Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I don't get the Flyers anger over this. It's been made obvious they don't want him, while he doesn't want to be there and is willing to sit out due to injury. This seems like the perfect scenario for LTIR where the Flyers get maximum cap relief and he gets paid to stay home.
Flyers love shooting themselves in the foot. I can't see any situation where you go after a player this way making your organization look more attractive to other free agents or players with NMCs who could block being traded to you.

It's dumb and not worth it. Of course the team is owned by Comcast who will try to **** you over for $20 despite a market cap of over $150B. So I guess they could think its worth making their team look less attractive to players if it saves them $8m.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
*traded to flyers*

"Owwww, hip actually hurts guys. I can't play now, actually."

*flyers doc look at him*

Yeah, I guess this could be causing him discomfort, but should be healed in a month or two tops.

*Almost time to report back to camp*

"Owwwww my hip still hurts so bad guys!!!11 I'm not sure I can play this year"

*Flyers say ok f this we could use the contract space. Lata playa. We got comcast lawyers up in here*
I bet everyone in the Flyers' front office calls everyone else "playa"

• Haha
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I just knew the whole material breach thing was going to become a tool, now any overpaid vet needs to walk on egg shells and hope they don't do or say the wrong thing.
The way I see it is if you wouldn't terminate your young star for the same offense than you shouldn't be able to terminate cap dumps.
If that situation can be proven (unfair implementation of contract termination based on age) it would 100% come up during the arbitration regarding eventual contract payout.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I'd think the opposite. Ultimately it is (or should be) up to a player's discretion if they play. Obviously I'm not referring to concussions and that kinda thing. But these wear and tear type injuries, especially where he's had multiple hip surgeries, it makes sense. It absolutely should be preference. Some rewards are worth the risk/effort, others are not.

A team attempting to force a player into playing opens up a much bigger can of worms than the reverse.

But having a wear-and-tear type injury where a player can arbitrarily decide to say "I refuse to play. Paycheck, please." is a dangerous precedent. Is any veteran traded off of a contender ever going to have to report to their new team, or can they just cite their common wear-and-tear as their preference for not having to stick it out on a worse team?

I don't see it is as a team "forcing" a player to play. Johansen was evidently medically cleared to play. He has a contract for him to play. If he doesn't want to abide by that contract, then it can get terminated.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The new method for cap dumps find a reason to cancel the contract. But what he did was was it worse than what Briere son did?
Is my sarcasm detector broken? (Hopefully)?

Not defending Briere's kid, but fortunately for 90% of the public being some combination of stupid/ignorant/classless isn't necessarily a crime. Not sure what that situation has to do with Briere's job performance as GM. Unless you believe that DB should step down because his progeny is a flipping moron? In that case there would be almost no one left actually working. (And if that's the case - hope you understand how karma works with cancel culture.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We don’t know the full story yet. Why bother pushing down the rabbit hole continually and just let facts materialize.

The smart aleck answer is because this is the internet, and we jump to conclusions so hard it's left a footprint indent 6 feet deep.

That said, I don't know for sure that the facts will materialize, but both the Flyers' and Johansen's versions of them probably will, and we'll probably be able to create a reasonable facsimile of the truth at that point.

Reactions: DaveG

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe was caught playing golf when he said that his hip wouldn't allow him to play hockey?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Is my sarcasm detector broken? (Hopefully)?

Not defending Briere's kid, but fortunately for 90% of the public being some combination of stupid/ignorant/classless isn't necessarily a crime. Not sure what that situation has to do with Briere's job performance as GM. Unless you believe that DB should step down because his progeny is a flipping moron? In that case there would be almost no one left actually working. (And if that's the case - hope you understand how karma works with cancel culture.)
Seems like these are two entirely unrelated myths🤷‍♂️

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Holy Hyperbole
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook calls it a career because of injury

Using Seabrook as an example - he had been trying to play through a variety of shoulder/hip issues for years. My understanding is he couldn't lift his arm over his shoulder. This is probably one of the more extreme cases, but most players who've played their entire adult lives have a number of physical ailments that will hinder them for the remainder of their lives.

Reactions: BernieParent

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I approve of the August drama the NHL is providing this year.

From the TSN article, here's Brier's comment in June. "claims"

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/philadelphia-flyers-put-f-ryan-johansen-on-unconditional-waivers-citing-material-breach-1.2164025 said:
"He's going through some kind of rehab," Briere told NHL.com June. "He had an injection; claims he has a hip injury. At this point, honestly I'm not too sure where it's at. We're not sure if he's going to need surgery, or if he's going to be ready for camp. We don't really know at this point."

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Can the Flyers do anything right? Lmao
Really?

1724177586346.png

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
But having a wear-and-tear type injury where a player can arbitrarily decide to say "I refuse to play. Paycheck, please." is a dangerous precedent. Is any veteran traded off of a contender ever going to have to report to their new team, or can they just cite their common wear-and-tear as their preference for not having to stick it out on a worse team?

I don't see it is as a team "forcing" a player to play. Johansen was evidently medically cleared to play. He has a contract for him to play. If he doesn't want to abide by that contract, then it can get terminated.
I mean there's been dozens of LTIRetirements that've been exactly that. Like I said in an earlier post, it's the best solution where the team gets cap relief and the player gets paid. A win-win. But as usual the Flyers can't get out of their own way.

There's a huge grey area between being healthy and "medically cleared" to play. Telling a player that's had multiple surgeries that he's good to go despite the player disagreeing is an obviously dangerous precedent. But that'd be an easy win for the NHLPA if it is indeed that simple

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Evergreen

I don't get the Flyers anger over this. It's been made obvious they don't want him, while he doesn't want to be there and is willing to sit out due to injury. This seems like the perfect scenario for LTIR where the Flyers get maximum cap relief and he gets paid to stay home.
There are downsides of using LTIR. Specifically, teams using LTIR don't accumulate cap space, and any performance bonuses earned during the season (such as those that Michkov will likely earn) will automatically carry over to next season's cap. The Flyers don't want carry-over cap hits in the future, when they are more likely to be competitive.

Reactions: sting101

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
There are downsides of using LTIR. Specifically, teams using LTIR don't accumulate cap space, and any performance bonuses earned during the season (such as those that Michkov will likely earn) will automatically carry over to next season's cap. The Flyers don't want carry-over cap hits in the future, when they are more likely to be competitive.
Don't get me wrong it's not a perfect situation/solution. But this does seem like an odd hill to die on and one that's likely to piss off some players. But with how they handled Couturier that ship has probably sailed already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad