1722722844632.png

1722722869830.png

Joe Pavelski:

1722722925918.png

1722722959499.png

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm a big Pavelski fan. But this is Kessel.

Watching Kessel was a joy. He was just so dangerous with the puck on the rush. Any possession was a potential scoring chance. One of my all time favourites.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
What did he win, one round before going to Pittsburgh? Kessel was money in the playoffs, but give Pavelski Crosby and Malkin instead of Thornton and Marleau to work with and he's likely got Cup(s) too.
Kessel had nothing with Toronto. Literally nothing. Look at those rosters. Before Kessel came to the Pens Crosby and Malkin were being called underachieving coach killers who would never win again. Kessel had just as much impact on the 16 and 17 Cups as anyone. He easily could have won the Conn Smythe in 2016 and there are still people who will argue he should have won it.

Pavelski aged much better than Kessel (and about 95% of all NHL players). His productivity throughout his later years really brought more attention and respect to his career.

To me it comes down if you value longevity or peak. Phil was better when they were at their best but Pavelski was better for longer.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think it's Pavelski quite easily. What was Kessel better than Pavelski at?
Better passing, skating, shot

But Pavelski was just a really smart player with some of the best hand-eye coordination ever.

I'm a bit surprised Kessell didn't age that well since he's a pretty smart player too but I'm assuming his physical skills (shot, skating) declined quite a bit in Arizona. Pavelski was never a guy that relied on his physical tools so not surprised he aged well.

So yeah, peak/prime Kessel, but Pavelski for overall longevity. Just aged much better.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think it's Pavelski quite easily. What was Kessel better than Pavelski at?
Scoring goals, playmaking, showing up in the playoffs, winning Stanley Cups

Guy went over a PPG playing with complete scrubs in Toronto in a significantly lower scoring era, those 80 point seasons would equate to about 100 point seasons, with Bozak as his C

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Better passing, skating, shot

But Pavelski was just a really smart player with some of the best hand-eye coordination ever.

I'm a bit surprised Kessell didn't age that well since he's a pretty smart player too but I'm assuming his physical skills (shot, skating) declined quite a bit in Arizona. Pavelski was never a guy that relied on his physical tools so not surprised he aged well.

So yeah, peak/prime Kessel, but Pavelski for overall longevity. Just aged much better.

I think that's because he didn't take conditioning very seriously. When he was in his prime, he was the type that could just show up and skate and shoot really well. When he got older, he lost speed.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Phil Kessel is a national treasure and an inspiration to the youth of 'Murica.

Kessel 3:16 says "I just a bunch of hot dogs and whooped your sorry ass!"

Phil Kessel: Hot dogs taste better out of the Cup

• Love
Reactions: DitchMarner

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
My one and only lasting memory of Pavelski vs Kessel is back before the NHL. Pavelski winning the NCAA championship with Wisconsin, while Kessel spurned his hometown team to play for Minnesota and lost in the opening round to the lowest seed Holy Cross lol. Karma for this:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They’re such different players that it’s hard to say. It really depends on the makeup of the team. Pavelski was so versatile, he could play any forward position, be a key guy in both offensive or defensive situations and was a great complementary player on a top line. He couldn’t drive a line offensively as well as Kessel though.

If I need someone to carry a line that gets a bunch of offensive starts and QB a PP, I’d take Kessel. I don’t think Pavelski would have been as valuable to the Pens in 16/17 as Kessel was based on how they were set-up. Or say Kane’s role when Chicago was winning. Meanwhile if I need someone to play a tougher two-way role on a team with more offense, or next to better offensive players, and play a net-front/bumper role on the PP I’d take Pavelski. If those same 16/17 Pens were adding either a second Kessel or a Pavelski, I’d take Pavelski, as he’d probably fit better next to Sid or Malkin or even bump Bonino down.

Their careers are somewhat similar as it depends a bit on what you want. I’d say Pavelski had the better regular season career due to his longevity, but Kessel had better playoff success, and was arguably better there. That said, I think Pavelski’s playoff career can be overlooked. He has runs of 14 and 13 goals, and several where he was above a PPG in over 10 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: DitchMarner

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium