Phil Kessel Or Joe Pavelski?

Who was better?

• Total voters

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Crazy that Kessel never had a 40 goal season in his career.

I'm biased in saying Pavs, but can understand an argument for either.

I see it as Kessel was more talented, but Pavelski had more skill/smarts.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'd say passing and playmaking. I'm not sure Pavelski could have carried a line offensively like he did.
Sure and skating as well but all that being said I'm surprised that this poll is even close as Joe was the much better overall player even if Phil might be the guy some years in fantasy hockey leagues as his points were empty points as he didn't bring much else and had to be sheltered bigtime alter in his career.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Sure and skating as well but all that being said I'm surprised that this poll is even close as Joe was the much better overall player even if Phil might be the guy some years in fantasy hockey leagues as his points were empty points as he didn't bring much else and had to be sheltered bigtime alter in his career.
Phil’s “empty points” were huge contributors to two Stanley cups, one of which he has a smythe worthy performance.

Was he THE guy? Was he their main threat? Was he known for being responsible in his own end? No…but to simply devalue his offense is wild.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Three time Stanley Cup Champion, all around nice bloke that tries hard and loves the game, single handedly saved the Hot Dog from extinction as a post, pre, and during work out meal.

Yeah, I'll go with Phil Kessel.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Phil’s “empty points” were huge contributors to two Stanley cups, one of which he has a smythe worthy performance.

Was he THE guy? Was he their main threat? Was he known for being responsible in his own end? No…but to simply devalue his offense is wild.
In other words Palveski was the better playoff and regular season guy....

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
In other words Palveski was the better playoff and regular season guy....
The Pens and Crosby won two more cups when Phil arrived. Again, please continue belittling his impact and accomplishments :laugh:

By the way I’m a Pavs fan. He too was still a solid playoff performer and a great regular season player. He aged well too and was always a great defensive player.
Why? Kessel directly won two cups as one of the best forwards and a huge catalyst for those Penguins squads.

Pavelski was a historic underachiever on the Sharks.
Underachiever? How so? No one was looking at Pavs as a threat or someone that was supposed to be a star in the league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens and Crosby won two more cups when Phil arrived. Again, please continue belittling his impact and accomplishments :laugh:

By the way I’m a Pavs fan. He too was still a solid playoff performer and a great regular season player. He aged well too and was always a great defensive player.

Underachiever? How so? No one was looking at Pavs as a threat or someone that was supposed to be a star in the league.

Same reason Jumbo and Marleau are viewed as underachievers. Their legacies are intertwined with the failures of the franchise.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Not sure what that has to do with anything. But I'm sure you'll tell me over the next 35 pages.
You’re not sure? How can a guy who was drafted 205th underachieve?:laugh:

Are we really doing this again? Like do I really need to spell this out for you? The fact that you clearly have no clue why that would matter truly is baffling…

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I’m not sure why draft position has anything to do with how a player is viewed.
….your being serious?

He was drafted 205th in 2003 and didn’t become a regular until like 2008, where he was a great secondary offensive scorer. He wasn’t looked at to be a star….to be elite. He wasn’t supposed to be this talked about player he is now. He was slow, not the biggest guy, didn’t have the best hands, wasn’t the craftiest, wasn’t the most physical….but he worked hard and had great IQ.

I can’t explain this anymore clear to you. Your draft status means a lot to how they view you and they viewed Marleau and Thornton as the next generation of top talent. Marleau became a consistent scorer but nothing elite really, while Thornton went on to have a HOF career and arguably became the greatest playmaker of his generation.

But Pavs? He actually OVERachieved if anything.

Reactions: Felidae

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Peak Kessel is comfortably better then Pavelski.

3 cups.

More seasons in top 10 scoring.

Pavelski just aged better.

If you look at career peak, it's Kessel quite comfortably.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pavelski pretty easily. Much more versatile and not that much worse offensively.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Pavelski aged much better because of his conditioning and Phil’s lack of fitness, especially in his later seasons.

Even Han Solo couldn’t make Kessel run apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00