News Article: Phil Kessel in Vancouver, working out in Abbotsford

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Again, I will state I am not comparing Mats Sundin to Phil Kessel. Both are/were different players at their peaks and different players coming into Vancouver.

The aspect that's similar is that both players joining a team mid-season after being away from the game for an extended period. At age 36-37, it's very hard. I remember Sundin coming in and looking like a pathetic joke in a January (we also lost 8 in a row which made our fanbase go nuts). We were ready to form a lynch mob on here....It took Sundin a good 4 weeks before he really came on.

This will be a lengthy process with Kessel. Not surprised he was struggling in the 1st practice. Doing skate drills on your own vs doing drills in practice are 2 vastly different things.

In conclusion, life stinks being in your late 30s. Enjoy your 20s!

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Jagr next. Then put them on a line together with Mikhayev or Lindholm.

I said don't

It's your luckyday, he shoot and miss

Back to topic, his skating seems to be fine? I still believe having player like him on the fourth line is very beneficial, he is one of the few players on the team that has stanley cup final experience.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Again, I will state I am not comparing Mats Sundin to Phil Kessel. Both are/were different players at their peaks and different players coming into Vancouver.

The aspect that's similar is that both players joining a team mid-season after being away from the game for an extended period. At age 36-37, it's very hard. I remember Sundin coming in and looking like a pathetic joke in a January (we also lost 8 in a row which made our fanbase go nuts). We were ready to form a lynch mob on here....It took Sundin a good 4 weeks before he really came on.

This will be a lengthy process with Kessel. Not surprised he was struggling in the 1st practice. Doing skate drills on your own vs doing drills in practice are 2 vastly different things.

In conclusion, life stinks being in your late 30s. Enjoy your 20s!
Yea, I think he definitely need a few games in the AHL. You don't want him to "get up to speed" playing in meaningful NHL games.

The good thing is, it is mid-February right now. Playoff is 2 months away, he should be ready to go when the "real season" begins. And he should be fresh come playoff time, having play less than 30 games this season and avoided the worst of the travel. Should be good for an older player.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Jagr next. Then put them on a line together with Mikhayev or Lindholm.

I said don't
I'd bring in Jagr for the hair alone. We need some more flow.

1707949220183.png

Yea, I think he definitely need a few games in the AHL. You don't want him to "get up to speed" playing in meaningful NHL games.

The good thing is, it is mid-February right now. Playoff is 2 months away, he should be ready to go when the "real season" begins. And he should be fresh come playoff time, having play less than 30 games this season and avoided the worst of the travel. Should be good for an older player.
Be good for Abbotsford as well. You'd imagine the Thrill might increase ticket sales for a bit, and he'd be a good guy to have around the players even for a week or so.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Paterson points out that getting Kessel onto the Canucks roster could result in them losing another player to waivers:

It could also limit what moves they can make before the deadline.

I'm not sure that I would be willing to depart with any of the existing depth at this time.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Paterson points out that getting Kessel onto the Canucks roster could result in them losing another player to waivers:

It could also limit what moves they can make before the deadline.

I'm not sure that I would be willing to depart with any of the existing depth at this time.

It was part of my concern as well. There is the deadline factor where who knows what's going on. If the Canucks make no moves and Soucy remains on IR, which is fully possible, they can just send down Woo and sign Kessel. No one gets waived and Soucy can be activated right away.

If they make any moves at the deadline, someone has to get moved out, waived, or LTIRed anyway.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It was part of my concern as well. There is the deadline factor where who knows what's going on. If the Canucks make no moves and Soucy remains on IR, which is fully possible, they can just send down Woo and sign Kessel. No one gets waived and Soucy can be activated right away.

If they make any moves at the deadline, someone has to get moved out, waived, or LTIRed anyway.

Perhaps they can hold of signing him until right before the deadline to see how things shake out. Sounds like he needs to work on his conditioning anyhow.

If they do sign him before they deadline, and they need that roster spot, I supposed they can always waive him, though he may not be too keen on that.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i would expect any signing of Kessel would be prefaced by other transactions.

Not to mention i expect Kessel is here because there's another transaction planned and he's going to pinch in and fill whatever hole is left.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
f*** yeah, bring on Phil. Love that hotdog eating mofo.

Still doesn't really address the fact that our defence probably couldn't last a single round, not even in terms of play but just inevitable attrition.

Reactions: racerjoe

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Who would go on waivers to make room if he does join the team? I think there’s a chance whoever it is will be claimed (actually more likely than not).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Doubt it happens too but Hoglander currently plays first line and still only gets 10mins a night. If Kessel has any sort of life left it could be an option.

I assume he’s basically here to bring the vibes and fill in here and there in the bottom six.
he does have stanley cup raising vibes

Reactions: PG Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad