Proposal: PHI-CAR

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
With the news that Carolina is moving on from Necas and Michkov joining the Flyers next season, both teams make a move that benefits them.

To CAR:
Travis Konecny

To PHI:
Martin Necas

The return for TK at the deadline is likely in line with what CAR is expecting to get for Necas.

Carolina gets a feisty top line winger on an expiring deal and Philly gets a low end 1C/high end 2C to help Michkov.

Who says no? Who adds?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You are going to have to pay both guys long-term and although Necas is a couple years younger and has obvious upside (his most common linemates in Carolina were Drury, Kotkaniemi, Bunting, Noesen - not exactly a who's who) - I'd value TK more. He just plays a more aggressive game, and he was able to essentially be the fulcrum of the entire Philly offense this past season. He produced with hardly any help. I also don't see Necas as an ideal center - this looks like a swap of RWers to me. I'd think you'd have better luck playing Michkov at center TBH.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If they lose out on Necas it will be because they don't want to pay him and negotiations fell through. Trading for a UFA doesn't help them too much. The value at deadline is irrelevant because Carolina plans on being playoff contenders. They aren't trading him at the deadline. They will have to pay him the following year/extend in July, or lose him for nothing. You'll also probably have to sign him for 7 years most likely.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
If they lose out on Necas it will be because they don't want to pay him and negotiations fell through. Trading for a UFA doesn't help them too much. The value at deadline is irrelevant because Carolina plans on being playoff contenders. They aren't trading him at the deadline. They will have to pay him the following year/extend in July, or lose him for nothing. You'll also probably have to sign him for 7 years most likely.
I mentioned the deadline thing to give a sense of the value. TK at the deadline would fetch a first and prospect with ease. That gives us a baseline of what he is worth with one year left on his deal. I think the Canes might expect something similar as a return for Necas. All to say, I feel like the value is close between the two if we think about it this way, not that Carolina will sell TK.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
seeing how the canes dont give out massive contracts to guys who havent played here before, this would be a massive gamble by Carolina and a poor use of a prime RFA asset.

Reactions: SnS

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Where did I say that?
Didn't say you did, it was a question based on your comment.

You said you want Necas to play with TK. A sensible assumption is you then want to re-sign him no? Otherwise who cares if they played 1 year together.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Didn't say you did, it was a question based on your comment.

You said you want Necas to play with TK. A sensible assumption is you then want to re-sign him no? Otherwise who cares if they played 1 year together.

I think we need to add talent. Not add garbage. So yea, I think re-signing TK is the move unless blown away with a major offer that nobody will offer.

Half the Flyers team is garbage and thats a fact.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I think we need to add talent. Not add garbage. So yea, I think re-signing TK is the move unless blown away with a major offer that nobody will offer.

But doesn't that need to be balanced against the potential that by the time the Flyers are actually in position to compete that TK will not be trash but overpaid for his current declining production?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Your fact.

Re-signing TK is a typical Flyers move and dumb on all fronts. He will be 28 when he signs his shinny ext with the Flyers. He will not age well. He will be on the downside if/when the Flyers ever return to contention. Makes zero sense where the Flyers are at to re-sign TK at 8 years for 9 million per.

They already have a bad long term contract with #14. This is doing the same thing over.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Your fact.

Re-signing TK is a typical Flyers move and dumb on all fronts. He will be 28 when he signs his shinny ext with the Flyers. He will not age well. He will be on the downside if/when the Flyers ever return to contention. Makes zero sense where the Flyers are at to re-sign TK at 8 years for 9 million per.

They already have a bad long term contract with #14. This is doing the same thing over.

The same flyers bullshit is the mediocre nonsense such as signing garbage and trading for garbage.
More than half the Flyers roster is poop and shouldn’t be on the team or on any NHL team.

We won’t agree on anything regarding the state of the Flyers so it’s best you probably stop responding to me because it’s a waste of both of our time.

Because TK and SC are the same person. Right.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
There’s no reason to trade TK for Necas or trade TK for anything less than an overpayment.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether giving TK an 8 x 9 contract with where the Flyers are is a good thing or not.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether giving TK an 8 x 9 contract with where the Flyers are is a good thing or not.

Teams can’t just ice a bunch of prospects and teens. It’s okay to have some skilled vets, but especially when he took major strides this year in other aspects.

I just think trading him for less than an overpayment in not the right move and he should be re-upped.

There are a hell of a lot worst contracts on this roster than a 9M cap hit for TK going forward, especially with the cap rising.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The same flyers bullshit is the mediocre nonsense such as signing garbage and trading for garbage.
More than half the Flyers roster is poop and shouldn’t be on the team or on any NHL team.

We won’t agree on anything regarding the state of the Flyers so it’s best you probably stop responding to me because it’s a waste of both of our time.

Because TK and SC are the same person. Right.
That is your opinion and false.

Not the same person, same premise. Flyers will never learn. Never sell high.

Same Flyers BS you say, yet you want to re-sign TK.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Teams can’t just ice a bunch of prospects and teens. It’s okay to have some skilled vets, but especially when he took major strides this year in other aspects.

I just think trading him for less than an overpayment in not the right move and he should be re-upped.

There are a hell of a lot worst contracts on this roster than a 9M cap hit for TK going forward, especially with the cap rising.
Why would a team "overpay" for TK? He is a nice complementary player. Overvaluing him is one reason he won't get moved, Same with others on the roster.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021

It's not that I don't agree with what you're saying in the abstract. But we already have to deal with three more years of Risto and the dicey contracts of Sanheim and Couturier. Potentially adding another one is very risky.

But the other part of this is they also need to add players with star level potential that can grow with Michkov. And since they refuse to tank to get them, trading TK for a relatively high pick/prospect provides another shot at that.

Just not a lot of great options since Fletcher backed this team so far into a corner.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It’s pretty obvious from the eye test that a lot of the Flyers players should not be on the roster.

High? Sure. Fair value or less? No.
Well tell me who comprises half the roster that shouldn't be on the roster or in the NHL?

Staal and ND

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad