Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): THIS IS BRAZIL (Start Of 2024 Regular Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Dak is worth that contract. The problem is that they could have signed him for less by not dragging their feet like they always do. QB contracts are cyclical. Most good starters end up as the “highest paid” for a little while.

I think he left a little money on the table tbh.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Time to celebrate eagles fans. The cowboys just signed Dak to a 60 mil per year contract for a QB who hasn’t done anything other than put up flashy stats in the regular season.

Dak is worth that contract. The problem is that they could have signed him for less by not dragging their feet like they always do. QB contracts are cyclical. Most good starters end up as the “highest paid” for a little while.

Dak isn’t close to worth that contract.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well, aren't you also saying that Hurts' struggles last year might have been due to bad play design and play calling?

Hurts was very effective against the blitz.
He was accurate throwing the ball.
He also made some bonehead throws.

I just don't get excited by the first few games of the NFL season, and pre-season isn't the issue, go back to AR's teams, they often started slow then hit their stride for the stretch run. And they played 4 preseason games with starters getting about a game's worth of play.

With two new schemes and a bunch of new players on defense, some growing pains are to be expected.

Now if Hurts is still throwing balls up for grabs in game six, time to press the panic button.

Great news! They're cap strapped and tied to a good but not great QB who consistently comes up short in the post-season.
I defended Hurts last year. I blamed the coaching staff for the majority of that shitshow so I wouldn’t say I’m doing that.

He’s always thrown balls up for grabs. He’s always left the pocket too early. He’s always had issues after the initial read. He’s always had trouble rolling to the right.

It’s not a nail in the coffin on the guy but they’re not anything new so they shouldn’t be hand-waved away.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I defended Hurts last year. I blamed the coaching staff for the majority of that shitshow so I wouldn’t say I’m doing that.

He’s always thrown balls up for grabs. He’s always left the pocket too early. He’s always had issues after the initial read. He’s always had trouble rolling to the right.

It’s not a nail in the coffin on the guy but they’re not anything new.
This is his fourth season as a starter, which is when most QBs hit their peak. He's still only 26.
He's had a different OC every season since he started college except for 2022.

I do think the heavy reliance on the RPO has slowed his development as a pocket QB.
Hopefully, Moore will change that.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The Eagles ran RPOs about 13% of the time last year in the regular season. We need to stop acting like they built the whole engine out of them.

And if we do want to take that tack for some reason, why is he so terrible at making the RO read? It’s the same thing on a different conflicted player.

I’m still sticking to my pre-season stance of it will take time to know what’s going on with the offense. But my biggest concern in Week 1 was that they still generate nothing to the MoF and that’s where the 2 picks were. I also don’t think that’s an easy and/or quick fix. So we wait.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
This is his fourth season as a starter, which is when most QBs hit their peak. He's still only 26.
He's had a different OC every season since he started college except for 2022.

I do think the heavy reliance on the RPO has slowed his development as a pocket QB.
Hopefully, Moore will change that.
Sounds like a lot of excuses to me.

Reactions: trostol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Eagles ran RPOs about 13% of the time last year in the regular season. We need to stop acting like they built the whole engine out of them.

And if we do want to take that tack for some reason, why is he so terrible at making the RO read? It’s the same thing on a different conflicted player.
I don't think the problem is the RO read, but that defenses have seen enough of Hurts running the RO that they've got it down, and try to hit him when he holds the ball. The novelty is gone, and he's not a dynamic enough runner to compensate. I also think the blocking on the RO isn't as good as it was a couple years ago.

Moore is putting Hurts under center more, and with Barkley, I think PO would be more effective than the RO - it still gives Hurts a run/pass option (if the defense is out of position opening up rushing lanes) but the OL don't get downfield so you don't have to make bang-bang decisions. And defenses have to respect Barkley and the inside zone run.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Well, aren't you also saying that Hurts' struggles last year might have been due to bad play design and play calling?

Hurts was very effective against the blitz.
He was accurate throwing the ball.
He also made some bonehead throws.

I just don't get excited by the first few games of the NFL season, and pre-season isn't the issue, go back to AR's teams, they often started slow then hit their stride for the stretch run. And they played 4 preseason games with starters getting about a game's worth of play.

With two new schemes and a bunch of new players on defense, some growing pains are to be expected.

Now if Hurts is still throwing balls up for grabs in game six, time to press the panic button.

Great news! They're cap strapped and tied to a good but not great QB who consistently comes up short in the post-season.
Can't argue that one!

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I don't think the problem is the RO read, but that defenses have seen enough of Hurts running the RO that they've got it down, and try to hit him when he holds the ball. The novelty is gone, and he's not a dynamic enough runner to compensate. I also think the blocking on the RO isn't as good as it was a couple years ago.

Moore is putting Hurts under center more, and with Barkley, I think PO would be more effective than the RO - it still gives Hurts a run/pass option (if the defense is out of position opening up rushing lanes) but the OL don't get downfield so you don't have to make bang-bang decisions. And defenses have to respect Barkley and the inside zone run.

The GB EDGEs played them quite well, so I do think it's important to keep that in mind with respect to this particular game. But this is a pattern.

If Hurts can't run keepers (optioned or not), he's hard capped as an average starter and that contract is a disaster. People aren't going to like this on both sides, but he's now running into the Cam Newton problem. You want a base level of running from every QB at this point. But the runs that get QBs hurt are not Lamar turning the corner. They're the power runs. That's Cam and to a lesser level of play, it's Hurts.

I'm going to assume that you meant Play Action (PO) because I think that was just a typo. I'm all for it as a concept, but I think we just throw out that there without talking through the implications of what it means. Joe Burrow famously doesn't want to go under center with PA because you turn your back on the defense. That's Joe Burrow. I don't think it's a reasonable expectation to lean heavily on that from a QB who has never been asked to do it and already has a weakness in being late to his reads. Without major development, that's setting Hurts up for failure. I would blame the staff for any resulting disasters, not him.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
The GB EDGEs played them quite well, so I do think it's important to keep that in mind with respect to this particular game. But this is a pattern.

If Hurts can't run keepers (optioned or not), he's hard capped as an average starter and that contract is a disaster. People aren't going to like this on both sides, but he's now running into the Cam Newton problem. You want a base level of running from every QB at this point. But the runs that get QBs hurt are not Lamar turning the corner. They're the power runs. That's Cam and to a lesser level of play, it's Hurts.

I'm going to assume that you meant Play Action (PO) because I think that was just a typo. I'm all for it as a concept, but I think we just throw out that there without talking through the implications of what it means. Joe Burrow famously doesn't want to go under center with PA because you turn your back on the defense. That's Joe Burrow. I don't think it's a reasonable expectation to lean heavily on that from a QB who has never been asked to do it and already has a weakness in being late to his reads. Without major development, that's setting Hurts up for failure. I would blame the staff for any resulting disasters, not him.
I thought I was seeing things but he was slower running the ball. Idk if he doesn't trust his legs after whatever injury he sustained last year. But it didn't look good. And it literally is what makes his game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
WE MADE IT

Manziel is such a better point of reference than Cam. Thank you for digging this up.
Hurts is a lot stronger than Manziel, but still doesn't need to be taking big hits on a regular basis.

Which is why I prefer his designed runs be few, on scrambles you can throw the ball away if there's not a running lane and avoid hits.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don't think he's hard capped, he has a similar skill set to Prescott, and Moore got the most out of him - except I think Hurts is mentally tougher, has produced in the post-season. Hurts has a good enough arm, has improved his mechanics and accuracy and throws a very good deep ball.

We'll see by mid-season, but I think Hurts will continue to progress under Moore, but being a conventional pocket QB will be an adjustment. However, his performance against the blitz shows that having a good OC does make a difference.

If the RO is run 13% of the time, you only run the ball 40-45% so that's actually a lot.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I SCREAMED at that ARich deep ball. Human beings cannot do that.

I don't think he's hard capped, he has a similar skill set to Prescott, and Moore got the most out of him - except I think Hurts is mentally tougher, has produced in the post-season. Hurts has a good enough arm, has improved his mechanics and accuracy and throws a very good deep ball.

We'll see by mid-season, but I think Hurts will continue to progress under Moore, but being a conventional pocket QB will be an adjustment. However, his performance against the blitz shows that having a good OC does make a difference.

If the RO is run 13% of the time, you only run the ball 40-45% so that's actually a lot.

Deady, I cannot stress this enough. Hurts and Dak are polar opposites. Dak is at worst the 2nd best QB in football at progressing through his reads on time. It’s him or Herbert at the top. That’s Hurts’ biggest weakness. Dak is a world class intermediate MoF QB. Hurts wins exclusively to the sidelines.

And Dak can’t even run like he used to since the ankle injury.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

1000003673.jpg

Even our very own one time highest paid ever Jalen Hurts lolllllll robbery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad