Confirmed Trade: [PHI/CAR] Tony DeAngelo for 2022 4th, 2023 3rd, 2024 2nd

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With Tony it starts with his Dad who is just not a very good person. He's a chip off the old block with that.

He's not a physical player. Look at his hits and he tends to avoid getting hit. He's small and not very strong. What confuses some people a bit is that for his size (he's not a heavyweight and would get killed by the leagues best knucklechuckers) he's a very good fighter...but that's like a two or three times a year thing and constantly yapping at the opposition doesn't hurt or intimidate anyone.

His defending is below average. Sometimes it's really bad. The gaudy +/- from last year is because he got to play with Slavin (an outstanding defender) riding shotgun for him and on a team that focuses on playing good D. You almost never see him on the penalty kill....even when his team is down 2D.

He does have very slick offensive skills and can really run a power play in pretty much every aspect. Walk the line, very mobile all over the blue line, excellent passer in those kinds of situations and very good at getting open for one timers.....and capable of finishing too. It's a shame in a way that he's never worked hard enough to improve his defensive game because if he could get to okay he'd be a much much better player.

All in all I don't see him and Torts getting along very well. Tony will have to keep opinions that might lead to dressing room conflict to himself. Torts likes his D to defend and not take shortcuts. The Flyers don't have a defenseman like Slavin to ride shotgun for him and Torts will bench his D if they don't play the way he wants and it doesn't matter how much money they make. Not that Laine is a D but he found out real quick that lackadaisical two way play doesn't cut it with Torts.

As a Rangers fan I was not a fan. Tony's run in with Georgiev very much helped to f*** up our 20-21 season which started with that disaster and ended with Wilson of Washington power slamming Panarin to the ice. Tony couldn't keep his mouth shut. Those two events on either end of the season pretty much told the story for us that year.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
People say hes a racist because of this, but whad he say? A brief search says there were no PoC on that Sarnia team. Overreaction to Bundle of sticks?

Apparently they did their level best to suppress the information about what he actually said, because it was rather pedestrian, at least compared to what used to get said back in the 80s and 90s. You can bet if he dropped the N-Bomb that would have come out.

I had to search for a while to find it but apparently once he said “I’ll break your jew nose” to somebody, and also called someone else a C-sucker, which apparently now is considered a “homophobic” term.

And then he posted stuff they didn’t agree with politically on Twitter, and got beat up by his goaltender in NY. And that was basically it. I mean wow.

Last edited:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Morning paper in NY: Our information is that DeAngelo, who was an impending restricted free agent, was willing to take a one-year deal with the ’Canes for well under the $5 million AAV he ultimately received on his two-year contract with the Flyers after he’d been traded to Philadelphia. But to no avail.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DeAngelo is an excellent offensive d-man who needs to be paired with a strong defensive partner in order to maximize his value. Not sure who on the Flyers will fill that role but you know under Torts things will be tightened up and someone will emerge either internally or through a trade. It's a two-year deal and the $$$ aren't bad for what he brings to the table. If he does well-great. If not, it's not an albatross of a deal. As for the off-ice stuff, it seems like this is more of a HF fixation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Apparently they did their level best to suppress the information about what he actually said, because it was rather pedestrian, at least compared to what used to get said back in the 80s and 90s. You can bet if he dropped the N-Bomb that would have come out.

I had to search for a while to find it but apparently once he said “I’ll break your jew nose” to somebody, and also called someone else a C-sucker, which apparently now is considered a “homophobic” term.

And then he posted stuff they didn’t agree with politically on Twitter, and got beat up by his goaltender in NY. And that was basically it. I mean wow.
Not sure where you're getting this info. Whatever he did in junior was serious enough for his own team to suspend their best player.

And in the NHL he has red flagged his way out of four organizations already, despite being one of the best RHD scorers in the league. It's not like there's a shortage of teams looking for that.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
On top of being a piece of shit human though, one of the other compelling aspects to TDA’s personality is the pathetic narcissism he demonstrated with his burner accounts on social media, that were quite clearly linked to him yet he denied having a part of. But all this is consistent with him being an insecure d-bag.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
DeAngelo is an excellent offensive d-man who needs to be paired with a strong defensive partner in order to maximize his value. Not sure who on the Flyers will fill that role but you know under Torts things will be tightened up and someone will emerge either internally or through a trade. It's a two-year deal and the $$$ aren't bad for what he brings to the table. If he does well-great. If not, it's not an albatross of a deal. As for the off-ice stuff, it seems like this is more of a HF fixation.
It's his 5th club and he's 26... I don't get how people think this is a HF fixation. It has been with him since junior and a reason why multiple clubs have let him go already.

Reactions: mattihp

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
potential partners are Provorov, Sanheim and York. All have 30-40 pts outputs.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Pitt is in a tough position where they are very clearly past their peak and don’t really have a shot at winning another Cup. But out of respect of having a couple of the greatest players of all time they still have to go for it.

Malkin and Crosby are hanging on by a thread as far as their careers are concerned and Pitt knows that

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pitt is in a tough position where they are very clearly past their peak and don’t really have a shot at winning another Cup. But out of respect of having a couple of the greatest players of all time they still have to go for it.

Malkin and Crosby are hanging on by a thread as far as their careers are concerned and Pitt knows that
Sir, this is an Arby’s.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm not a TDA basher but the notion that all he did as a NY Ranger was his dustup with our backup goalie is wrong. If you go back and read the management and coaches had spoken with Tony in private several times. That was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Reactions: GbgRanger

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And in the NHL he has red flagged his way out of four organizations already, despite being one of the best RHD scorers in the league. It's not like there's a shortage of teams looking for that.

I won’t claim anything about prior teams, but by all accounts he didn’t red flag his way out of Carolina. He had no issues and Rod liked him.

It simply came down to perceived value. Tony and his agent saw a 50+ point defenseman and valued him as such. Carolina saw a guy that is best suited for 3rd pairing and 1st PP and didn’t value that at $5M. Philly has said they are going to play him in a role with less defensive responsibilities, so they see him similarly to how Carolina did, but placed higher value on that role.

Both parties were complimentary of each other after parting ways. It was a business decision.

Reactions: Tryamw and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I won’t claim anything about prior teams, but by all accounts he didn’t red flag his way out of Carolina. He had no issues and Rod liked him.

It simply came down to perceived value. Tony and his agent saw a 50+ point defenseman and valued him as such. Carolina saw a guy that is best suited for 3rd pairing and 1st PP and didn’t value that at $5M. Philly has said they are going to play him in a role with less defensive responsibilities, so they see him similarly to how Carolina did, but placed higher value on that role.

Both parties were complimentary of each other after parting ways. It was a business decision.
Fair point. It's still pretty crazy that a RHD who can put up 50 points in < 70 games, double digits in goals, and isn't quite 27 yet, only gets a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in a trade though. I have a hard time believing his history doesn't play into that, given how nearly every team in the league is always on the lookout for RHDs. You have to think there would be league-wide interest in a player like this without a history.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

He demonstrably had issues on the ice in the playoffs though. Visible for everyone to see.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Fair point. It's still pretty crazy that a RHD who can put up 50 points in < 70 games, double digits in goals, and isn't quite 27 yet, only gets a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in a trade though. I have a hard time believing his history doesn't play into that, given how nearly every team in the league is always on the lookout for RHDs. You have to think there would be league-wide interest in a player like this without a history.
You have to look at how Carolina operates.

They thought $5M for Lindholm and Hanifin was too much and shipped them out as RFAs. (And was a mistake with Lindholm). They didn’t value Faulk at his ask and traded him. They valued Hamilton at much less and let him go. Nedeljkovic wanted more than backup money so even though he was a Calder finalist, they traded him. Etc, etc.

If Tony’s situation was unique, I’d think there was more to it, but it’s not unique.

Trocheck and Nino will probably command more as well and move on.

It’s how Carolina operates. They spend to the cap, but aren’t going to spend over what they feel a player’s value is.

Reactions: Tryamw

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You have to look at how Carolina operates.

They thought $5M for Lindholm and Hanifin was too much and shipped them out as RFAs. (And was a mistake with Lindholm). They didn’t value Faulk at his ask and traded him. They valued Hamilton at much less and let him go. Nedeljkovic wanted more than backup money so even though he was a Calder finalist, they traded him. Etc, etc.

If Tony’s situation was unique, I’d think there was more to it, but it’s not unique.

Trocheck and Nino will probably command more as well and move on.

It’s how Carolina operates. They spend to the cap, but aren’t going to spend over what they feel a player’s value is.
No, I agree on how they value players. They have a history of drawing hard lines on what they will and will not pay players. I'm only talking about the return they got in the trade. It's hard to think his history wasn't factored into the price teams were willing to pay, given what he was ultimately traded for.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's hard to think his history wasn't factored into the price teams were willing to pay, given what he was ultimately traded for.
That’s probably true. The value would take his past into account. Still, a 2nd,3rd and 4th isn’t a bad return, even if the picks are spread among multiple drafts.

Weird as it sounds, Carolina seems to trade some guys to situations that is advantageous to the player.

They traded Ned to Detroit, which was near his Fiancé who attends Michigan State. They traded Tony to his Childhood team. They traded Bean in conference to a team where he’s get more playing time.

Probably a coincidence as it’s counter to the business approach, but it’s happened more than once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad