Friedman: Phil Kessel looking for opportunity to return to NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just give him a.contrsct to get him to 1k points.

Useless plugs get deals all the time. There's got to be at least a couple.teams.thay could use a dirt cheap guy in their 2nd pp unit for a handful of games
Why? Why does any team have to give him a contract and gift him a chance at 1000k points? Why do organizations need to be nice and help Kessel reach 1000 points if it doesn't help their season.

Reactions: cptjeff

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
If he wasn't offered a contract last year, then I doubt he's going to get one this year. It makes you wonder why teams in the basement won't give him one just for the publicity, though.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He needs to be in game shape. He should be posting instagram videos of himself at the gym, jumping out of pools, skating faster than he's ever skated before. I don't care if he's speeding up the video. You can't just do nothing an expect a job. I'm looking at you, Mark Messier (coaching).
5idum_medium.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

If this were posted last offseason I would agree. I don’t understand why he wasn’t signed/didn’t get a PTO last season. Until later in the year with Vancouver.

I definitely understand why he isn’t now. He’s 37 years old and hasn’t played for over an entire season. There’s not many guys that get a chance at that age after being out that long.

If Sidney Crosby didn’t play last year at all, someone would undoubtedly sign him now. Maybe the same could be said about Toews, who didn’t play last year, if he were interested. Kessel isn’t them.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Just give him a.contrsct to get him to 1k points.

Useless plugs get deals all the time. There's got to be at least a couple.teams.thay could use a dirt cheap guy in their 2nd pp unit for a handful of games
Right? I mean even PLD got a contract.

:)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It is ridiculous that Phil Kessel can't get a PTO.

Steven Lorentz has a PTO are you telling me Steven Lorentz is a better player than Phil Kessel? because that's a lie, I know that's a lie I've seen Phil Kessel play quite a lot actually

Reactions: The Nuge

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It is ridiculous that Phil Kessel can't get a PTO.

Steven Lorentz has a PTO are you telling me Steven Lorentz is a player than Phil Kessel? because that's a lie, I know that's a lie I've seen Phil Kessel play quite a lot actually

I feel you, man, but you can’t sign Kessel to do what Lorentz will do potentially. Kessel is totally cooked as a scorer. If he doesn’t score, what does he do for you? Not much.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
FWIW it was reported that Phil didn't get a contract with the Canucks because we didn't have enough cap space to sign him. They were trying to move money out at the deadline and they couldn't.

Frankly I'm kind of shocked that a younger team wouldn't just throw him a PTO and see if he can stick around to be a good example for the younger guys - though probably not on the nutritional side of things.

Reactions: Menzinger

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One could say Paul shouldn't have gotten his . . . :naughty:
You aren't wrong, but Biz was also 29 in an era where teams really valued scrappers still. That and he kinda had a cult like following, so from a PR standpoint it wasn't horrible.

But being away for a year kinda hurts Kessel at this point

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I feel you, man, but you can’t sign Kessel to do what Lorentz will do potentially. Kessel is totally cooked as a scorer. If he doesn’t score, what does he do for you? Not much.

No you can't but the last time he was in the league he did put up 36 points in a depth role.

Nobody can use that?

Really?

But 38 year old Kulemin who has been out of the league for 6 years gets a PTO?

By the way I'm rooting for Kulemin but it is ridiculous

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
FWIW it was reported that Phil didn't get a contract with the Canucks because we didn't have enough cap space to sign him. They were trying to move money out at the deadline and they couldn't.

Frankly I'm kind of shocked that a younger team wouldn't just throw him a PTO and see if he can stick around to be a good example for the younger guys - though probably not on the nutritional side of things.
Two fold for me.

1 do we know for sure he hasn't been offered something, but just hasn't found the right PTO he wants?

2 if he truly hasn't been offered something. I wonder if now the Biz has the post out there that maybe he gets a flyer from a younger team.

End of the day you don't have to sign him, but if he shows well in camp why not sign him to league min and potentially flip him at deadline.

Kind of a no lose situation for a younger club

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Video is only about 3 seconds of action and then cycled on endless repeats. For all we know, Phil has already been biking for 2 hours and the guys in front just got there. Let's see the full 2-hour video and the post-workout fast foodfest before we decide for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad