News Article: Phil Kessel in Vancouver, working out in Abbotsford

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Literally no downside to bringing him in. Costs no assets and either it works or it doesn't and you can send him to Abby.
He's not going to be riding the bus in the AHL. You evaluate him now to see if he's a fit with the NHL team. If he is but on any specific game day he's not the best option, then he sits in the press box.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Kessel will bring the inspirational leadership this team needs.

Here are several famous Kessel quotes to align your mind and allow wisdom to soak your soul like a garden hose that has been run-over very often.

He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.

When you care what is outside, what is inside cares for you.
You must be like wolf pack, not six-pack.
We are number one. All others are number two, or lower.
They must have ripped the "Q" section out of my dictionary, 'cause I don't know the meaning of the word "quit".

Actually that last one might have been Garland.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are wise to kick the tires, before committing to a purchase. Not sure where Kessel fits in though. I thought the Canucks were looking for more size and grit up-front with the playoffs in mind.

I really hope they give Kessel a couple of games with Abbotsford.....you can watch a guy practice all you want....but until you see him in the heat of battle, you can never be sure where he's at. Besides, it might pump up attendance at the Abbotsford Center with Kessel in the lineup.

Reactions: Indiana

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Canucks are wise to kick the tires, before committing to a purchase. Not sure where Kessel fits in though. I thought the Canucks were looking for more size and grit up-front with the playoffs in mind.

I really hope they give Kessel a couple of games with Abbotsford.....you can watch a guy practice all you want....but until you see him in the heat of battle, you can never be sure where he's at. Besides, it might pump up attendance at the Abbotsford Center with Kessel in the lineup.
my preference as well. need someone to protect peyote and the boys

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If we sign him he's surely spending 8-10 games in the AHL to get back into game shape before getting called up.
I don't know what he'll need to do to get into game shape but I was more referring to be on the team then getting demoted.

Though I'm still skeptical about needing to start in the AHL, especially for 3-4 weeks. I don't know but if you're a career vet with 1000+ games I'd imagine you get a lot out of that extra rest time and know how to get game ready. For example Mats Sundin missed half the season then jumped straight to the NHL for us. Only way I could see it for Kessel is if Abbotsford has a home stretch so he can spend a week there or something before joining the Canucks. I mean looking at the numbers including playoff games the guy has 1386 career NHL games and 2 AHL games. And apart from not starting this year hasn't missed a game for 13 seasons.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i like that this creates buzz in the dressing room without expenditure of assets. not sure i can see him earning a lineup spot given how hard our depth forwards have worked but let's give it a whirl i guess.

Reactions: I am toxic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad