Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Travis Konecny re-signs with Flyers (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Right. And his shooting talent is valuable. But you’re moving the goal posts now, because goal scoring isn’t the same as play driving. Konecny isn’t a good play driver.

Weird how they didn’t even make the playoffs with that stacked top-6.

Hayes isn’t a bad player.
Just like Toronto got bounced in the 1st round with the most stacked offense in the league. There's more to a team than a top 6. Are you debating that their top 6 isn't stacked or are you just talking to talk? Flyers have a lot of other weaknesses.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

50 point center a bad player now? Come on.

Besides, the contract isn't even that bad. UFA centers just are expensive.

Paul Stastny got 7M AAV 5 years ago (over 1% higher pct of the cap then vs Hayes contract now). He identified as a similar type center, 2-way around 50 pts.

You rather overpay a center like that, than spend on dead weight.

Hayes isn't necessarily worth his money, but he's hardly a "bad" player.

Last year, they had over $10m tied up in Andrew MacDonald and Jori Lehtera.

Indeed, huge difference.

Reactions: hullsy47 and CNote

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just like Toronto got bounced in the 1st round with the most stacked offense in the league. There's more to a team than a top 6. Are you debating that their top 6 isn't stacked or are you just talking to talk? Flyers have a lot of other weaknesses.

Toronto easily makes the playoffs every year though and they put up a fight against good teams. Philadelphia struggles to make it as a wild card.

I’m not talking to talk. I’m telling you that you overrate the f*** out of all your players. Travis Konecny is not a top-line winger, just like Nolan Patrick is not a 2C/3C tweener, Ivan Provorov is not a #2D, and so on and so forth. Again, if half of these players were as good as you say they are, this team would not struggle to make the playoffs. There is no evidence to support the notion that Konecny in particular is a top liner.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I mean, his Corsi was 6th amongst Flyers forwards. Had a + Corsi Rel too. He is not Couturier in terms of play driving, and is complimentary in that regard as he needs to work on defense... but he has been a key part of some great Flyers lines.

Plus, when talking of play driving, he is one of THE BEST in the NHL at skating the puck up ice and making good decisions at the blue-lines with it.

Great post. Been saying this since Haskstoll was using him for 13 mins a game. My main beef with that coach. All he needs is an opportunity to play. Be put in positions to max out his talents. This is an insanely good contract when you compare it to Marner's, Konecny has a lot of further upside.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
How? Kap is 1 year older but last year Kap had 44 in 78 and 20 goals. Konecny had 24 and 49. How on earth is that not close?
Konecny brings so much more to his game on top of outscoring Kap while being younger. They're not good comparables imo. I can find two players with comparable numbers on paper and list them side by side and let's see if you agree with them being equal.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Love Konecny. One of my favourite young wingers.

This is a good deal for both sides, his potential is tough to gauge but the Flyers have enough talent at forward he should be worth this contract.

Reactions: CapnZin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Wow great deal for the Flyers, this gonna be a steal for them pretty soon

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m confused what these guys were holding out for....

Most of these RFA signings have been very reasonable and in line with what I’d expect they player would sign for

Reactions: FlyguyOX

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Toronto easily makes the playoffs every year though and they put up a fight against good teams. Philadelphia struggles to make it as a wild card.

I’m not talking to talk. I’m telling you that you overrate the **** out of all your players. Travis Konecny is not a top-line winger, just like Nolan Patrick is not a 2C/3C tweener, Ivan Provorov is not a #2D, and so on and so forth. Again, if half of these players were as good as you say they are, this team would not struggle to make the playoffs. There is no evidence to support the notion that Konecny in particular is a top liner.
These are valid points tbqh

That being said: it's time for the real Philadelphia Flyers to show up.

We've been every-other-year good and consistently inconsistent. This year, the cavalry we've been hoping for is finally here.
All of our high hopes D are making the team. No more Lehtera's or AMac's or Weiss' taking up roster spots. Have tremendous forward depth on paper. Good coaching finally. Have a bright spot in net instead of a retread.

There are no excuses for this team. It's time for us to get going.

Reactions: eramosat

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

I’m not talking to talk. I’m telling you that you overrate the **** out of all your players. Travis Konecny is not a top-line winger, just like Nolan Patrick is not a 2C/3C tweener, Ivan Provorov is not a #2D, and so on and so forth. Again, if half of these players were as good as you say they are, this team would not struggle to make the playoffs. There is no evidence to support the notion that Konecny in particular is a top liner.
There's plenty of evidence you're just ignoring it.

-He has been a 1st line winger for a season and a half on a stacked top 6 team. He's literally a 1st line winger

- He's 16th in the NHL in ESP/60, there's more than 8 NHL teams

-Provorov is indisputably a top pair defensemen

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’m confused what these guys were holding out for....

Most of these RFA signings have been very reasonable and in line with what I’d expect they player would sign for

Provorov missed no time at camp. TK missed a few days. What the downside in holding out till now? They didn't lose any money.

Reactions: BHD and Appleyard

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Wow. I had no expectation that Flyers could, or would, get both Provy and Konecny on long-term deals. Well done.

Only one very minor downside, that it puts them at max Cap once they make a 22+Pitlick roster. Currently have no room to promote anyone as injury replacement if another one occurs. Welcome to the Max cap considerations Flyer fans....we probably won't be seeing any Farabee or Frost multi day tryout promotions until Hagg or Morin is dealt with, waived or traded.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looks like the RFA fwds are following the RFA D men for contracts. Normalcy is being restored to the market. Teams are following internal salary structure rather than outlier overpayments from other teams. This is good for fiscally responsible GM's, not so good for bad negotiating GM's.

Reactions: skyo and Sasso09

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Any team signing 22 year old players with high upside like Konecny and Provorov to long term deals should be very happy to get them for market value. That is how you end up with contracts that are steals. Flyers should be very happy. At worst these contracts will still look fine.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
i think its a very good deal on a team that has a few bad deals.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Hm.. Can Provy spell playoffs? Cause the flyers struggle every year to even stay in the conversation. Youd think a team with such a superior #2 D man (or #1 as some of you proclaim) would be in the playoffs... right?
Conor McDavid must also be trash, yuppp.

Marner > McDavid

Solid argument kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad