Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Flyers trade 32OV pick for EDM top-12 protected 1st in 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Amazing trade for the Oil.

A draft pick this year is worth more than next year.

If the pick ends up being in the 20-32 range next year it doesn’t really matter. Value wise the Oilers got a kid they felt valued in that range anyways.

Plus this year you know for a fact you are getting a kid you like. Next year, who knows.

And Sam O Reilly is a complete stud. Oozes hockey IQ. Oozes star potential. Plays a complete 200 ft game. Super smart. Skilled. High motor. Garanteed NHLer.
Why wasn’t he drafted higher then?

The player that you’re describing should be at least a top-15 pick.

O’Reilly is not that good and is a consensus second rounder according to all the rankings.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why wasn’t he drafted higher then?

The player that you’re describing should be at least a top-15 pick.

O’Reilly is not that good and is a consensus second rounder according to all the rankings.
Why wasn’t Jason Robertson drafted higher?

Scouts don’t always get it right. They are sleeping on O Reilly. But not even really, lots of scouts saw him as a late riser. He’s been trending up all year. If the year was longer his trajectory may have put him right into the first round. Some scouts definitely had him there.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Why wasn’t Jason Robertson drafted higher?

Scouts don’t always get it right. They are sleeping on O Reilly. But not even really, lots of scouts saw him as a late riser. He’s been trending up all year. If the year was longer his trajectory may have put him right into the first round. Some scouts definitely had him there.
You're probably one of those who tried to make it out like it was a good move by the Oilers when they didn't draft Wallstedt.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like that the org picked a guy. They felt the rest of the league was under rating him. They stuck their neck out for him on this one so we'll see how good the org is

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Oh Gawdddddd the trade didn’t make sense either.

Perhaps if the Flyers are picking 29th or 30th it might make a little bit of sense.

Unless McBeastie and co can return to the finals.
The pick could end up being the 20th pick.

If O'Reilly is a hit, and that 20th pick is a bust.

Do the Flyers still win the trade in 5-6 years?

Feb 5, 2016
The pick could end up being the 20th pick.

If O'Reilly is a hit, and that 20th pick is a bust.

Do the Flyers still win the trade in 5-6 years?
Or what if O’Reilly is a bust and the pick is a hit?

Flyers could win the trade sooner or Edmonton could win the trade later.

Anything could happen McDavid might have a surgery in the off-season, or Draisaitl might blow out his knee next season anything could happen McDavid might have a surgery in the off-season, or Draisaitl might blow out his knee and be lost for the season rendering a tank.

Or the Oilers could trade the 2026 first at the next deadline giving the flyers and unprotected 2025 pick totally assuming the Oilers make the playoffs of course.

Like I said, before I made the first post before the conditions were posted.

• Haha
Reactions: Skolman

Rebel247

Mar 19, 2022
Who knows how it pans out. If the Flyers ere not in love with anyone at 32 and the Oilers were then hopefully it works out for both teams. Interviews with Briere seem like the Flyers want to have plenty of ammo to make moves up next draft.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What if the Oilers traded the 32nd pick in the 2024 draft and gave the flyers a 2026 unprotected 1st that ended up as a first overall lottery pick, that would be something.

The odds of the Flyers, picking at 32nd overall again depends on the Oilers.
Keyword: IF.

Oilers won’t be drafting anywhere near 1OA in the next 2 years. Realistically looking at 24-32. And the pick is likely going to be in 2025 top 12 protected.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Or what if O’Reilly is a bust and the pick is a hit?

Flyers could win the trade sooner or Edmonton could win the trade later.

Anything could happen McDavid might have a surgery in the off-season, or Draisaitl might blow out his knee next season anything could happen McDavid might have a surgery in the off-season, or Draisaitl might blow out his knee and be lost for the season rendering a tank.

Or the Oilers could trade the 2026 first at the next deadline giving the flyers and unprotected 2025 pick totally assuming the Oilers make the playoffs of course.

Like I said, before I made the first post before the conditions were posted.

You can use IF for literally any prospect drafted this year. What if O Reilly is a stud and whoever the Flyers get is a bust?

The Oilers didn’t lose a 1st round pick here. They swapped a later first round pick for an earlier one. Either of these draft picks may or may not work out for either team.

Feb 5, 2016

Oilers won’t be drafting anywhere near 1OA in the next 2 years. Realistically looking at 24-32. And the pick is likely going to be in 2025 top 12 protected.
The odds of the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup in 2025 or 2026 are fairly decent, but the Stars are going to be reloading their roster so the WCF will be hotly contested again next season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The odds of the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup in 2025 or 2026 are fairly decent, but the Stars are going to be reloading their roster so the WCF will be hotly contested again next season.
It’s always hotly contested. If not Stars, the Avs, if not Avs, the Knights. But it’s likely, nearly garanteed, that Oilers will be in that picture. So essentially we are looking at picks in 24-32 range for 2025 or 2026.

If the the Oilers feel they could get a player in 2024 that’s worth better than 24 overall, they should make that bet and take O Reilly. Cause in 2025 and 2026 theylll have no idea what prospects theyll be looking at. They know this year though, that O Reilly is available and they like him.

O Reilly, btw looks like a player. I’m not a huge fan of the Oilers drafting work, but this kid is gonna hit.

Feb 5, 2016
It’s always hotly contested. If not Stars, the Avs, if not Avs, the Knights. But it’s likely, nearly garanteed, that Oilers will be in that picture. So essentially we are looking at picks in 24-32 range for 2025 or 2026.

If the the Oilers feel they could get a player in 2024 that’s worth better than 24 overall, they should make that bet and take O Reilly. Cause in 2025 and 2026 theylll have no idea what prospects theyll be looking at. They know this year though, that O Reilly is available and they like him.

O Reilly, btw looks like a player. I’m not a huge fan of the Oilers drafting work, but this kid is gonna hit.
I agree that Sam O’Reilly is a prospect that’s likely to hit as a bottom 6 NHLer whether it at C or RW depends on O’Reilly, it may take awhile for O’Reilly to reach that potential as he could be looking at 3-5 years of development including time in the AHL.

It could also take the pick that was traded just as much time to develop whoever that pick is next season or the season after.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I agree that Sam O’Reilly is a prospect that’s likely to hit as a bottom 6 NHLer whether it at C or RW depends on O’Reilly, it may take awhile for O’Reilly to reach that potential as he could be looking at 3-5 years of development including time in the AHL.

It could also take the pick that was traded just as much time to develop whoever that pick is next season or the season after.
I think that’s his floor. His ceiling is much higher. The hockey IQ he possesses will drive higher results than bottom 6. But we shall see.

Oilers have had picks in this range before. 2025 and 2026 could be Yamamoto or Bourgault again for all we know. We don’t know. But what we do know is O Reilly is available in 2024 and can be had. I think they rightfully targeted this guy and found a gem, they obviously think so too, so why not take a shot at it.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
Next year is deeper should be a banned phrase

Most scouting reports called this a pure development draft after about 5 or 6. Next year is predicted to have guys around 15 to 20 who maybe ready for the NHL in 1 or 2 years. After about 5 this year I think we are looking at 3 to 4 years for most of the picks

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If I am reading the deal right. It could be this years 32 for next years 13th? Is that correct. There is a big difference between those two drafting spots. For me this draft class is very underwhelming and lacking. I do not think we are comparing 32 to 32 here. I do not see the Oilers duplicating their success in the playoffs next year.

May not be as successful as this year, but do you really think they'll miss the playoffs? (Which is what would have to happen for them to get the 13th pick).

Flyers' prospect next year is likely to be the better player, since it will likely be somewhere in the 20's, but apparently Oilers really felt O'Reilly was a player they had to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad