Proposal: Phi-Caps blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Philadelphia:
Ivan Provorov
Claude Giroux

Caps:
1st 2022
Anthony Mantha
Alexander Alexeyev
Hendrix Lapierre

+ for cap reasons Carl Hagelin, Justin Schultz and Michel Kempny.
You made this offer just so Mantha and JVR can put every all you can eat buffet out of business

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agree with the consensus that Provorov just doesn't fit this deal for either team.

Caps can't realistically fit Giroux under the cap, even at 50%, if Backstrom and Mantha return before the playoffs. But if one of them is out long enough, then Giroux suddenly becomes a very enticing piece to fill the gap left by either of them.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I see what OP is going for here but I agree with the consensus; Provorov is a bridge too far in this deal.

Remove Provorov and simplify.

Giroux 50% retained for 1st + 2nd

Probably as high as the Caps will likely go, also quite possibly not enough but the Caps aren’t going to go much higher and they’re not going to trade McMichael, Lapierre, or Alexeyev for a rental.

Giroux isn’t an ideal fit so I’m not even sure the Caps would entertain ANY deal for him. If JVR were expiring and made half what he does now I could see interest but otherwise I don’t see much on that corpse the Caps would pick at.
Not enough for Giroux. Need a young player who can step into the lineup. More likely McMichael and a 1st

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not enough for Giroux. Need a young player who can step into the lineup. More likely McMichael and a 1st

I don't think a 33 year old pending UFA in Giroux gets a 1st and grade A prospect. Probably a Grade A and 2nd rounder or a 1st and Grade B. He's not getting more than what Stone returned in a sign/trade

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Isn't the Caps tight against the Cap?

Backstrom hasn't played yet and is on LTIR. Supposedly he should be back in a month or so.

Mantha had shoulder surgery about a month ago, and no one knows when he is coming back. He is on IR, but could be placed on LTIR.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Backstrom hasn't played yet and is on LTIR. Supposedly he should be back in a month or so.

Mantha had shoulder surgery about a month ago, and no one knows when he is coming back. He is on IR, but could be placed on LTIR.

I don't see the Flyers making that trade but if they are open to it and the Caps can fit it in their cap, The Caps should do it

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I don't see the Flyers making that trade but if they are open to it and the Caps can fit it in their cap, The Caps should do it

Ah, like @Hivemind said it would only work from a cap standpoint and roster construction standpoint if either Backstrom or Mantha are Kucherov'd until the playoffs, but we don't have an idea what the timeline or situation is right now.

And knowing Philly, they would pump up the ask to a divisional rival.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Caps just aren't going to sell their future competitiveness off for a rental when they are not close to desperate to add the player. If its a buyer's market and a 1st round pick and top prospect arent required, maybe.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Caps just aren't going to sell their future competitiveness off for a rental when they are not close to desperate to add the player. If its a buyer's market and a 1st round pick and top prospect arent required, maybe.
I don’t think there’s a single team in a 30 Team League that pays that price for 33-yr old pending UFA Giroux.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t think there’s a single team in a 30 Team League that pays that price for 33-yr old pending UFA Giroux.

Somebody desperate for a 1c might pay the 1st. The Caps might need a 2LW for a line where the RW is a star. Imagine G might be in heaven getting to skate with Backstrom and Oshie

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Somebody desperate for a 1c might pay the 1st. The Caps might need a 2LW for a line where the RW is a star. Imagine G might be in heaven getting to skate with Backstrom and Oshie
Honestly I doubt this even more. Let’s take a team perennially starved for a 1C with arguably the worst C depth in the League, the Montreal Canadiens. Surely they’d love Giroux, right?

Do they pay a Caufield + a likely Top 10 pick for Giroux? More than doubtful.

The point is teams desperate for a 1C are likely near the Draft Lottery. 1st Rd picks and Top Prospects are indispensable for those teams. I don’t see a Team that’s a Playoff Lock such that they’re willing to pay a 1st, that also has a Top (but not Elite) Prospect, that also need a 1C enough to justify trading that 1ST AND That Prospect for a 33-yr old pending UFA with no contract certainty.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Caps don't “need” Giroux. - I hate it.
The Flyers shouldn’t trade Provorov. - I hate it a Lot.
The Caps trade Lapierre, Alexeyev, and a 1st (also Mantha, Hagelin, Schultz…) for Provorov and a Rental they could never retain - I hate it even more.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Honestly I doubt this even more. Let’s take a team perennially starved for a 1C with arguably the worst C depth in the League, the Montreal Canadiens. Surely they’d love Giroux, right?

Do they pay a Caufield + a likely Top 10 pick for Giroux? More than doubtful.

The point is teams desperate for a 1C are likely near the Draft Lottery. 1st Rd picks and Top Prospects are indispensable for those teams. I don’t see a Team that’s a Playoff Lock such that they’re willing to pay a 1st, that also has a Top (but not Elite) Prospect, that also need a 1C enough to justify trading that 1ST AND That Prospect for a 33-yr old pending UFA with no contract certainty.

I was specific about them maybe spending a first. I took it no further. A first and an NHL ready player for a rental makes no sense

Reactions: StephenPeat

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Very interested in Giroux, don’t understand the interest in Provorov unless there’s a long-term injury for one of Washington’s top four. Orlov-Jensen has been one of the best pairings in the NHL and Fehervary should be getting Norris consideration for his work alongside Carlson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad