the best GM in football with a turnaround time of a year and a half of a full rebuild.

For all that we get annoyed by the Eagles from time to time, there is one bedrock element of their philosophy that every team needs to adopt: YOU DO NOT HAVE A QUARTERBACK UNLESS YOU HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE. Do not, under any circumstances, try to fill the QB position long-term unless you can be reasonably sure they're not going to have to develop Nightcrawler's powers of teleportation or die trying.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm starting to think Ryan Poles may not be the best GM in football with a turnaround time of a year and a half of a full rebuild.

I honestly thought on draft day they were going to go with Fashanu with that second pick.

Granted as odd as it is to say Fashanu might have been better off going to the Jets over being thrown into the fire there.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For all that we get annoyed by the Eagles from time to time, there is one bedrock element of their philosophy that every team needs to adopt: YOU DO NOT HAVE A QUARTERBACK UNLESS YOU HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE. Do not, under any circumstances, try to fill the QB position long-term unless you can be reasonably sure they're not going to have to develop Nightcrawler's powers of teleportation or die trying.
Yeah, I never understood the idea you draft a franchise QB when you're a bad team with a high pick.
I'd trade down, garner a bunch of OL, overpay the best OL coach I can find, THEN in a year or two when I still suck but have a good OL, draft my young franchise QB.

Even then, I'd sit the kid for most of his rookie year, play a scrub veteran in front of him and get him in for the last 3-4 games with no pressure as an extended "training camp." The next season I take the training wheels off.

Most top ten draft picks at QB fail, sometimes b/c of talent, but just as much b/c they're shell shocked and never learn to stay in the pocket and survey the field b/c they spent their first few years getting the shit kicked out of them.

Reactions: ponder719

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, I never understood the idea you draft a franchise QB when you're a bad team with a high pick.
I'd trade down, garner a bunch of OL, overpay the best OL coach I can find, THEN in a year or two when I still suck but have a good OL, draft my young franchise QB.

Even then, I'd sit the kid for most of his rookie year, play a scrub veteran in front of him and get him in for the last 3-4 games with no pressure as an extended "training camp." The next season I take the training wheels off.

Most top ten draft picks at QB fail, sometimes b/c of talent, but just as much b/c they're shell shocked and never learn to stay in the pocket and survey the field b/c they spent their first few years getting the shit kicked out of them.

Pretty easy. It's the hardest and most important position to acquire talent at. If you think you have a generational guy, then you have to take him.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Yeah, not many times you’re going to be drafting within the first few picks if you’re even a semi competent organization. That’s when good potential quarterbacks are available. Gotta take your shots. No team should pass over a potential Peyton Manning because their offensive line sucks. It’s easier to fix an oline than find a franchise quarterback

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
574 out of 700 players are out, including me, in my $ survivor, 82%. Guy says that is a record for 2 weeks.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty easy. It's the hardest and most important position to acquire talent at. If you think you have a generational guy, then you have to take him.

If you think you have a generational guy, but you don't have any way to stop him from being obliterated 400 times a season, what you have is a generational IR. If you're absolutely convinced this guy is THE GUY, then don't put him on the field until he's not going to die. I don't care if he sits a full season, tank another year and get him some protection. Too many teams start their next rebuild the day they start their QB of the future, and realize they just made him the roadkill of the past.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
God. Being a panthers fan is sad.

I hate this organization.
Yeah living down here it's just pure hate watching at this point. I want nothing more than everything David Tepper touches to fail. The guy is a cancerous asshole.

Also, I think I'm going to like Kelce on MNF

Reactions: SnS and BigToe

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Yeah living down here it's just pure hate watching at this point. I want nothing more than everything David Tepper touches to fail. The guy is a cancerous asshole.

Also, I think I'm going to like Kelce on MNF

Yeah I moved to NC and was planning on knocking one of my bucket list things off the list but I’m not really sure I want to do that this year with the state of the team. Especially when the travel is 3+ hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad